In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who makes the best bp revolver repro?

muzzleloader-2muzzleloader-2 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
I am curious to know if anyone has an opinion on who makes the best black powder revolver replica.

Comments

• Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cartridge or percussion either one, Uberti would be at the top of the list or close to it. Out of my league, money-wise, but from all I've read and the few I've actually seen their stuff is about as good as it gets.
  • Options
    sockssocks Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uberti. Hands down.
  • Options
    ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO the 2nd Generation Colt Black Powder revolvers are the best ones made, followed closely by the Uberti, then Pietta, then Euorarms, Palmetto, and finally ASM. Somewhere in the mix would be the Centaures (Belgian made). Probably on par with the Ubertis and Piettas.

Of course, some of these aren't made any more which leaves only the Ubertis, Piettas and Euroarms. Quality of the Ubertis and Piettas are pretty close. I'm not a fan of the Pietta grip shape on the 51/61 Navies though.

Really kinda depends on what characteristics you're looking for. Pietta makes some models that Uberti doesn't, and are pretty darn good.

There, have I obfuscated enough for you? [:D][:D]

For a standard historically accurate model, I'd go with the Uberti over the Pietta.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uberti's are usually always good, but you can get a lemon from any of the manufacturers. You can also get unusually good ones too, so if you aren't happy with your purchase, return it for another one and you might get lucky.
    It also depends on what revolver model you are looking for. For 1858 Remington replicas you can't beat Euroarms for an accurate duplication. They are more dimensionally correct, the Piettas are oversize to the extreme and Uberti just a little big in some areas.
    For Colt style revolvers, Uberti's are the champs, but some Piettas are fine or better than others. Piettas that are made for EMF Hartford tend to be better quality and finish, nicer wood, etc. Overall, Pietta quality has improved in the last 2 years. Uberti makes a slightly more accurate representation, if you are able to tell the difference.
    If you can see several of the same model, in a store, where you can pick the best one, that's the way to go. As I said, you can get a dog from anyone.
    If you watch gunbroker carefully, you can find ASM replicas, which aren't made anymore. Some of them were well made, accurate replicas, but some are really crappy too, which is why they went out of business. Older ASM's, made prior to 2000, were pretty good and can still be found new or close to it.
    Rule of thumb, make sure you can return whatever you purchase. If you can disassemble the pistol and smooth the rough edges yourself, all the better. They are great to learn some simple gunsmithing on.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can get to a Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas you will find a big display of cap and ball pistols. Plus they have all the accessories, caps, balls, powder, even a lot of holsters, those leather holsters are beautiful.
    I bought my 1860 Colt Army at Bass Pro. The one in the display case wasn't locking up quite right, although it was a beautiful pistol. I asked to try another, he pulled one in the box from behind the counter and it locked up fine, so I bought it.
    It is under the Traditions label but is made by Pietta.
    With Bass Pro or Cabelas you will be able to return it with no problems.
  • Options
    dunntawkindunntawkin Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd have to agree with most of the postings so far...Uberti definately has my nod with piettas a close second...If you can find navy arms ubertis they are even better...good luck buckaroo
  • Options
    rogertc1rogertc1 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best and strongest BP ever made would be the Ruger Old Army. Too bad they are now discontinued.
  • Options
    WestleyRichardsWestleyRichards Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Uberti Colt Walker that doesn't engage in the fully cocked position sometimes. The hammer then can fall forward. The case hardening on the frame is nonexistant but ok on the loading ram etc. Just wondered if anyone found similar quality problems with Uberti. I also ask if any one has used a cap other than size 11. These size 11 that I use are too small and just barely hang on to the nipple.
    Westley
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by WestleyRichards
    I bought a Uberti Colt Walker that doesn't engage in the fully cocked position sometimes. The hammer then can fall forward. The case hardening on the frame is nonexistant but ok on the loading ram etc. Just wondered if anyone found similar quality problems with Uberti. I also ask if any one has used a cap other than size 11. These size 11 that I use are too small and just barely hang on to the nipple.
    Westley
    [/quote

Talk to these guys. I bet they have a part that you can fix your Uberti with, and you can do the repair yourself in 20 minutes.

http://www.vtigunparts.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for all the input guys, you all have been very helpful
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You have had some bad luck with the Ubertis. I only have one but it has been fine since day one.
    On the little .31, I wonder if the pin that holds the barrel on was too tight. That could cause the cylinder not to turn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought the same gun a couple years back from Cabela's and had
    a similar experience: The action seemed very sluggish on cocking-
    sort of grudgingly completed full cock. I returned it and they
    very promptly sent my replacement. Same EXACT action on the new
    one. So I figured, must be how they all are, and kept it. To tell
    the truth, I love the beautiful little thing and it did fine at
    the range, but everything's so small on it that it's not so much
    fun to load and shoot! So, it just stays safe in it's case.
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHAT ABOUT F. LLIPIETTA? I THINK I SPELLED THAT RIGHT.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    F. LLIPIETTA = Pietta
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ====
    beffa, I'd bet money that Dixie Gun Works sold you a factory second or something like that. The fact that it was in a Taylor's box and it was all scratched up points to that. Or, the gun could have been part of a lot of faulty guns that Dixie purchased from Taylors, rather than Uberti. Something stinks about this because Taylor's is one of the two best distributors of Uberti guns. Uberti guns are well-made reliable guns.

In the future, purchase either from Taylor's or Cimarron.

Also Pietta black powder guns are very, very good, too. You have had a bad run of it for some reason. Buy right and it will be right. I think Cabellas sells Pietta and maybe Bass Pro does too. I think that you can get Uberti or Pietta from MidwayUSA as well.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ===
    Beffa,
    Sorry for the late response.

Beretta owns a lot of firearms manufacutrers and distributers including Benelli and Uberti.
  • Options
    breakerdanbreakerdan Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had half a dozen Uberti guns. Quality is great.
    I had bad luck with Armi San Marco.
    If I wanted a cap and ball I would go Uberti.
    Colt second gens are Italian by the way, they finally
    owned up!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by breakerdan
    owned up!
    If 2nd generation colts were in fact made in italy does anybody know who the manufacturer was?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    2nd Gen Colt BP revolvers were made by Colt of parts supplied by Uberti and other manufacturers. C series guns were fit, finished, assembled and shipped from Hartford. F series guns from Iver Johnson's plant in NJ. For more information, see: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/cap_ball/index1.html, or get a copy of Dennis Russels book 'Percussion Colt Revolvers - The Second Generation'
  • Options
    BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beffa
    Forgot to mention, this one is a 1862 Pocket Police Model >

Hi

Too bad you've had such bad luck! Uberti does have a good rep, but that rep doesn't help you much here.

This is a pic of my Pietta, a repro Colt 1862 NY Metropolitan Police .36 caliber model. Similar to the one you just returned

DSCF0020.jpg

The pistol has about 200 rounds through it so far and has been flawless to fire, and it operates as crisply as the day I got it. The only thing that has ever been a problem is when a fired cap jams the action, which is pretty common on these things anway. I've found that a quick little tilt to the right drops the spent cap. Last week I was making a 4" group with this thing at 22 feet which is the highlight of my BP shooting so far!

For some reason Pietta has discontinued making this particular model, as has Uberti. I don't know why. It's a nice weight, fairly well balanced and easy to shoot. For a BP revolver it's easy to load if you take out the cylinder. Pietta's website has been fairly awful every time I've looked, unfortunately. I like my Pietta a lot, maybe you might have better luck with them
  • Options
    BLMSRBLMSR Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive had a Pietta 1851 Navy Brass for about 2 months now, Fire 20-25 shots every weekend, Pretty reliable, most of the time the jamming up was my bad.
  • Options
    rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    save up for 2 uberti's and buy ! 2nd generation colt, can't go wrong.
  • Options
    pkuptruckpkuptruck Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two, consecutive serial number pietta's, and can't say
    too many good things about them!

I also have two brass frame Traditons, and they are a bit
    rougher... but they do clean up nicely and shoot well.

I chopped both of them to 5.75 inches... just to make
    the other guys at range scratch their heads about what
    it is...LOL
  • Options
    Killian19Killian19 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by breakerdan
    owned up!

I have had several Uberti guns, and several Armi San Marco, and I have the reverse opinion. It all depends on the model, when they were made and who the importer was. For long arms Uberti is the best. For C&B pistols the 1860 Army, Centennial Arms Importer, made in Belgium, under Colt License. Made from 1959 thru 1965, Cost $89.95. (1961) Navy Arms for the 1851 Colt Navy, Made from 1959. Uberti could be the Manufacture, doesn't say. but the quality is there, and the cost was $59.95. (1962). A Colt SAA was $125. in 1959. I also have a recent 1851 Navy Arms Uberti and it is not the same quality as the first one.

For cartridge guns I have had 5 Navy Arms of which I believe four were Uberti, and 1 Jager (bad.) The 2 1875 Remington's 1 stamped Replica Arms, the other Navy Arms both in Navy Arms Boxes bought new. (1972-74) The second (Uberti) in 44-40 the cylinder won't rotate when all the cartridges were fired. Went back 3 times until Navy Arms exchanged it for an EMF Uberti and the ejector housing screw stripped out after 20 rounds. That was fixed by EMF 2 tries but now there is a slight space between the web and the frame and the EMF has a blade front sight vs. a post. Uberti SAA finish is not that of ASM, and appears to have a slight problem as the 1875 44-40 only in one chamber with Remington brass The 1866 Carbine the stock finish is weak and has a small knot in it. Functions perfectly, (1973)

Decided to try EMF 4 SAA, Hartford Models, one looks like the Deluxe model, (Armi San Marco 1994-97) Finish Perfect, rivals my Colt 1973 Centennial, all actions perfect except ONE. That when unloading the cylinder doesn't line up with the loading gate. Upon firing a box of Factory Ammo, Front Sight came off. Back to EMF fixed the sight couldn't fix the loading gate problem, gave me a free set of Colt "rubber" Grips. The EMF,1866 Rifle by Uberti Perfect. Also have EMF's 1892 by ASM (1998 or 99) Perfect. Finish is better than then 1892 reintroduction by Winchester.

To sum it up, you can get a good one or a bad one. With the imports it depends on the importer, if they have good quality control or bad, if the importer doesn't complain, the manufacturer ships junk. Navy Arms was real quality to start with and then went down hill, or did Uberti.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are there any 2nd generation or signature series patersons out there??????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There were no 2nd Generation Patersons made; and, not many Texas Patersons and limited edition engraved Patersons made for the Signature Series. I've only seen one pair of the engraved ones come up on the secondary market in the last five or six years (IIRC the asking price was around $6K) and none of the standard Texas models. There are no production figures for the Sig Series guns that I'm aware of; so, the number of each that were made is anyones guess.

To top it all off, Pietta and Uberti have both quit making them also. Your only source would be the secondary/auction market.
  • Options
    sniper762sniper762 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont know about repro, but the ruger old army shoots the best
  • Options
    aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm looking at a "Colt" 1851 Navy, it's a 1971 Robert E. Lee Comemorative which originally came in a fancy box, but has been fired and I'm thinking of buying it as a shooter. It's obviously Italian, would this be made by Uberti. I was looking for a Rem 1858, but this "Colt" came along cheaply and I'm considering buyingit. Any suggestions? thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If the makers name is not present on the gun you may have to rely on prof marks(if there are any)to identify the maker. Here is a link to a page that may be of some help. https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf
  • Options
    aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's rollmarked with the usual Colt markings and the owner told me that it was made by colt; I think that Colt assembled and finished it from Uberti parts...it's very well finished.
  • Options
    rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can find one, get a George Uberti, not an Aldo Uberti. These were made in the late 50's early 60's.I have one ('51 navy) that works flawlessly. You see them for sale periodically on gunbrker, a little bit more money but well worth it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aap2
    It's rollmarked with the usual Colt markings and the owner told me that it was made by colt; I think that Colt assembled and finished it from Uberti parts...it's very well finished.

The R.E.Lee Commemorative is a 2nd Generation Colt Blackpowder made under the blue dome in Hartford by Colt in 1971. Colt purchased castings and unfinished parts from Uberti & other manufacturers, as well as parts made by Colt, that were used to assemble BP revolvers that were fit, finished, marketed, sold and warranted by Colt. For more info on 2nd Gens - Get Dennis Russell's book - Percussion Colt Revolvers - The Second Generation.
  • Options
    CaptainCrossmanCaptainCrossman Member Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best BP cap/ball guns are the "topstrap" Remington pattern design and clones, i.e. Ruger Old Army, and also Uberti made a Peacemaker Colt copy that is BP cap/ball w/topstrap- very strong- you can put a 45 LC cylinder in it and hammer, and shoot 45 LC in it too

the Colt open tops are good, only if they have hardened forged steel frame/cylinder pins/barrels- you don't get to find out until you buy one- as of late, many are "shooting loose"- it appears the older vintage Colt repros are better steel, i.e. Navy Arms, CVA, Uberti- the new ones Uberti is the best

I'm reading lots of bad reviews on the Piettas, for some reason

just say no to brass frame guns, unless they are Remingtons
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't share that opinion.
  • Options
    ColtDoctorColtDoctor Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy Pard,

Italian parts or not. Getcherself a newer Colt. Fit and Finish is important in an arm. Most others seem to be lacking in this dept...

Shoot Straight,

MW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by melkor
    Buy an original or don't waste your $ on junk. If U are going to buy junk at least get the COLT repros. [;)]
    Are you saying that you consider 2nd and 3rd generation colts as junk? I personaly own 2nd and 3rd generation colts along with some pietta and uberti replicas. Aside from a minor problem with a barrell wedge issue on a 2nd generation colt pocket navy all have functioned quite well.What criteria do you use to classify anything other than an original as junk. Not every colt that came out of sam colts factory was perfect either.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by socks
    HERE HERE!!
    I am sorry if my reply to melkors post implied sarcasm. That was not my intent. I would just like to hear his reply in regards to what criteria he used in classifying anything other than an original colt as junk. My apologies if thats how it was taken.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry for the confusion; When I said 'Here here!' I was AGREEING with you! I have many beautiful, dependable Uberti revolvers and
    it bugs me to hear anyone refer to them as 'junk'.
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a Colt, 2nd or 3rd Gen. You wont be sorry.