In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

While We're on the Subject of Twist Rates

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
My 25-06 also has a 1:14 twist. It was doing well with factory Federal Premium 117 gr Sierra Gameking BTSP. How do you think it would do with a 100 gr bullet? I have some 90 gr hollow point PPU, I may try later today.

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    The 100 gr would probably still do okay, but the twist might be a little fast for the 90 gr. 
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    Note Nonsense's reply to your previous post. To many variables, to be even guessing. Load some up, is all you can do.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭
    Better recheck those numbers as 1:14 is fairly slow for the 25/06. Best I can tell 1:10 is most common. My Savages (both factory and re-barrel) are 1:10 and shoot 90-115 grain bullets quite accurately.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    Mobuck said:
    Better recheck those numbers as 1:14 is fairly slow for the 25/06. Best I can tell 1:10 is most common. My Savages (both factory and re-barrel) are 1:10 and shoot 90-115 grain bullets quite accurately.
    Now that you mention it, 1:10 might be it. I was cleaning/checking several guns at once, and may have got them confused with one another. I'll recheck it today.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Mobuck
    I have never heard of a 1-14, 25-06. The standard twist rate is 1-10.  I know one person who wanted a faster twist rate (1-12) and ended up spending big bucks to have it custom built.  If I had one with a twist that slow, I would begin with the lightest bullets I could find.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    As stated above, the standard twist rate for the .25-06 is 1:10" checked against my manufacturers list. The exception for a slower twist rate is the 1:12" for the lightest bullets such as the 90 grain for varmints. The 1:14" twist is an absolute failure for the 90 grain bullets or even the 75 grain VMAX which require a 1:12 twist rate to stabilize the bullets.

Best.

• Options
    Yep, I checked it again. You fellas are correct, it's 1:10. Sorry for posting fake news earlier! :(