In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Convert Kimber Custom .45 to 38 super??

psantospsantos Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am curious can I use a colt 70 series slide & extractor (obviously barrel and bushing) and simply add this top end to my Kimber?/It would seem to be simple like the .22 kits out there.Is the Colt slide compatable to the kimber? I think the 70 series is 80 series is not.Would Numrich be the best place to buy parts??thxpaul

Comments

• Options
    compgunfirecompgunfire Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll also have to change the ejector on the frame to 9mm/.38 super. There will also be some fiting required - barrel & link area and maybe slide fit.
  • Options
    psantospsantos Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a .38 super slide is needed due to breech face dimensions, the extractor is the same part, but the breech face which is part of the slide, is narrower to accomodate the .38 super cartridge.I think!!!Paul
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Won't work unless you get a 'smith to redo the feed ramp-it's different on a .45 than a .38 Super.
  • Options
    Ross C. McDonellRoss C. McDonell Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rock is right. A good smith can do the work for you. However Kimber is building guns in .38 super now. If you want to do your own conversion use a 9mm gun as the base and then you can swap in the .38 super. Or better yet really step it up and go for the 9x23.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe he uses ramped-barrelled units-then it doesn't matter.That's a good point about the 9x23-it produces ballistics equal to major-caliber.38 Super loads,with a standard barrel.The.38 Super major loads require a fully-supported barrel.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Why not go all out and convert to .38 Casull?Just as much money and work; more power.
    When it absolutely, positively,has to be destroyed overnight.....U.S. MARINES. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A LOT more money.