In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who owns a 30-30

reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I've been thinking about getting one. who has one and are they as fun/popular as some people tell me they are. All posts will be much appreciated. thx reloader44mag.

Comments

• Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    I've been thinking about getting one. who has one and are they as fun/popular as some people tell me they are. All posts will be much appreciated. thx reloader44mag.
    I have two, but I have never shot them [:(]. I am stocked on ammo though [:D]
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I have been thinking of getting one also. My brother has my dads winchester 30-30 i should get it from him for a season to see if i like it. I want one for a truck gun for dear season.
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    I have a couple. Killed my first deer with the one my dad got me as a boy. But my grandma's older 1/2 mag, crescent butt-plate rifle with a longer barrel is far more accurate at distance. The old gal harvested her share of Sierra blacktail in her youth. [:D]
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 Winchesters , 2 Marlins and a savage bolt action,I like the 30-30 for a brush gun ,a mid range deer rifle and a good rifle for any begining shooter as the recoil is fairly mild
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I have a 1964 winchester 94.
    Love it!
    great woods/brush gun, acceptable recoil, and its an icon!
    marlin makes a nice lever (I think its #336) as well, and it would cost less.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where we hunt, it's a good all around gun. For me, it's one of them guns that I'll always own.
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Have a Marlin 336 model with marlin 4X scope. Very accurate and will always keep it. Bought my Grandson one just like it, because he wanted mine, except in used condition, so we don't have to worry about the scratches a kid always gets on a gun. Just bought a Winchester 94 that needs some parts replaced and working on it right now. Just reloaded about 50 rounds using H322 @ 29.7 gr. and 150 grain jacketed roundnose soft points. About 2200 FPS. You can't beat the dependability of the 30/30 up to 200 yard range on average. 100 yard range is always remarkably accurate. Accurate, easy to shoot, easy to reload, dependable, packs a wallop in its range. You can load down to 93 grain bullet and get 2970 FPS. Or you can load heavy at almost 200 grain. 150 grain is the most common and what I use. Brass can be reloaded many times. One basic, have to have calibers! Highly recommend you get one, or two, or three, or more.! + set of dies to reload! You will really enjoy this caliber, I'd bet on it.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    iv`e got one, iv`e never shot pigs with it, but iv`e shot kangaroos by the ton with it, and when i lived in north western queensland i shot pigs with it, it was cheap to shoot the pigs with, the land owners gave me the ammo [:)]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great info guys, so should I be looking at a lever gun or a bolt gun?
  • hooch31Lhooch31L Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 of them but prefer my lever action .44 mag.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Picked a used Winchester up early last summer. Kinda fun to shoot.
    edited November -1
    Mine is a lever gun, nothing against bolt action 30-30's just prefer the lever. Everyone should own atleast one lever action, why not a 30-30 [:D][:D]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tneff1969
    Mine is a lever gun, nothing against bolt action 30-30's just prefer the lever. Everyone should own atleast one lever action, why not a 30-30 [:D][:D]
    brand, model?
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchesters have the feel, but Marlins are a stronger gun and will accept a scope better( a must for my old eyes)I've owned both, my present one is a Marlin 336 with a vintage Weaver 2 3/4 x 5 scope
  • PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1

If you are going to use this gun for hunting you need to re-check your hunting regs.
    But wait, both are manually operated so, in that case you have to decide which you're more comfortable with.

Better yet, buy one of each.[;)]

BTW - I have a Mossberg 472 PCA in .30-.30 and had her at the range last fall for season sight in and she's still holding a 2 inch group at 100yd zero w/ 150gr rounds.
    I bought 2 boxes of Hornady's LeveRevolution .30-.30s in 160gr and will need to get more for this falls sight in.
    Can't find PMC Eldarado Starfire rounds anymore.
    edited November -1
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have a Mrlin 336A and a circa 1980 Winnie 94.

I hunt with the Marlin.

I think a .30-30 is a requirement for being a PA hunter, everone I know has at least one
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin 336. +++++++

Very handy deer rifle out to 200 yds. While Winchester made some fine rifles, for levers, go Marlin. MUCH easier to scope, stronger (IMHO) action. The Leverlution ammo permits a spitzer (pointy) bullet in a tube magazine, improves performance and range.
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first and only deer rifle is a 30-30. A Winnie '94. One of those new ones that have been tortured into accepting a scope. I have a Tasco 3-9x32 on her, with see thru rings.

Down here in Louisiana, the brush can be thick. A real long shot is 75 yards for me. I keep the scope zeroed at 100 yards, and the open sights at 50 yards.

My 30-30 crashes through the under brush, oblivious to any twigs, or small branches it encounters along the way. It hits the target with a resounding thud, crushing bucks to their knees. It's almost too much rifle for the small pigs we have here.

If you are planning on shooting over irons, try to get an original Winchester, pre-'64. Ejects straight up.

If you are going to scope it; I suggest the Marlin, with the matching scope developed by Cabelas and Hornady. It is a true 200 yard rifle, if it is set up right.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Marlin 336 and savage 340. That little 340 is a very accurate rifle
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OhDeere1.jpg

Any Questions?

got guns?
  • Nurse DebbieNurse Debbie Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guns-n-painthorses
    OhDeere1.jpg

Any Questions?

got guns?

Love the Henry. I have one in 44 mag that I hunt with. Still love my Winchester in 30-30 better. Killed many deer with the 30-30. I was about 13 when I took my first one.[:X]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sold mine and got a .357 Henry to go with my Rugers cuts down on ammo types
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Love the Henry. I have one in 44 mag that I hunt with. Still love my Winchester in 30-30 better. Killed many deer with the 30-30. I was about 13 when I took my first one.[:X]

Hi Nurse Debbie, welcome to the forum. While it may sorta look like a Henry, it's a 1866 Winchester Commemorative rifle in 30-30. I have got a lot of gruff from collectors about shooting that gun, but I could care less, it'a a deer killing SOB!

got guns?
  • redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have three 1-marlin and 2 winchesters, brought down deer and bear
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my Grandfather's pre-64 Winchester '94 30-30 and I also have a straight grip Marlin lever action 30-30. I prefer the Winchester over the Marlin as the Winchester is lighter. I have open sights on both, factory sights on the Winchester and a rear peep sight on the Marlin.

They make good walking around in the woods guns and are more than adequate for Deer and Hogs.

Bode

P.S. I favor the Federal 125 grn. loads as it keeps the recoil down which is good on my bad shoulder, especially with a checkered steel butt plate on the Winchester.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Savage 340. I don't ever use it, but it is a nice rifle and does shoot straight.
    edited November -1

Lever action is going to be much easier to come by and give you more to choose from. The bolt actions are pretty limited. Only Savage, and I think one or two other manufacturers, ever offered a .30-30 in a bolt action rifle. Someone who knows more about them will correct me if I'm wrong.
    edited November -1
    as far as I know only Remington in the 788 unless you count the stevens verison and a few store brand rifles
  • frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't beat them in the woods.
    edited November -1
    Need to add the savage pump to the list itis also very accurate was my first centerfire and foryears has put down many deer which reminds me that I need to dig it out of the safe and go shoot it. It has been ignored the last few yearswhich is a shame great little rifle
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    as far as I know only Remington in the 788 unless you count the stevens verison and a few store brand rifles

For some reason I was thinking Mossberg at some point, offered one too.
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30-30 isn't the best caliber for long range shooting but it will certainly do the job at close to medium range. The lever gun was popular with guys who rode horses because it was flat and rode well in a saddle scabbard.

The classic 30-30 is the Marlin or Winchester lever gun... like the 1956 Model 94 seen second from left...

standard.jpg

But the caliber has been offered in other action types, too. Here's a 30-30 you don't see too often:

standard.jpg

With its 16" barrel and 30" overall length this is the most compact center-fire rifle I own.
    edited November -1
    Dang Saxon you just put another got to have gun on my list i like that rolling block
  • toolsforfoolstoolsforfools Member Posts: 1,285 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do yourself A favor .Buy one with some age on it.I always like early 1900's.I actually hunt with A 32-40 1894 Winchester made in 1907.When I am hunting with it I always think of the history this gun has seen.IT IS DEAD ON WITH OPEN SIGHTS TO!!Let us know what you buy[:D]quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Marlin 336 with Marlin scope, and love it... But, I've been trolling for a deal steal on a .357 lever action rifle for a couple years now.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I had a Marlin 336 straight stock and now own Winchester 94.

Marlin is the better rifle of the two, but the Winchester sure is pretty and historically evocative.

I don't scope .30-30 class rifles, or battle rifles.

Doug
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I have 2 pre 64 Winnys, I carry 1 on each hip.

IMG_0460.jpg
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OhDeere1.jpg

Any Questions?

got guns?

I have a question. If you can catch that many deer in your front yard using snares, what do you need the rifle for.? [:D]
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.

Any Questions?

got guns?

I have a question. If you can catch that many deer in your front yard using snares, what do you need the rifle for.? [:D]
    For the photo op.