In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington rolling block ammo?

IrisMIrisM Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have been given a very clean Remington Rolling block carbine. The barrel is marked 7MM-S M and appears to be original to the rifle. What is the true original caliber of this rifle? I had guessed 7X57 Mauser but that case is much too large. Is the original ammunition still available? Thanks!

vr,
"IrisM"
brizeer@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago I owned a No. 5 Rolling Block chambered for the 7mm Mauser cartridge. It would work with any 7 x 57mm ammo.

The only thing I could imagine, re your carbine is that the barrel has been "sleeved", i.e. a rifled liner soldered in the barrel. This would enable the carbine to use a smaller centerfire or rimfire cartridge.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be any number of candidates. In a case like this, if you wish to shoot it, don't play around getting guesses from afar. Take it to a competent gunsmith, have a chamber cast made and measure that to learn the correct round to use.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain) ". . . And liberals / demoMAGGOTS" (me)