In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"I want to return this rifle"......

Comments

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree. you should know or ask questions...

hehehe he is waiting for a response by GB
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't buy collector guns but if I did I would specifically ask "Is there anything out of the normal with this or has it been modified in any way?" I would expect the seller to be able to answer my questions. This is a collector gun even though it's in very rough shape. To command a collector price it needs to be correct. Apparently this one is not. Yes, the buyer should look closely and ask questions, but the seller has some responsibility, as well. I still say that for online selling a generous return policy is needed to ensure confidence. Many (including LF) disagree with me. Seems to me that not offering returns with a smile is causing her at least as much angst and grief was would simply offering returns to unhappy buyers.

Just my thinking.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is why i sell "as is" no returns.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    I don't buy collector guns but if I did I would specifically ask "Is there anything out of the normal with this or has it been modified in any way?" I would expect the seller to be able to answer my questions. This is a collector gun even though it's in very rough shape. To command a collector price it needs to be correct. Apparently this one is not. Yes, the buyer should look closely and ask questions, but the seller has some responsibility, as well. I still say that for online selling a generous return policy is needed to ensure confidence. Many (including LF) disagree with me. Seems to me that not offering returns with a smile is causing her at least as much angst and grief was would simply offering returns to unhappy buyers.

Just my thinking.
    yep
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact the next highest bidder and see if he wants it.

All in all though the buyer is a idiot and assumed you had described it wrong.
    RLTW

• Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy who explains that he bought a gun figuring the seller made a mistake in how they measured something is pretty bizarre as explanations go.

That would be like some woman going into the store and having the clerk tell them they didn't know their own bra....never mind.[;)][:D]
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Buyers remorse, he should have asked all and any questions he had prior to bidding, hope he enjoys his rifle.
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    This one was listed as being exactly what it is....which is a less than perfect gun. Its one of the more common of the older Winchesters, not a perfect bore, very worn finish......its not like it was a museum grade find to begin with.

I am sure that when he contacts Gun Broker and hears back from them I will not hear anything more from him on this.

Its guys like this who make me want to put "as is" on my listings.

When I was selling for the shop I worked for last year, that's all we did. As is, just like on our shop floor for used firearms.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    Buyers remorse, he should have asked all and any questions he had prior to bidding, hope he enjoys his rifle.
    Yep!! His wife wants him to return the rifle,,[;)][;)]
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    His comment that just assumed you don't know how to measure a rifle barrel and then he went ahead and bid anyway pretty much tells the whole story.

He may have believed he was pulling a fast one, he was wrong, and now he wants out of the deal.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You deal with lots of silly folks, no wonder your hair is always wild lookin! [:D]

Really, bless you for dealing with all the fools you have to...
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's pretty obvious he didn't know what he was bidding on.

That being said, the gun had been significantly altered and that wasn't in the description. I see that as a failure on the seller's part.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

After reading more comments, it sounds like he figured you as dummy. His gun. No sweat the guy or his feedback.
  • Options
    mystrymanmystryman Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LF....to hell with him. He CLEARLY saw all pictures before bidding. You didn't hide anything from him. He was a uneducated buyer.
  • Options
    firechieffirechief Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe he just needed it to swap some parts?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From one old GB friend to another. I think that you should allow the individual to return the rifle, but not at a full refund. Why not a full refund? Because the buyer should have had the sense to ask you if the rifle was original or not, but he did not. Was it his first time at buying an old, original collectible? Perhaps it was not, but then again, he could be a newbie to collecting old guns. With that being the case, and you not only being a dealer, but being a highly successful one, you should, without a doubt, advertise that you know or do not know whether a piece is original or not where old guns are the focus. Making the statement you did, "That this is a great find!" in the absence of qualifying statements as to its originality will more likely than not be seen by many people as being inaccurate and misleading, because to them, an old Winchester with a shortened barrel is anything but a great find.

James
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yep or his bud told him that he could find a better one!

my thoughts!
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303

my thoughts!

This is my thought.

There were 26 bids on that auction. He bid early and then bid late to win. He had plenty of time to ask questions before he spent over 1400 bucks on the rifle.

He had some outside opinions and is now remorseful. If he had issues with barrel length in the first place he would have asked before spending 1400.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75

my thoughts!

This is my thought.

There were 26 bids on that auction. He bid early and then bid late to win. He had plenty of time to ask questions before he spent over 1400 bucks on the rifle.

He had some outside opinions and is now remorseful. If he had issues with barrel length in the first place he would have asked before spending 1400.

That might well be true, but a dealer should follow a strict code of ethical standards as well, not only for personal reasons, but for professional reasons too.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, based on the current high bid ($3,075.00) on this auction, and I suspect it will go higher, we just might see another thread about a buyer that wants to return a gun they won!! No mention of the issues; letting the pictures do the talking, but in all fairness they do speak volumes for those that know what they are looking at!!!!! Caveat Emptor!!!!!!

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=344906522

quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Regarding the Winchester 1876 auction; looking at picture 3 it looks like the muzzle is showing a relining of the barrel. [?]

Also, looking at pictures 4 and 5, there appears to be a line around the barrel separating two different finishes; just in front of the magazine tube hanger. [?][?] Almost looks like a 3-4 inch section of the barrel was replaced. [:0]

To me, the gun appears to be refinished; wood and metal.quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    It is definately refinished....the letters show it is not very crisp around the edges and even some of the lettering have been buffed down. You can see in pic 12 really well that the top of the "4" is not there. It is reasonable to expect that anyone looking at this dark black finish and case coloring would know it is not original....especially with the close ups of everything.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm with you Lf. Plenty of pics and good description.
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a restocking fee and re-list it, make it worth your while,it had plenty of bids. It will sale again. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NRA CODE OF ETHICS in part as referenced by Norm Flayderman, author of FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS, 9th Edition, Page 41, Paragraph 6: (Added: A listing of practices considered unethical and injurious to the best interests of the collecting fraternity)

The use of inaccurate, misleading, or falsified representations in direct sales, or in selling by a sales list, catalog, periodical advertisement, and other media; the failure to make prompt refunds, adjustments or other proper restitution on all just claims, which may arise from arms sales, direct or by mail.

Again, I believe that both parties were at fault in the selling and buying of the piece as advertised. One party for not asking about originality and the other for violating what most collectors see as a dealer's ethical standards. A simple statement as regards originality could have been made by LF, but was avoided. Why? Lastly, I think that adjustments are called for in this particular situation.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think the 'I thought it was advertised incorrectly.' defense will stand up in any court.

That said, how do I cancel a bid on one of Kasey's auctions?[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    NRA CODE OF ETHICS in part as referenced by Norm Flayderman, author of FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS, 9th Edition, Page 41, Paragraph 6: (Added: A listing of practices considered unethical and injurious to the best interests of the collecting fraternity)

The use of inaccurate, misleading, or falsified representations in direct sales, or in selling by a sales list, catalog, periodical advertisement, and other media; the failure to make prompt refunds, adjustments or other proper restitution on all just claims, which may arise from arms sales, direct or by mail.

Again, I believe that both parties were at fault in the selling and buying of the piece as advertised. One party for not asking about originality and the other for violating what most collectors see as a dealer's ethical standards. A simple statement as regards originality could have been made by LF, but was avoided. Why? Lastly, I think that adjustments are called for in this particular situation.

I understand your reference and I disagree.
    Maybe from lack of knowledge of what might else be represented in the auction.

These are penny, no reserve auctions and the market spoke. Had it not gone to this guy at the last minute, it would have gone nearly as high to the next.

LF, did you get any questions on the auction, other than "do you have the box"
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you absolutely have to have full descriptions of what you are selling.. if it is cut down ,refinished redone then state it. .if you not sure state that too..

No way to charge a "restocking fee" if it doesnt state that in the auction ..
  • Options
    edited November -1

I understand your reference and I disagree.
    Maybe from lack of knowledge of what might else be represented in the auction.

These are penny, no reserve auctions and the market spoke. Had it not gone to this guy at the last minute, it would have gone nearly as high to the next.

LF, did you get any questions on the auction, other than "do you have the box"

There you go. You answered it yourself.
    What's next?
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    I sometimes sell on consignment. I never send payment to a gun's owner until after the gun is in the buyer's hands and I know he is satisfied with it.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I see what the problem is. there were not enough pictures.[:0][:o)]
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    this is why I dont buy on GB too many suck ups and good old boys.tks.[:D]hedge
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were spending upwards of $1500 on a rusty, pitted, old rifle, Id spend $30 FIRST on a book about rusty, old rifles.
    That said, if a business chooses to deal in rare antiquties, Im not sure "buyer beware" is a phrase theyd want to have associated with their brand.
    Just sayin.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hedgehopper62

....and you are on the forums????

Hmmm.....isn't that against the rules?

I just got home. The boy got his haircut and it looks pretty much the same as it did before...just a fuzz shorter. Why we go so often I will never know.

Thank you guys. It seems the majority of you agree that this one is a done deal and he bought himself a rifle. As far as anyone saying ANY of my auctions are misleading.....really??? Do you think I could post more pictures covering every inch of the gun??? If I were hiding ANYTHING I'm pretty certain there wouldn't be 30+ pictures in most of my auctions.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kase, I received my gun,and its not perfect.....well?....[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Kase, I received my gun,and its not perfect.....well?....[:o)]

I'm sure its worth more just because its yours!!! Pwillie treasure....its like Elvis memorabilia, but even better!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    quote:Originally posted by hedgehopper62

....and you are on the forums????

Hmmm.....isn't that against the rules?

I just got home. The boy got his haircut and it looks pretty much the same as it did before...just a fuzz shorter. Why we go so often I will never know.

Thank you guys. It seems the majority of you agree that this one is a done deal and he bought himself a rifle. As far as anyone saying ANY of my auctions are misleading.....really??? Do you think I could post more pictures covering every inch of the gun??? If I were hiding ANYTHING I'm pretty certain there wouldn't be 30+ pictures in most of my auctions.

It's not a matter of your pictures, LF...and you are smart enough to know that too. You're also smart enough to remember that this is not the first time that you have brought forward this type of an issue. I'll let it go at that, as I and some other collectors/concerned individuals have had their say. I'll go one further than that and ensure that I do not respond to anymore of your posts that might have to do with this same issue.

Have a good evening.

James
    What's next?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The buyer needed to ask some questions and why he spent that much money without a few emails going to LF I cannot understand. On the flip side- photos, though helpful are not in and of themselves an answer to every question. I got an e-mail once asking me if the front sight on an H&R M1 I had listed was in fact an H&R front sight. Sending the man a close up of the sight may or may not have answered his question but a simple Yes, it is an HRA front sight did the trick. Photos can often be misleading because they have no scale or reference points.

Is this an H&R front sight? It is possible to tell instantly if you have a trained eye and have been immersed in M1s for few decades but otherwise a simple yes or no is more helpful to a potential buyer:
    HRAsight.jpg[/URL]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yep like taking a lot of pics so that people can see what they are buying!

my thoughts!

This is my thought.

That might well be true, but a dealer should follow a strict code of ethical standards as well, not only for personal reasons, but for professional reasons too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This person did not ask ONE question during or after the auction....

The fact that he says "I just thought you measured it wrong" is a huge hint that he KNEW what he was getting when he bid. Why would someone do that.....say "you seem like you don't know what you are doing and I just bid a bunch of money anyway".....I cannot understand that at all.

So, I'm supposed to tell the owner of this rifle that he screwed up....and take this thing back????

The owner of the rifle may or MAY NOT get the same price. What about the other bidders that wanted this thing.....and now the rifle is relisted. They most certainly wouldn't bid again knowing it was returned by the winning bidder. (I wouldn't if I were bidding on something like this.)
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pictures show what the gun is. It's not a pristine collectible. It is described well. He bought it, he should have known what he was bidding on.
    This rifle was made about 1889. You could get about any barrel length you wanted, even a 22 in. How does he know the barrel was cut? How does he know the tube was not damaged and replaced 90 years ago? Now he is an expert, but just "assumed" the barrel was measured wrong. What difference does it make on a gun of this condition?
    It's never going to be more than it is. I would love to own a 73 Winchester in any condition myself. But you get what you pay for. Not many bargain basement guns to be found.
    If he does not like what he bought, he can certainly sell it. Shipping is no problem due to it's age. List it, sell it here. And shut up.
    To add, 24 in. was the "standard" barrel length, but 12in. to 36in. lengths are known to have been made.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On another note....being a consignment seller means that I have to do my best for BOTH sides of the sale.

If this sucker were mine....I'd take it back and tell Gun Broker this guy was a moron and hope they terminate him. Then I'd move on.....but this isn't the case with this one.

The person that owns this one....watched the auction and expects his payment for the sale. If I had missed something, listed it as the wrong caliber, broken firing pin, crack in the stock not shown in the pictures.....then I would be 100% inclined to take this back.....give the seller his money...refund the buyer....relist it and HOPE to get as much out of it as I could to recoup my mistake (this has happened.)

You guys for the most part agree that this guy is "iffy" on why he wants to return it. I think most of you understand this whole thing.