In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"I want to return this rifle"......

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,687 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
I love to share my frustration with you guys. Some of you "get" why I am the way I am.....mainly this kind of crap right here....

**HIM** I received the rifle today and noticed it has been cut down and I really like it other than it has been shortened from an at least 26" barrel as you can see where the pin went thru the magazine tube about 4" behind where the pin is now which means they shortened the barrel from the front and tha magazine tube by cutting it off from the rear. The bore is pretty nice and properly described but I don't believe I would like to have this much invested in the rifle with it being cut down. Do I reurn it to the same address on the box label?

**ME** The listing says that the barrel is 22 inches long.....and the ad also states that the bore is not perfect, not heavily pitted, but dark. I do not believe that this ad states anything other than what you are telling me in your email.....which is confusing to me as to why you would want me to take this item back???

**HIM** no, there's nothing wrong with the bore it's fine and I have no complaints about it -- sometimes folks measure from a different area when measuring the barrel like the front of the receiver instead from the back of the chamber and I had just assumed you had measured from the front of the receiver which would have made it a correct 24" barrel or actually it would measure about 23 3/4 which is correct. This is 22" from the back of the chamber which means it is cut down at least 2" or the other hole in the magazine indicates it might have started life as a 26" barrel.....(it goes on and on and on)

do you intend to remedy this situation ?

**ME** I am sorry....the barrel is the length is was advertised on Gun Broker. If I had made a mistake I can see where someone would expect that I take the item back, but I did not....so I do not feel I should be responsible.

I do a large number of consignment sales. The owner of this rifle has been paid. When the rifle left here...I also sent a check to him. I would suggest listing it on Gun Broker yourself. You are welcome to copy my ad and use my pictures to list the rifle.

**Him** That's fine I'll see what GunBroker has to say -- they may see it differently

**Me**You are welcome to contact them, but I am certain that they will agree that the ad states everything plainly and the pictures show the rifle from end to end. The fact that you thought I might have measured the barrel length wrong when you bought the gun is beyond any reasonable sellers perameters for a reason to accept a return in my eyes.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have four inches of extra barrel laying around that you can send him?
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    You are far more verbose than necessary.

Bottom line, the gun is as described (perhaps better based on his comments re: bore) and he's wanting to return it?

Pack sand buddy.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Offer to sell it on consignment for him, Kasey.

Tell him that you will cut him a deal and that you will only charge 25% instead of your standard commission...[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to see the link from the auction. From your descriptions and all of your sharp photos I would like to see for myself, if I would have missed the barrel being cut down. Please post the link!
    Thanks,
    Ed
    Found it!
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=342274451

This is one of those situations where if he asked about the barrel length, it would not have been a stupid question! No original box? I'm surprised!!!
    He has buyers remorse. In my opinion, it's his problem.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,395 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Bottom line, the gun is as described (perhaps better based on his comments re: bore) and he's wanting to return it?

Pack sand buddy.
    Yep, while I did not look at this particular auction, Kasey always has lots of good clear pictures. If the "magazine pin" looked out of place to him, or if he had any question about the procedure used to calculate barrel length, he should have asked.....so pound sand it is.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure to measure from the back of the barrel not the front of the receiver...[;)]
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remedy???... I have a remedy for you.. You are now blocked from bidding on any of my auctions. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Pack sand buddy.
    Yep, while I did not look at this particular auction, Kasey always has lots of good clear pictures. If the "magazine pin" looked out of place to him, or if he had any question about the procedure used to calculate barrel length, he should have asked.....so pound sand it is.
    Upon thinking on this further. If he wants to return it. Fine. Let him know what the restocking fee is and deduct that from the amount you return to him, once you receive the gun in same condition it left. It will sell again, I'm sure.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't forget the feedback could ruin your business..
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    did it come with a box??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How many times was it fired?
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It must be my eyes. Where is he seeing a second pin hole in the mag?
    If he's referring to the screw for the fore end cap then he's had it apart.[V]
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The listing clearly states a 22 inch barrel. The only possible issue here would be if Winchester offered that rifle with a 22 inch barrel originally. If a 22 inch barrel was OEM and this proved to be cut back to 22 inches then I can see a source of confusion.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Found it!

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=342274451In my opinion, if a seller knows something is altered, a cut down in this case, a seller should mention it in the description; not just let the pictures do the talking. If a seller doesn't know, well.....

However, that being said, if this is the auction then anyone with a modicum of Winchester knowledge would instantly know from picture 1 that it was a cut down!!!!!!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy I don't know here. The return policy is "unspecified" and nowhere doers it say no returns. 22 inch barrel implies a factory 22 IMO
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kasey I have a junk 1873 and the barrel measures 23 and a half from the front of the reciever. It looks like about a 44 caliber though. Don't know if this helps or hurts. I'm not an antique type of guy so I know nothing about the older guns.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really think you should mention,,"cut down,",I know I know, but some newbs are in this market,,,it will then be his baby if bought--
    just to save this kind if thing..
    Also, since you almost always get 125% retail out of your items,,,MAYBE a restock fee of 25% and you could sell it again and make money yourself,,just a thought-
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    The very 1st picture shows that the barrel has been cut. The barrel band is far too close to the muzzle. You said that it was a 22" barrel. Correct as stated, and glaringly obvious.

Buyer is an idiot. If he doesn't know Winchesters he shouldn't be bidding & worrying about originality.

This buyer needs to man up & realize he doesn't know as much about Winchesters as he thinks he does!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This one was listed as being exactly what it is....which is a less than perfect gun. Its one of the more common of the older Winchesters, not a perfect bore, very worn finish......its not like it was a museum grade find to begin with.

I am sure that when he contacts Gun Broker and hears back from them I will not hear anything more from him on this.

Its guys like this who make me want to put "as is" on my listings.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,395 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    How many times was it fired?
    With the old 26" barrel, or the now chopped down 22 incher?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It looked pretty obviously cut down to me and I don't even know old winchesters that well.[:I] My guess is, when the receiving FFL got the rifle in, the guy started asking his FFL guy about the deal he got. The receiving FFL then told him it looked cut down, so they tore it open together to investigate.

Thus his story.

Either tell him to pack sand or offer a restocking fee, if you're feeling generous.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This one is actually an antique....it went directly to him.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just for the record, not that it makes a tinker's damn, the original barrel length would have been 24 inches (advertised, actual length varies slightly), not 26 inches.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Cool to know!
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's an original 22" barrel I'm on your side. If it has been cut down to that length I side with the buyer. That would have a dramatic effect on value and should be noted in the text of the auction. Simply saying "not perfect" is not full disclosure.

LF, you seem really upset that some buyers want to return the items they bought. Isn't this a normal part of doing business? Sometimes buyers want to return things... especially when they are buying online without being able to examine the item in person.

I personally think selling online means you have to be willing to accept returns as a part of doing business. You can go the "no return" route, but grousing about customers returning items isn't real productive.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As far as this situation....or anything like it I must side with the owner of the item.

If I ran around buying things I could dink around with morons over and over again.....but when it comes to selling something FOR another person....when a goof ball comes along I must stand my ground.

The return of this item will harm the sale in my opinion. It is clearly his fault for bidding the item past what he now thinks he wants to pay for the item.

On something such as an antique like this it is important to look at the pictures and bid accordingly. These are not brand new guns....nobody can describe anything better than a detailed picture can show.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    As far as this situation....or anything like it I must side with the owner of the item.

If I ran around buying things I could dink around with morons over and over again.....but when it comes to selling something FOR another person....when a goof ball comes along I must stand my ground.

The return of this item will harm the sale in my opinion. It is clearly his fault for bidding the item past what he now thinks he wants to pay for the item.

On something such as an antique like this it is important to look at the pictures and bid accordingly. These are not brand new guns....nobody can describe anything better than a detailed picture can show.

I'd be willing to argue your last sentence. And, as far as your first sentence, once again I would be willing to argue.
    Your agreement with the "owner" and the sales contract with the buyer has nothing to do with the "owner". That is your risk in consignment sales.
    If, you know as a fact, that something has been altered I think it should be mentioned in the text.
    All that being said, I think the buyer is responsible for not asking questions to start with. I also am a believer in a three day return policy............You my dear, are on your own!
    Good luck and I wish you a happy outcome,
    Ed
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    If it's an original 22" barrel I'm on your side. If it has been cut down to that length I side with the buyer. That would have a dramatic effect on value and should be noted in the text of the auction. Simply saying "not perfect" is not full disclosure.

LF, you seem really upset that some buyers want to return the items they bought. Isn't this a normal part of doing business? Sometimes buyers want to return things... especially when they are buying online without being able to examine the item in person.

I personally think selling online means you have to be willing to accept returns as a part of doing business. You can go the "no return" route, but grousing about customers returning items isn't real productive.

I would agree if the original is not 22inches and it had been cut that should have been stated. Not everybody has the knowledge, does that mean they shouldnt ask or seek it, no. But if a gun has been modified from factory spec it should be spelled out. Im also leery of internet sellers who take the approach of all sales are final type thing specially somebody that is a store,

Nothing against the seller or the gun, but antique or not I can imagine dropping 1500 bucks on something like that.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    Do you have four inches of extra barrel laying around that you can send him?

[:D][:D]

That's what she said.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is one of those things that the details were plainly stated.....pictures showing every inch of the gun were shown....anything further than what is said in the auction should have been asked.

If we are going to start saying "if you don't state it in the description it isn't true" you are pretty much saying anyone can come up with ANY reason to return an item and you should accept it.

"It is shown in the clearly visible pictures and you do not say anything about the wood being brown, but now that I have the gun in hand and SEE that the wood is in fact brown....I will be returning this for a full refund."

....or.....

"You don't say you will not include a tube of turtle wax and a teddy bear when you ship this item.....since I did not receive such items I will be sending this back to you for a refund."
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JMHO, from selling antiquities and collectibles for the last 16 years.
    The use of the "vintage" in your description does not allow the cut down barrel unless you also state it was altered.

This is NOT a vintage 55 chevy.....
    gasser55s_gasserdave3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That IS a very cool 55 Chevy.....

Vintage is actually a word that is specifically related to wine....when not referring to wine it is typically known to be slang for "old"...but not a specific definition.

You can say I am a "1968 vintage female"....but someone can also say I am wearing a "2011 vintage Gun Broker sweatshirt."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Only thing that applies here...Caveat emptor. I seen no return policy on the ad.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is one of those things that the details were plainly stated.....pictures showing every inch of the gun were shown....anything further than what is said in the auction should have been asked.

If we are going to start saying "if you don't state it in the description it isn't true" you are pretty much saying anyone can come up with ANY reason to return an item and you should accept it.

"It is shown in the clearly visible pictures and you do not say anything about the wood being brown, but now that I have the gun in hand and SEE that the wood is in fact brown....I will be returning this for a full refund."

....or.....

"You don't say you will not include a tube of turtle wax and a teddy bear when you ship this item.....since I did not receive such items I will be sending this back to you for a refund."

You asked for our opinions, didn't you?[}:)][;)]
    You are an extremely successful seller here. You do what you think is right, and I'm sure everything will be alright.
    Watching your auctions, (and of course stealing a few ideas[;)]) I am in no position to question how you do things![^]
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I do love getting everyone's opinions here. I'm not fussing...just giving my own opinion back.

(I do tend to sound like I am upset all of the time....who knows why???) I haven't figured out how to type my "care free" attitude that I truly do have.

I do wish my son would COME ON DOWN out of his room.....I need to go get his hair cut, make the bank deposit and stop by one of the pawn shops that I deal with to see if they have any treasures for me today.

Later I will be listing some more really NICE things that are here for this weekend. I'm hoping to get going so I can get back in time to get some work done.

I'm about to leave that boy here!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As I see it, you can accept it back and probably sell it again on this very site for near to what he paid (maybe more depending on what our Feds are doing at the time of listing). If you ask for a small restocking fee (wholly justifiable due to the gun being as described), I see that as making it fair all the way around. Happy buyer. Your seller still has his money, and you only have to deal with selling a rifle, which is your business anyway. Just assess the restocking fee at some point where you get comped for the sales fee on GB and whatever you feel the hassle is worth. Heck, the auction is already written.[:I]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do love getting everyone's opinions here. I'm not fussing...just giving my own opinion back.

(I do tend to sound like I am upset all of the time....who knows why???) I haven't figured out how to type my "care free" attitude that I truly do have.

I do wish my son would COME ON DOWN out of his room.....I need to go get his hair cut, make the bank deposit and stop by one of the pawn shops that I deal with to see if they have any treasures for me today.

Later I will be listing some more really NICE things that are here for this weekend. I'm hoping to get going so I can get back in time to get some work done.

I'm about to leave that boy here!!!

Why ask,,when you ALWAYS do what you want,,just sayin,,thats what happens,,my idea of mentioning of a "cut down barrel" is only fair to all-
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will take him 6 weeks to get a response from GB.

And to think, he's not happy, but there were plenty of other bidders who want the rifle?
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so, what he is saying is he never took into account that the barrel had been cut off. So he is saying there is a factory gun with a 22 inch barrel and that is what he was expecting because the ad does not mention the barrel had been cut to 22 inches?

Well...

It says ask if you have questions. I kinda see his point, but I think we can say it's more on him for not being specific enough or asking questions. I can see this happening to me, I would never think to ask if a barrel had been cut down if there was a factory version of that length.

Tough call.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will have to agree with LF on this one. If he had said in his email that he was mislead and wanted to return it I may see it different,,,BUT,,since he basically says he thought she was too dumb to measure a barrel and since she was right and he was wrong ,,he wants to return it. I would think about adding a line to the auctions something like "No return's unless description is misleading or wrong"