In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best 1860 colt army replica

2»

Comments

• Options
    8986pam8986pam Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    years ago I was into BP and I had an 1860 colt clone and a third model dragoon. I used 50 gr.s of BP in the Dragoon and about 35-40 grs in the 1860. that dragoon wasn't accurate and neither was the 1860. but the recoil wasn't that bad! the Dragoon weights about 4+ lbs and yes, there was a lot of smoke and flash, but the recooil wasn't as bad as a Smith and wesson I had in .45 LC. the 1860 wasn't accurate either.
    today, I have a 1860 uberti in .44 special and it's accurate. I also have most of the cowboy guns(pistols) in most of the calibers. I have yet to find a Ruger that shoots to point of aim yet!(out of 7 pistols) but all my ubertis's shoot to point of aim. I found a beretta stampede with a blowned up barrel.(it was in .45 LC) I changed out the barrel and cylinder to .44-40 and it still shoots to point of aim. I tried SA colts 30 years ago, and was very unhappy with them. but I"m very happy with my SA ubertis, I have the 73's in .45, 44-40, 38-40, and 32-20. all are nice accurate shooters. the 1860 in .44 special is breaking in to have a nice trigger. I like the uberti's and my collection of "N" frame smiths, and I even have an"N" frame in .44-40
    Pat

b
  • Options
    Fokker TriplaneFokker Triplane Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To read the writtings of both of the gentlemen ( Mr. Steg and Mr. Oden} you both are knowlege able; but heck stand down. I go by the name of Fokker Triplane because I built one and flew it for many years. i'm not Mr. Steg writting under the Triplane name. I also am a BP shooter for many years. I own a host of famous BP rifles, handguns and a set of very fine duelling pistrols. With this Parkinson(s) my butt is getting kicked. But each day it's a little harder. Now with that said and (who really cares) I still like to fire my Ubertis"s over the newly purchased Colts Army and 2nd & 3nd. Dragoons. They are all very fine handguns: all made well very accurate . To me the Colts are collector items where as the Ubertis's are shooters. Extremly good (great) shooters. My loads are for all my .44cal handguns are: 25grs. BP felt pad (wad) topped with .454 rd ball: either self cast or Hornaday. Over the ball will be the grease of the day ie: cisco, bore butter or even wheel bearing grease. This is to stop chain-firing. I always place my cup over the nipple last. Even with Parkinson(s) these handguns are deadly at 25yds. To end now, one can and does learn from sites like this. Even from Steg and Oden; every one brings something to the table of knowlege. Take care everybody Mike aka Fokker Triplane.[8D][:)]