In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crossbows

iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
I've had a handicap permit to use a crossbow for close to a decade. Didn't do much last year due to weather, work, and somewhat dis-interest. I'm shooting a Barnett Revolution which is fairly old school these days. It always was extremely accurate close up but unimpressive beyond 30 yards.
This year I decided to change it up and bought a 3x scope. Wow, what a difference. I didn't realize how vague the red dot sight picture really was. Yesterday afternoon I zeroed the scope and shot a few bolts at 40 yards. Definitely won't be shooting multiple broadheads at the same target spot. Three shots from 40 yards using a standing rest over a tripod inside 2 1/2" with 2 bolts' vanes touching is the best I've been able to accomplish EVER.
Is it fair to allow everyone to hunt with a crossbow? I didn't make the rules and actually feel it isn't fair. I went through the steps , got a Doctor's slip, and requested permission to use the crossbow. Like flipping the switch MDC granted everyone the same allowance. MDC justified the change as "allowing more people to bow hunt" while cutting the number of animals each bow hunter can harvest. Sounds more like MDC wants to sell more tags.

Comments

• iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Crossbows are now legal in MI. I've hunted 21 years with a compound. Just curious if there's any advantages to using a cross bow, Greater range with accuracy? Carrying? Reduced noise? Whatever.

I'll hunt this year with my compound but was wondering about switching. Gettin older and harder to draw 55lbs when it's colder.

Thanks,

Jim
    edited November -1
    Please don't jump all over me with both feet(long bow puritans) but I thought since they have limbs,strings and shoot fletched projectiles that I could ask.....
    Our hunting regulations are changing next year and I'm toying with the idea of a crossbow... Any suggestions????
    I was a recurve shooter for years, then a compound, but a nagging shoulder injury has ended my archery pleasure.
    I still want to hunt up close and personal, so I think a crossbow might work for me...
    edited November -1
    any one on here hunt with a crossbow. and if so would recommend one
    edited November -1
    This year TN changed the regulations to permit crossbow use during the regular archery season. Thinking about trying it out next year. Two questions.

First...what do all you "regular" bow hunters think about using crossbows in the regular archery season?

Second...what is a good, solid crossbow to buy for hunting?

Thanks!
    edited November -1
    For the money, what is out there better then a Horton Legend?
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to answer your first question. i dont' like it. i dont' want to stir anything up, that's not my intent. i wouldn't mind if they put it in with muzzle loading or something like that. the only reason i dont' think it is fair is because a cross bow hunter does not have to draw his bow back on his prey. and we all know that is half the battle. the other advantage a crossbow has is a longer shot accuracy. i have no problems with crossbows, i just don't think they should get an equal amount of early season hunting time as we do. just my $.02

as for your second question, i dont' know that much about crossbows at all. i know that the one's people i do know use are about 150lbs of draw.

40 and counting...
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on the reason why crossbow use is permitted.
    I live in a special regulations area, which means, there are way too many deer and the game commission has attempted to get as many hunters in the woods as possible. They have changed the safety zone requirement from 150 yards, to 50 yards(when hunting with a bow), additional hunting days, seasons, and most recently, they allow crossbows to be used during ANY deer season. Even during the primitive flintlock season, hunters can harvest a deer with a crossbow.
    Do I lkike it? Well, if we need more deer killed around here, I have no problem with it. But would I approve of using a crossbow during an archery season, just "because" crossbows are bows? Hell no.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't really like it either. Because shooting a regular bow is much harder then a crossbow. Although the accuracy of a crossbow might be farther out then a regular bow, the killing distance and KE out farther is a lot less then a regular bow due to the lack of arrow weight. I can't see any advantage to crossbows. There speed is not any faster then a regular bow, their killing power is the same or a little less, they are louder then heck, i could go on and on. [}:)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Medical condition, go for it.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    I have no problem with crossbows. Ga has just allowed them for use, outside of handicaped, this year. I know a guy who took a pretty nasty spill out of a stand a few years ago and can no longer pull a compound so he now uses a crossbow. It is similar in that you have to get within a closer range than you do with a rifle and I think if that is what it takes to get people out in the woods then so be it. If you dont like them then dont use one, but they are still bows by definition. People 100 years ago would not have considered what we are shooting now as bows either. I have no problem with them being used during archery season.

its all about pucks and bucks
    batman_logo_30_2.jpg
    edited November -1
    i will add this in addition to my first post:

if, for any medical reason, a person cannot use a regular bow, then i am 100% in favor of them using a cross bow. i wasn't refering to those folks.

i was at my local shop the other night just shooting the doodoo, and it was quite crowded with lots of fellas telling stories. it seems like a bunch of gun hunters (no offense to anyone) decided to get cross bows this year because this is the first year they have been legal. well, it also seems that about 50% of them have wounded deer with them because they think they are good to 80 yards, and they aren't. of course, there are no hard facts that back this up, it is just local gossip. but that fact alone makes me not want a crossbow to be legal.

ultimately, it doesn't matter what my opinion is, because the state has said it is legal, and that's all that matters. i am not going to critcize anyone who uses a crossbow, but i will not use one myself.

40 and counting...
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hsracer201

if, for any medical reason, a person cannot use a regular bow, then i am 100% in favor of them using a cross bow. i wasn't refering to those folks.

same here. I think of people like Dave and his need for a crossbow. I wish I could get him in a tree and hunt some how.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

same here. I think of people like Dave and his need for a crossbow. I wish I could get him in a tree and hunt some how.

I agree, BUT LET THE HANDICAPPED USE THEM DURING RIFLE SEASON, NOT BOW SEASON.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    quote:I agree, BUT LET THE HANDICAPPED USE THEM DURING RIFLE SEASON, NOT BOW SEASON.

why not use rifles during rifle season?

40 and counting...
    edited November -1
    quote:I agree, BUT LET THE HANDICAPPED USE THEM DURING RIFLE SEASON, NOT BOW SEASON.

why not use rifles during rifle season?

40 and counting...

Why? It is a BOW not a RIFLE. I agree with racer they can use rifles during rifle season and bow during bow season......

batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    "the other advantage a crossbow has is a longer shot accuracy"
    Not so. That is part of the problem with crossbow use. People get the impression that it is more accurate than a standard bow. It also takes more draw weight to give comperable performance to a standard bow. Second, there is also the impression that one can just pick one up and go. You still have the same balistics problem as with a regular bow, arrow drop.You still need to practice.Third is convenience. Bulk makes them less desireable for anything but stand hunting and even has some limitations in that application. They are probably not the easiest thing to cock in a small stand 20 ft in the air. Another is single shot capability. I am sure that if needed the average shooter could accurately shoot 3-5 arows from a standard bow before a second could be made with a crossbow.
    edited November -1
    quote:Second, there is also the impression that one can just pick one up and go. You still have the same balistics problem as with a regular bow, arrow drop.You still need to practice.

I hate to admit this but I have a friend that uses crossbow due to medical condition and has for YEARS, he has that impression, pick up and go. He missed a BIG BUCK last year and instead of practice he put a new string on and said that should fix it. I've tryed to tell him he has to practice and maybe I'm bad for doing so but I have givin up. He will never do it.

quote:They are probably not the easiest thing to cock in a small stand 20 ft in the air.

Cocked and locked then climb up. Thats how he does it. I realize they have a safety like a gun but things can happen.

But again my thoughts on the topic would be if you can still pull a bow why would you want to use a crossbow? Nothin against them just curious.

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    But again my thoughts on the topic would be if you can still pull a bow why would you want to use a crossbow? Nothin against them just curious.

there is only 1 advntage i can think of and its the one i mentioned before. when the moment of truth arives, you do not have to draw back. as bowhunters we realize this is the hardest part of the hunt is successfully getting our bows drawn without being seen. that's why i would use a crossbow, if i were inclinded to do so.

40 and counting...
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But in your state if you're offered a crossbow then why not use it? I mean if it's there take it right? I started hunting at 10, I used a crossbow...I now use a bow for a harder attempt. I killed my first archery deer with a crossbow. I tip my hat to real bow hunters but I see no harm in using a crossbow, it's your choice.

Also, a crossbow doesn't have the ability to fly straighter at longer distances than a bow does. Longer the arrow the longer it will fly straighter. And 2, most 70 lb. draw bows can shoot 40 yards if you are comfortable....I wouldn't dream of shooting 30 with my crossbow(150 lb draw). It doesn't quite have the penetrating ability at 30-40 yards! So they both have their pros and cons!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    I killed my first archery deer with a crossbow.

A deer killed with a crossbow, does not qualify as an "archery" deer.

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    Sorry for the confusion, archery SEASON deer [:)]
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Then what is it called[?] It was shot with an arrow..hummm

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill

Actually, it was shot with a "bolt".

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    quote:It doesn't quite have the penetrating ability at 30-40 yards!

I call anim_bs2.gif My friend that shoots crossbow has alway blown threw. He has never had an arrow stick in a deer. Complete pass threw everytime. He will and does shoot 40yrd.

Sorry about the bs thing I really just wanted to use the image. I don't think I Have used it yet.[:D] He really does get pass threw everytime.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    I killed my first archery deer with a crossbow.

A deer killed with a crossbow, does not qualify as an "archery" deer.

-Jimmy the cheese man

Agun.... if you feel it was an archery deer then it was one. It was killed with a bow.

batman_logo_30_2.jpg

tanz_tubbies3.gif
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. I think this off season I will go look at a few crossbows and see what is out there. I have never bow hunted, just never "wanted" to, if that makes sense. It has always been legal in TN to use a crossbow during the gun season. You could get a medical exemption to use a crossbow if you needed it during archery season. Where I hunt in TN is classified as an "L" zone, meaing unlimited bag limits on does. That is the reason behind the TWRA changing the rules, to get more hunters in the woods to try to take the population down some. And it does need taking down! [:D]
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To each his own, but a crossbow is more primitive then the modern compound bows being used. They have been around a lot longer too.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)
    edited November -1
    Bang, then his draw is more than 150 lb. and if it's not then I'd like to call b.s. [:D][:p]
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lady I work woth shoots a crossbow it's only 150lbs and she blows threw them all the time out to 30-40 yards

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
    edited November -1
    I don't know though, I wouldn't take a shot that far...I would feel risky about the penetration...that's the way I was brought up with mine and I even have shot at 40 yards it doesn't even come close to the same ability but with a good broadside shot and no wind if he were a monster I would probobly try it.
    edited November -1
    I like how New York deals with disabled hunters and crossbows. In New York, only those hunters who have no use of either arm, are allowed to use one. And the release has to be "breath propelled". You have to rig it so that a breath tube is used to release the bolt.

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill

Actually, it was shot with a "bolt".

-Jimmy the cheese man

bolt 1 (blt)
    n.
    1. A bar made of wood or metal that slides into a socket and is used to fasten doors and gates.
    2. A metal bar or rod in the mechanism of a lock that is thrown or withdrawn by turning the key.
    3. A fastener consisting of a threaded pin or rod with a head at one end, designed to be inserted through holes in assembled parts and secured by a mated nut that is tightened by applying torque.
    a. A sliding metal bar that positions the cartridge in breechloading rifles, closes the breech, and ejects the spent cartridge.
    b. A similar device in any breech mechanism.
    5. A short, heavy arrow with a thick head, used especially with a crossbow.
    6. A flash of lightning; a thunderbolt.
    7. A sudden or unexpected event: The announcement was a veritable bolt.
    8. A sudden movement toward or away.
    9. A large roll of cloth of a definite length, especially as it comes from the loom.

I figured that I would just clear this up for you. Since you dont think it qualifies as archery. The crossbow has limbs and shoots arrows.... so then what do you call it?

batman_logo_30_2.jpg

tanz_tubbies3.gif
    Lt. Col. Winky Girl
    clip_image001.jpg
    edited November -1
    It also has a trigger, safety and a stock,Now what do YOU call it.
    stir,stir.

edited November -1
    Triggers and safetys used on alot of compound releases too hun.

arch?er?y (?r'ch#601;-r?)
    n.
    The art, sport, or skill of shooting with a bow and arrow.
    The equipment of an archer.
    A group of archers.

bow3 (b?)
    n.
    A bent, curved, or arched object.
    A weapon consisting of a curved, flexible strip of material, especially wood, strung taut from end to end and used to launch arrows.

batman_logo_30_2.jpg

tanz_tubbies3.gif
    Lt. Col. Winky Girl
    clip_image001.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    I figured that I would just clear this up for you. Since you dont think it qualifies as archery. The crossbow has limbs and shoots arrows.... so then what do you call it?

You havent "cleared" anything up that I do not already know-but Im glad you went about educating yourself. I know what a bolt is, and I still do not think crossbow qualifies as archery.
    Furthermore, you are welcome to call bolts "arrows" if it makes you feel good, but what a crossbow shooter shoots is known as bolts, not arrows.
    And what do I call it? I call it a crossbow.

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1

You havent "cleared" anything up that I do not already know-but Im glad you went about educating yourself. I know what a bolt is, and I still do not think crossbow qualifies as archery.
    Furthermore, you are welcome to call bolts "arrows" if it makes you feel good, but what a crossbow shooter shoots is known as bolts, not arrows.
    And what do I call it? I call it a crossbow.

-Jimmy the cheese man

Salzo.. read... by definition a bolt is a short arrow. So now you intend to define archery and arrows and bows yourself? I didnt realize that you had the power to change what definitions.

batman_logo_30_2.jpg

tanz_tubbies3.gif
    Lt. Col. Winky Girl
    clip_image001.jpg
    edited November -1
    Salzo.. read... by definition a bolt is a short arrow. So now you intend to define archery and arrows and bows yourself?

Nope. Just using the words that THE REST OF THE FREAKING PLANET USES.
    Does cabelas sell "crossbow arrows"?-Nope, they sell bolts.
    How bout Basspro? They sell bolts also, AS DOES EVERY OTHER PLACE THAT SELLS CROSSBOW SUPPLIES!!, AS DOES EVERY FREAKING CROSSBOW MANUFACTURER!!! AS DOES EVERY PERSON WHO DOES NOT HAVE AN AGENDA TO DEFINE CROSSBOW HUNTING AS BOW HUNTING, OR ARCHERY HUNTING!!!!!!!!

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    alright now, lets not argue about it. no one is going to be able to change anyone elses mind, so what's the point?

there is no point.

40 and counting...
    edited November -1
    I haven't seen a release with a safety. Never heard of a release called a trigger. Just me though. I do tend to go with salzo on this.

racer the point is on the top of your head.[:D] Just playin don't get all mad.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    About making disabled use a x-bow during gun season, thats a load of crap. Why not make the healthy folks use a slingshot during gunseason.

So your position is that if someone is unable to do something due to physical limitations, then NO ONE should be allowed to do it??

-Jimmy the cheese man