In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

? Encore 50 cal pistol configuration

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
I have a couple of questions for the experts on muzzle loaders. I need to share some background with you & will try to keep it relatively short.

I have very little experience with muzzle loaders. I have am an avid pistol hunter and rarely use anything other than revolvers (41 mag, 45 Colt, 454) for big game hunting. I have the opportunity to hunt elk & deer in Colorado with muzzle loaders this fall. I prefer to use a handgun.

The questions -- has anyone had any experience with an Encore muzzle loader in handgun configuration? If not, how do you think one would perform with a 16" bbl? I have considered the alternatives of purchasing a rifle bbl and having it cut down to 16" or having a custom bbl (probably SSK Industries) made. Which would be your choice?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    I myself like hunting with a handgun and I thought about the Encore pistol for muzzle loading. But I called the DOW here in Colorado and they are not allowed, why I don't know...Bull
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will lose some energy shooting a 16 inch black powder barrel. As I recall you need to go up to at least 22 inches to get good combustion of the powder.
    Especially for elk I wouldn't want a 16 inch pistol barrel in .50
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. If DOW in Colorado does not allow such, I guess that I do not need one.