In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Air Conditioner Help NOT Giveaway

13»

Comments

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys sure give up easy.[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a matter of giving up, it's just that this must be something that's a one in a million occurrence.

I have seen just about everything, but without more clues,....oh well. I don't have a boat anymore anyway!

ETA: Your wife put the wrong size filter in the A/H, and/or return grille,.... or she missed the slot, and it sucked up towards the blower assembly flopping all over?

You said your wife was responsible, and it concerned the filter.
    Nobody is going to guess this!!!!!!!!!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hamster-wheel.jpg

Need a new circulating fan. [;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your wife put Christmas tinsel near the duct work and it got sucked in.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife used to put air fresheners in the vents. Am I close?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Not a matter of giving up, it's just that this must be something that's a one in a million occurrence.

I have seen just about everything, but without more clues,....oh well. I don't have a boat anymore anyway!

ETA: Your wife put the wrong size filter in the A/H, and/or return grille,.... or she missed the slot, and it sucked up towards the blower assembly flopping all over?

You said your wife was responsible, and it concerned the filter.
    Nobody is going to guess this!!!!!!!!!

We apparently had the wrong filter all along the filter was part of the problem but was not making the noise.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the fins fell off the squirrel cage or got bent???
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are ever going to find out? the suspense is killing me...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodhog
    Are ever going to find out? the suspense is killing me...

Well I did mention that if nobody guessed by Christmas that I would just pick a name.[;)][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    Well I did mention that if nobody guessed by Christmas that I would just pick a name.[;)][:D][:D][:D]

Well, I hope you pick jerk as that is what you are being! Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

Well, I hope you pick jerk as that is what you are being! Don

Hey I resemble that remark but there is one person here that knows the correct answer besides me.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some democrats came by for a donation and your wife kicked one of them in the back side and they got stuck in the air conditioner return vent. Their gums were flapping and that was the weird noise.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Some democrats came by for a donation and your wife kicked one of them in the back side and they got stuck in the air conditioner return vent. Their gums were flapping and that was the weird noise.

[:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wife hung clothes from vent, hook of hanger broke off got into unit
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wife hung clothes from vent, hook of hanger broke off got into unit
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm gonna guess that the guts sucked out of the filter itself and buggered up the fan.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did mention a short time ago that no clothes or sex toys were responsible for the noise.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Thanks for givin me the run-around in the email buddy but.....I have pondered for a day and have a question.Were U using the proper size filter?
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    Your wife decided to tie streamers to the vent that indicate when the air is blowing?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Thanks for givin me the run-around in the email buddy but.....I have pondered for a day and have a question.Were U using the proper size filter?

No it had a 16x20x1 when it should have had a 16x25x1.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was a <noun/> causing the noise.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

An inanimate object.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I've been pondering.

This is my best guess.

Its central air. With one or two horizontal vents. Some don't have covers.

An empty soda can (that's like a pop can) fell into the ductwork at some point.

The gap in the undersized filter is important.

The soda can would sometimes (but not always) roll into the void. When the blower cycled, it may or may not launch the can a couple of feet up the ductwork. When it rested in the center of the filter, no noise. When it rolled to the gap, the unobstructed air flow launched it.

I spent several hours with a ouiji board and I'm pretty sure I'm right.

My psychotic powers have been particularly strong this year.

But it could have been a shotgun hull.

The magic 8 ball says empty can. But it's unreliable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Duct work not involved at all but think filter area.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the filter in the bottom of the air handler, or in the return grille?[:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll make a WAG at it and posit that some inanimate object placed near the filter was making a whistling noise much like what you would get if you were to blow air across the top of a soda bottle.

Perhaps the result of having the wrong size filter and attempting to "make do" until the correct size was in place the perfect storm was created to make the duct whistle? Screw loose or missing that holds the filter in place or something placed there to help in stay in place?

We had some body work done to our compact car and since that day, if the wind is blowing and you are traveling in the right direction it whistles, not a wind whistling type sound from a partially opened window, but a whistle as if you puckered your lips and whistled.

Haven't found the culprit yet, possibly a missing screw or just a screw loose.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

An inanimate object.
    I win!
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Is the filter in the bottom of the air handler, or in the return grille?[:)]

The filter is located right behind a temporarily missing vent at the time in the basement about 3 inches off the floor. Its about 4 inches from the vent to the air filter and about 5 inches from the filter to the squirrel cage.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by susie
    I'll make a WAG at it and posit that some inanimate object placed near the filter was making a whistling noise much like what you would get if you were to blow air across the top of a soda bottle.

Perhaps the result of having the wrong size filter and attempting to "make do" until the correct size was in place the perfect storm was created to make the duct whistle? Screw loose or missing that holds the filter in place or something placed there to help in stay in place?

We had some body work done to our compact car and since that day, if the wind is blowing and you are traveling in the right direction it whistles, not a wind whistling type sound from a partially opened window, but a whistle as if you puckered your lips and whistled.

Haven't found the culprit yet, possibly a missing screw or just a screw loose.

Susie it was nothing whistling it was something definitely some what stuck in the squirrel cage. It really didn't impair the squirrel cage from spinning but it left there long enough would have caused a major problem. As far as the filter size being wrong we were totally unaware of the fact until this problem occurred. We were using the wrong size all along.