In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who makes the best bp revolver repro?

2»

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a second Gen Colt 1860 stainless that is beautiful and flawless.I
    also have an 1862 5 1/2 Stainless Uberti that is likewise beautiful.
    I believe this gun is a rare sample gun from the Connecticut showroom.
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have cap and ball revolvers made by Emf, Uberti, Lyman, Pietta, ASM and all work very well. The ASM probably at the bottom as far as fit goes. If you want the Cadillac of C&B revolvers, get a US Firearms gun; very pricey, but finished and fit MUCH better than any of the others.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since when does USFA make cap and ball revolvers. I just looked at their website and none are listed.
  • Options
    muzzleloader-2muzzleloader-2 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    44caliberkid is right.Looks like all centerfire stuff http://www.usfirearms.com/
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    v35, I too have the 1860 Colt 2nd gen stainless, and the 1851 2nd gen stainless...BEAUTIFUL. Supposedly they only made 500 or so of these, but my 1860 is outside of the range listed in the gun books so who knows.
    44caliberkid, my friend had a USFA 1851 Navy that was excellent. He called USFA a few years ago to ask questions about their SAA clones. The owner of the company talked to him and mentioned they used to make 1851's and that a few were still available but not listed. My friend ordered one and he and I were AMAZED at the high quality. Not sure if they have any left, but it may be worth a call.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, you are right. I was skeptical about USFA producing a C&B revolver so I fired off an e-mail to Jim Davis, head of the Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association, to ask if he'd heard of such a thing. He literally wrote the book on repros. Here's his copied and pasted response:
    USFA had planned to produce an extensive line of the percussion revolvers years back but discontinued the idea in favor of the single action cartridge guns. They produced a few 1851 Navy and 1860 Army revolvers. These were Uberti revolvers that were ordered in the white and finished at USFA. They produced a few engraved models as well and also a 3rd Model Dragoon. I have an 1851 Navy NIB and an 1860 Army NIB from their custom shop that was fitted with Stag grips. Beautiful revolvers. A couple of 1851 Navy revolvers sold on Gun Broker a while back for around $850 each.

Jim Davis

Outstanding info, thank you Jim.