In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

guns gifted

RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Ask the Experts
A coworker friend of mine recent received 2 interesting vintage guns from a family member of his. One is a Smith and Wesson Military and police 38 special blued 4" barrel in really good condition the sn is 396056. He would like to know about when it was manufactured if anyone knows. The other gun has a butt plate marked Remington Arms Co but in general it looks like an A-5 Browning 12 ga semi auto shotgun. The sn is 81064. He is wondering if this shotgun would have 2 3/4" chambers and when it would have been made if anyone would know. There is some Browning patent information on the barrel but I don't see information on the choke. Thanks for your help with this information.

Edit: Hoosier thanks. Yes the safety is inside the trigger guard and moves forward and back. Would this be a 2 3/4" chamber gun?

Edit: Many thanks to the Asphalt Cowboy for this information I will pass the information along and suggest that he have a gunsmith check it out. I am sure he would like to use it, the shotgun does not show its age.

Comments

• Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wessons 2nd ed lists that number from between 1915 and 1942. (241704-700000)

John Browning licensed his patent for that shotgun to Remington which sold it as the Model 11, along with Savage (720). Browning licensed FN in Belgium to manufacture the Browning A-5.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington SN puts it in the Type one version. Should have a Safety inside of the trigger guard.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington model 11 came out in 1905. Serial # 81064 was built in 1909 and it had a 2 3/4" chamber. There is also a serial number stamped on the underside of the barrel on the ring that slides over the magazine tube, it should match the receivers serial number. If not than barrels were switched to accommodate a hunters preference on choke.
    You should only shoot 1 1/4ounce shotshells or lighter otherwise the gun gets beat up too much internally.
    You mentioned a choke, you will find it stamped on the lower left side of the barrel under the forearm wood. Value would be from $250 to $350 depending on condition of the wood and metal.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thorhammer
    You should only shoot 1 1/4ounce shotshells or lighter otherwise the gun gets beat up too much internally.

I would beg to differ thor.
    The Mod 11 will readily handle any 2 3/4" load currently offered by manufacturers as well as reloads kept within published pressure limits. Where action battering comes in is when the recoil system is set-up for light loads and then firing heavy (high pressure) loads.

Robin, print this off for your friend. It shows the proper set-up for the spring, friction piece (bronze piece) and friction ring (beveled steel).
    http://www.leeroysramblings.com/hunting/rem_recoilring.jpg

Also. There is a recoil cushion in the rear of the receiver behind the bolt. This part, and it's rivet, needs to be present and in good condition if your friend intends to use this gun. I would suggest taking it to a gunsmith familiar with the Model 11 and have it checked prior to shooting the gun. Damage to the gun, and injury to the shooter, could result if the cushion is not present.
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another concern is not shoot any steel shot through it, it will harm the barrel and may crack a full choke.

Also on a hundred year old gun, my recommend is to keep the chamber pressure below 11,000 psi (that's 1 1/8 oz loads) my recommend only.

Cowboy: I appreciate the friction ring guide as I needed one.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks also from me for the recoil diagram. My memory had faded on what order everything went on. I also have a Model 11, circa 1910, that I inherited from my grandfather. It still shoots very well.[:D]