In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

just a girl

gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
Hey guys I am new to the bow hunting side of things. I have considered the Barnett Revolution crossbow, I know shudders and shivers from the real hunters who dont use crossbows. Well guys as I am 5'8 and 120 soaking wet, it is not like I have big arms so the crossbow is appealing to me. However if I am thinking wrong, which is very possible, please advise. I am thinking that it would be easier to start with a crossbow. Am I on the right tract?

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I know nothing about crossbow hunting, but I can tell you that you are probably much stronger than I was when I started bow hunting. You should, with fairly minimal training, be able to shoot a 40-50lb bow comfortably. You just have to practice and build your back and shoulder muscles up a little(unless you already have some hoss pipes hidden in that 120lb body). Also, with a compound bow, you are only holding 40-20% of the total draw weight when you are at full draw. For example, if you are shooting a 50lb draw weight with 80% let-off, you are only holding 10lb at full draw. Make Sense[?]

I think that if you want to hunt with a bow, you should do it right. It will not be as easy to become proficient as using a cross bow probably is, but you will be able to sneer at all the boys that use 'scoped guns' to hunt deer with. What a bunch of wusses. It is not speed or power that will harvest deer, it is knowing the limits of your bow and your abilities, and most importantly, shot placement.

I hope that answers your question.[:D]

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Ben, maybe you are right however I am now at a complete loss as to where I should start. I know a little about crossbows and NOTHING about any other type of bow. I am not a weak girl ( did tone and fitness comps for several years) but I guess I have been spoiled by the simplicity of being one of the "scoped gun" hunters you mentioned. I have become just plain bored with it though and am looking for something a bit more challenging. Now, if I follow your advice ( however being a woman I know I will still get the barnett but I can always do both right?) then what? What am I looking for in a bow? I have found with crossbows that more money does not mean better bow is that true here also? I guess its time to play the dumb blond card..... Help!!!!!!![8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    What am I looking for in a bow?

We've been across this topic many times. I always try to answer it and then buckeyboy chimes in that "before you get too overwhelmed you should go down to the bow shop and have them help you." I hate to admit it, but he is right.[}:)] Go to a couple of bow shops. Look at different brands. Then, pick out one that fits you and your budget. It'll make for an enjoyable weekend.[8D]

Ben

I root for the logo_chc_79x76.jpg and anyone who is playing the Cardinals.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sure Ben I love Bass Pro Shop and our local sports shops. I would rather go to BPS then enter into any shoe store in the mall, however here is my dilemma. Picture this....sports store full of men.. who work there.. men..... who shop there.. men... well enter the woman... 5'8 120 true island girl... yeah I grew up on one... well 1 of 2 things happens... 1. if I happen to take hubby along... the guy behind the counter talks to me about a bow and ignores hubby standing there... and I get in trouble for the guy looking at me while he talks to me... 2.if I go alone.. and do the flirting thing... yes I know very well this gets me cheaper prices and I am smart enough to use it, however I will never take off my wedding ring, hubby gets pissed cause I get a better deal.
    So what I have found to work for me is to get some semblance of a list of recommendations research from there and then walk in take it for a test drive and not have to listen to the BS from the sales man or my hubby. Been thru this already... I am now not "allowed" by my hubby to go back to my gym... so alas.. I am back to square one... needing help with some things about a bow that I should look for.

Darlin I know it is easy to say go take it for a test drive... but sometimes.. it just dont work that way....

Nadine
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fishermanben is correct. I'm TOTALLY new to this archery thing. I made the mistake of going to a general sporting goods store where the people who set up my bow know very little about archery.

Fortunately, the guy that runs one of the archery pro-shops in town is a Viet Nam vet and he's taken a liking to me. He makes any adjustments or suggestions for free. He lets me shoot on the indoor ranges (including hte 40-yard indoor basement range) absolutely for free. Sometimes he tosses me something for free to try out. I got some sweet field points for free last time.

Do yourself a favor. Spend a couple extra dollars and buy from an archery pro-shop--not a sporting goods department store. You will get a bow that is right for you and will be set up correctly the first time. Plus, you'll make a lot of good friends if you keep going back--friends that have a passion and a knowledge of archery and can teach you a great deal. Fishermanben isn't that bad when it comes to advice either [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Spend a couple extra dollars and buy from an archery pro-shop--not a sporting goods department store. You will get a bow that is right for you and will be set up correctly the first time. Plus, you'll make a lot of good friends if you keep going back--friends that have a passion and a knowledge of archery and can teach you a great deal. Fishermanben isn't that bad when it comes to advice either [:D]
    [/quote]

Darlin I would love to... but I am in South East Ga. There are no archery shops around me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll let you know if I make it to Fort Steward or Fort Benning next summer. I'll just be full of advice (or you-know-what) by then [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    I'll let you know if I make it to Fort Steward or Fort Benning next summer. I'll just be full of advice (or you-know-what) by then [:D]

well a bit off topic... but thanks... not for the advice... but for putting your life on the line to serve this wonderful country and protect me and my family... Thank you with all my heart THANK YOU
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gagirl--Most people here know I'm full of you-know-what. People start getting their waders and shovels out when I open my mouth because I'm full of it at times (ok....often). Take my advice with a grain of salt. It's strictly anecdotal. Experts like fishermanben have advice that is far more trustworthy. I'm a mere novice with this archery thing.

Do you have anyone in the family that is into archery or are you the lone archery ranger down there in GA? Husband, father, sister?

I used to be friends with a young lady from Columbus who had some awesome archers in the family. I'd hook up with them if I get sent to Benning but she went a little psycho over the last few years so that option is out the window. It just disappoints me that there aren't any pro-shops in GA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a PSE right now. I'm saving up for my FAVORITE bow which is a Bowtech. Here's a link to Bowtech dealers. If the word "Archery" is in their name then they're probably a pro-shop. The others are just a crap shoot IMHO and in my experience.

http://www.bowtecharchery.com/dealers/states/GA.html

Check out Hoyt dealers to see which ones are Pro-Shops too:

http://www.hoytusa.com/cgi-bin/hoytzip2.cgi?x=297&y=173
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    bowtech, Archery Research (AR), Mathews....and Preschool Shooting Equipment(PSE) [:D]... all make good bows. OK I really just jumped in to make my PSE comment but it was a joke y'all[:D][B)][:0]. There are a lot of good bows. I have to agree with the rest, go to a shop and find one that fits you and the budget. Again a real archery shop. Good luck! [;)] Let us know the outcome.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bang--I have thick skin. People used to make fun of my Toyota. Now they just make fun of my Honda. Yeah, I drive a Civic. I've also gotten a deer into the trunk of it too. It's my hunting car......2003 Honda Civic EX Sedan. [:D] I'm going to show up to bowhunt and my friend's friends are going to laugh at me getting out of a Civic with a PSE and Wal Mart hunting clothes. I can't wait. Getting ribbed over your toy is fun because it gives you license to give *#$@ right back. I'm going to have to research your posts to find some dirt. I'll get back to ya ! [:D]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    "Buckeyboy chimes in" [B)][B)][B)]Thanks a lot Ben,
    I'll keep it short and sweet, I live in the North East " Rhode Island" I don't think there is a pro shop that won't let you test shoot a bow if there is even a remote chance you will be making a purchace, I agree with Ben "OHHH that hurt"[;)] there are pleanty of bows set at 50#s that are so easy to pull 80% let off think you will be very suprised.
    Ok my advise at least give it a try if you find it is too difficult or you don't want to take the the time to develop the proper muscles. Then buy a crossbow but remember this. You will not be nearly as satisfied if you harvest a deer with a crossbow than if you get one with a recurve or a compound. there is a whole new skill level needed which when perfected is very gratifing. If all else fails buy the crossbow and enjoy yourself thets what its reall all about. Oh well so much for keeping it short and sweet. Thanks again Bennyboy[}:)]
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    What's going on here? If this young lady wants to start out trying a crossbow I say she should try it. I actually considered buying a Horton crossbow last week. Not exactly sure why but if I drop anything over 130 class I could care less what bow i use. Plus deer meat taste the same no matter what you shoot it with.
    Overall a crossbow is going to be easier to start out with and will make a hunter enjoy themselves more eventually leading to that hunter furthering their passion for hunting which may be moving to a compound bow or making their own bow.
    Bet I'll stir up a big can of the brown stuff with these comments, but so be it.
    Thought's by Jay for today. [;)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am the lone archer. Hubby knows nothing about bows and he honestly is a waterfowl guy; Father... well the man is about the biggest white collar snob you could find he hates the fact his daughter drives a truck daily; brothers.. the only thing they hunt is a lost golf ball [xx(]. I know not a soul that bow hunts in my area. I would have to drive about 3-4 hours to get to the nearest "pro-shop" from what I have found so far. I have taken from reading the various posts that alot of you guys favor this "outback" bow. Mathews and PSE seem to come up quite often. I tend to lean to spending my time researching what appear to be the top few items on the market. Bowtech is a sticker on a few trucks around here but I have not really seen too many of you guys sing their praises. As for whoever said for me to go ahed and get a crossbow... I am.... but I ALSO want to get a compound...as for building one... now that is really right up my alley but that will come with time. I get the idea that I am going to enjoy the challenge of bow hunting. If any of you guys are around Ga please let me know, maybe I am close enough and can beg, plead and grovel at your feet for help. That or we can trade info....or maybe a trip... pretty darn good fishin around me.... have boat and know where the redfish are.

Nadine
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gagirl,
    I am a huge Mathews fan as I have shot them for a long time now, IMHO there is none better, and not that you would ever need it but there customer service is second to none. With your size I would recomend a Mathews mustang over the Outback to start. This bow is designed more for Women and smaller framed people, it still has a lot of the features that I love about the Outback. It is small with an axle to axle length of only 31 3/4" it has a roller cable guide, string dampeners, and the harmonic dampening system in the riser. But at any rate you need to find a pro shop, I would do some research prior to going so you have an idea of what you would like to look at, and then take suggestions from the shop help. Most if not all ranges will let you shoot the bow if you intend to buy. Well good luck with your endeavour.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Suspension is gay[:0][:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bow or crossbow? You first have to ask yourself for what purpose.
    If the sole purpose is to harvest some deer, get a crossbow.
    But if you are looking for a hobby to dedicate a lot of time to, and get a lot of personal enjoyment/challenge, then get a bow.
    I shoot both. I bought a crossbow for ONE reason-to shoot deer and turkey in my backyard. My backyard, for many reasons, is better suited for the crossbow.
    Is the crossbow easier to master enough to harvest a deer? I dont care what any crossbow enthusiast says, it is easier. But one has to know that as far as distance is concerned, the crossbow is as limited, if not more so, as the bow. I have shot the crossbow quite nicely out to 50 yards, I know a few people who shoot farther-but am I going to shoot at a deer fifty yards away?? Hell no. That deer will no doubt jump the string. I have shot a few ground hogs in my back yard, 25 yards away, while a deer was standing forty yards away. The way they jump when they hear that string go, no way would I feel confident beyond 25 yards. I think I read on the excalibut web site that a der hears the string, when the bolt has traveled 30% the distance to the target. At twenty five yards or less, by the time the deer reacts to the sound, the bolt will be planted. Beyond that, well, I wouldnt chance it, especially considering how I have seen them react at farther distances.
    You want something thats going to drop deer out to 25 yards, with the minimum amount of dedication of time? Crossbow.
    You want something that will keep you dedicated to something that you really enjoy doing, whether there is a deer at the end of your sight, a 3d target, an apple, a woodchuck, turkey, etc-go with a bow.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are the state regulations for GA concerning the use of a crossbow for hunting here in MI they can only be used if you have a dissability and get the paperwork filed and signed by a doctor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

Suspension is gay[:0][:0]

Buckey did you get my email?

You crackhead stop the name calling before I tell excalibur.
    So if I go out and buy that crossbow tonight your gonna consider me to be gay?
    My wife says I'm rather subborn so I might buy it for this simple fact. Then e-mail you pictures of this years buck and the crossbow....
    gogolen, your egging him on by agreeing [}:)][:D][:D]
    Hey, gagirl...gogolen has a good point, you better check all your laws before purchasing.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well 1 of 2 things happens... 1. if I happen to take hubby along... the guy behind the counter talks to me about a bow and ignores hubby standing there... and I get in trouble for the guy looking at me while he talks to me... 2.if I go alone.. and do the flirting thing... yes I know very well this gets me cheaper prices and I am smart enough to use it, however I will never take off my wedding ring, hubby gets pissed cause I get a better deal.

Welcome to the forum, GAgirl.I know just what you mean, i have same problem when the wife make me tag along shopping with her. The sales girls stare at me and my wife gets mad..... Just the other day, a salesgirl couldn't keep her eyes off my bulge. I thought it was kind of rude, so i stared right back. Wife, she thinks i'm ogling Ms Buxum Blondie. I reckon because that big wad makes my eyeballs seem to pop right out there. The wife was fuming but she know better than slap my face when i got a wad of Beechnut in my jowl.

GIJoe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have never seen a topic go to 20 replies so fast. I'm sure it has nothing to do with gagirl being a woman. All you guys are just so interested in crossbows. Yea I got hooked too. Hey SUS you just confirmed my suspisions. NA NA NA na na I'm gonna tell excaliber on you. booo hooo hooooo. [:D][:D][:D][:D] Just teasing ya man. your Just a happy dude?[:X][:X][:X]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We normally don't have new topics, just old ones asked in a different way over and over again..[:)]

Stihl's reply about his bulge threw me for a loop when I first read it though. Had to read it twice to make sure the post wasn't gonna get poofed. [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Wow!!! There is so much here to reply to. First of all,

quote:...did tone and fitness comps for several years..."scoped gun" hunter...blond...5'8 120 true island girl...drives a truck daily...have boat and know where the redfish are...I would rather go to BPS then enter into any shoe store in the mall...hubby
    [:0]D'OH!!! It's a good thing I finished reading the posts before heading out to find a ring. If you tell me that you have a twin sister that has a thing for hot young insurance salesmen, I'm in Georgia by sunset![8D]

quote:Originally Posted by Idsman
    Most people here know I'm full of you-know-what...Experts like fishermanben have advice that is far more trustworthy.
    You hear that Buckey[?] I'm an expert!!! Hahaha!!! Obviously Ids has a strong contender for most Full Of Sh**![;)]

quote:Originally posted by Suspension So if I go out and buy that crossbow tonight your gonna consider me to be gay?
    [:0]Don't ask--Don't tell!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ben, Ya did it again ya got me rolling on the floor laughing?[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, not sure but I stumbled onto several new posts when I went to print this. For some reason it shows 15 posts in some areas and over 20 in others. Who knows, well yes I am female and I enjoy hunting. I think the crossbow would harvest more deer in the beginning due to the fact that I have been hunting for about 15 yrs or so. The compound bow would give me something to head toward. I see it as a gradual increase in difficulty from scoped gun to crossbow to compound. It seems that a few have taken it as a joke about how I get treated going into a sports store, but walk in my shoes... or simply with me for one day and you would understand. I truely appreciate the advise that I have recieved thus far on this forum. You all seem like a bunch of regular guys who, for the most part, dont seem to have a problem with a woman jumping in here.

Thanks
    Nadine
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In all seriousness welcome to the forum Nadine, feel free to hop in on any topic. All the guys are great. We bust each others chops. there is always advise and expierence available. Just stay away from the guy named SUSPENSION he sells drugs to deer. Just ask anyone on the forum[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Buckey, you know some people haven't been involved with all our discussions so they may get the wrong impression of me from your comments. Settle down before I tell your wife about you shooting the table.[;)]

gagirl, welcome to the forum, hope you join in and have fun like everyone else does. I understand your comment but don't forsee any problems like that on here, least I would hope not. You'll love the sport the more you know about it and the only way to learn is from experience or others. Good luck [:)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hey I can take ribbing.. I grew up as the baby with 4 older brothers. I am married to a man who is 16 yrs older than me and I drive a f250 4x4 diesel... you think I am not used to being ribbed? come on guys... didnt mean it that way.. can rib me all you want... hey I might even like it[;)]

Nadine
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:0] Ford [xx(][^] [;)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Suspension

Yeah darlin a Ford.. cause only little boys have bowties [:p] [:X]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    **ers
    Only
    Run
    Downhill
    [:D]
    Ben

I root for the logo_chc_79x76.jpg and anyone who is playing the Cardinals.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only thing I have to say about that is it could be a lot worse you could own a Dodge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No Hon... I would never own a Dodge.....

Anyway.. I have spent the day reading... and reading and reading some more...have not made any money.. but there is always tomorrow. Anyway, I cant seem to find ANYTHING bad about Mathews. I cant find anything bad about Bowtech... but also cant seem to find too many people saying they are great bows either... So... at this point... I am concentrateing on the Mathews.... now for the next step...before I get sold on something I dont need... or forget something I do need... any suggestions guys?

Nadine
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you are looking at the Mathews line, I would look at the Mustang as it is geared more around women i.e. shorter draw length and lighter poundages. For arrows I would suggest carbons due to there enormous gain in popularity over the past several years there price has come down to that of good aluminums. If you plan on doing a lot of target practice I would also suggest you have your arrows fletched with feathers for several reasons including being more forging and longevity of life (vane gets torn you throw it away, feather gets ruffled still shoots great). For a sight everyones taste differs, but I would reccomend that you start off with a pin sight and a peep on your string. You don't have to but I do use a kisser button helps in making your anchor consistent. As far as a rest goes I would go with something pretty simple and inexpensive (NO WHISKER BISCUIT) something along the lines of a TM hunter or a bodoodle. As far as a stabilizer goes anyone will do heck I know people who shoot without them. If you decide to go with a release which is probably a good idea unless you want to train yourself how to anchor properly over again, stick with a wrist release, unless you are going into competition then you might want a back tention release oh nevermind. So your setup should include the following
    1. bow
    2. arrows (cut to length w/ field tips)
    3 sight (
    4. kisser button/ peep sight
    5. rest
    6. release (recomended but optional)
    7. target if you want to shoot at home.
    Those are pretty much you main items everything else is optional
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Easy on the Dodge owners y'all!

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhhh...the little lady has good taste in trucks. Welcome Nadine. So, what are "they" getting for a gallon of diesel down your way??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well the beast drinks the stuff at 2.04 a gallon right now. However I have chipped it and upgraded the exhaust added a 4 inch lift and procomp 315/75s and I am getting about 22-23 MPG so it aint all bad.

Ummm I had someone help me with the measurements... after a call to an old buddy in Al. who tried to teach me to shoot a bow 15-20 yrs ago. Well looks like I am a 28 draw length... so the mustang is out since it only goes up to a 26. I am now down to the LX or the Outback. The LX shows as being a bit faster in the specs.. but alas... I better find a few to shoot... looks like a road trip for me this weekend. Knowing me... I will have a new baby by the end of the weekend... however I guess I will have to give in and let the hubby get the new Over and Under he wants for duck season. Sound fair guys?

Nadine
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Suspension

Yeah darlin a Ford.. cause only little boys have bowties [:p] [:X]

This little boy has never had a bow tie that let him down, can't say the same about fords though. I have to admit they are a far step better than a dodge. [:D]
    Sure got your garage talk down [:)], you running 33" or 35" tires on that "beast". I didn't know diesels got that good of mileage, especially since you have all the work done to yours.

My draw length is 28.5", since it sounds like you took your own measurement you might want to verify that draw length before making a purchase. Good luck on your search.

ps: one more question, how come your hubby shoots duck with a O/U? Go buy him a super black eagle or something.