In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who owns a 30-30

Comments

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I just wondered if those were BLACK tails that you lynched ??

Doug
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    I've been thinking about getting one. who has one and are they as fun/popular as some people tell me they are. All posts will be much appreciated. thx reloader44mag.

Get one. IMO, a 30-30 lever action rifle is quite possibly the most practical rifle one can own. I have a Marlin 336CS, and my 39A aside, if I had to own but one rifle, the 336 would be the one. Great choice for a rifle to carry in your vehicle.[;)]
  • j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my choice,,,t.c.contender,14" barrel,loopy FX II 4X28 scope and 125 grain noslers,,,perfect for Pa's woodlands[:D][:D][:D]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses very helpful.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    iv got a marlin and winchester everyone should own at least one [:p][:D] also some of the new ammo from horndy will make it a little longer ranged deer gun
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you get one you should get a Winchester. I shoot pointed (spitzer) bullets through mine all the time, but you can only keep one in the tube and one in the chamber. I used to have a Savage bolt action 30-30 but it's just not the same as a 94 Winchester.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Hi Nurse Debbie, welcome to the forum. While it may sorta look like a Henry, it's a 1866 Winchester Commemorative rifle in 30-30. I have got a lot of gruff from collectors about shooting that gun, but I could care less, it'a a deer killing SOB!got guns?

I had one just like and sold it then dad gave me this one hes had snice him and mom first got married I kick myslef for letting the match get away from me .
    DSC01953.jpg
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pre-64 Win. here that's not for sale.[:D]
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    I have 2 pre 64 Winnys, I carry 1 on each hip.

IMG_0460.jpg

You hoarder, I only have one![:D]
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    I had one about 20 years ago. Yes, they are fun. And they're very useful on game up to mule deer size, at moderate ranges. I know of the stories about huge animals being killed with them. However, I'll stick by my first statement. Just to reiterate, they are FUN.
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Win. 94 in 30/30, and yes it is a fun shooter
    I don't use it for hunting, only because I hunt where
    longer shots are fairly common, and I have somthing better.
    But if I had the need for a truck gun, it would fit the
    bill quite well. Short and easy to handle and just fun
    to shoot. oops I already said that.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old winchester 94 in .30-30
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k_townman
    I had one about 20 years ago. Yes, they are fun. And they're very useful on game up to mule deer size, at moderate ranges. I know of the stories about huge animals being killed with them. However, I'll stick by my first statement. Just to reiterate, they are FUN.

Seems to me, if you can get close enough to kill a moose or elk with a compound bow, at the same range you ought to be able to kill one with a 30-30.
  • TrupoBPTTrupoBPT Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Edward K. Tryon single shot and it is fairly accurate at 150 yards which is just about the maximum. Ammo is so damn expensive though. I paid $45 for 40 rounds.[V]
  • bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, Marlin 336A, IIRC is was made in 1949. Fun shooter and hunter.
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad bought me a new 30-30 Winchester when I was born in 1955 ,I still have it . I would chose it over any other rifle I have as it is a good all around gun I have shot whitetails galore with it ,a few hogs too. I even barked a few squirrls with it for camp food. I hear the new ones got some kinda safety built in ,I looked here on GB and there are a few good old ones listed ,Get one .
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    quote:Originally posted by guns-n-painthorses
    OhDeere1.jpg

Any Questions?

got guns?

I have a question. If you can catch that many deer in your front yard using snares, what do you need the rifle for.? [:D]

Now that's funny![:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always wanted a 30-30 model 94. Just cause.
  • breakerdanbreakerdan Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-30 is pretty much a fix all within range. My dad
    has killed at least a pickup load of hogs with his and
    mine has whacked a few too. Great caliber and you can't beat a
    model 94!
  • big truckerbig trucker Member Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep Win.94 made in 1946
    My dad bought it in '67 when he came home from his first tour in Vietnam.Him,two of my uncles, my older brother, and I all killed our first deer with it.Always hunt a couple of days with it every season.
    [^]
  • proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    mod 94 nra cent, bought the year i was born and given to me at 18 by my dad. we had several robberies when i was growing up and lost pretty much all of his guns but this one, it was always stored seperately. its fired but otherwise 100%, aint worth a whole lot but to me, in 6 months ill give it to my son on his 18th. still got the original reciept too.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I think everyone should have at least one, great brush gun.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Marlin 336 and LOVE it.
    I think it was Guns and Ammo mag a couple of months ago that had this as one of their questions, "..what is historically the most popular deer rifle"?
    Answer was the Winchester model 94 lever in .30-30.
    I STILL like my Marlin[^]
  • edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first rifle was a Model 94, 30-30. Bot it in 1953. I have't used it since about 1960 but still have it. The rifle is over obsolete.
    With all the superior calibers and rifles available I don't know why anyone would carry one for hunting.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,038 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out here in gods country, it's a law, everyone has atleast one thuty-thuty.[:D][:D][:D]
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by edharold
    My first rifle was a Model 94, 30-30. Bot it in 1953. I have't used it since about 1960 but still have it. The rifle is over obsolete.
    With all the superior calibers and rifles available I don't know why anyone would carry one for hunting.

Because quite frankly, some folks will not attempt to use 'superior calibers and rifles' as a substitute for skill.

But you go ahead and keep thinking that a model 94 or 336 in 30-30 is obsolete.[:o)]
  • carrie2carrie2 Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]royspictures035.jpg
    Kentucky born and raised!
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    Sears, Ted Williams model 100 first high power rifle, shot 1st deer with it, will not part with it.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    I have a marlin side eject and a winchester. They are great guns. Fun to shoot and as everyone said great brush gun.
  • drygulchstandrygulchstan Member Posts: 321 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got to have the 30.30 but I like the 35 remington lever also
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think we dated the 94 I bought to 1965. I believe the Pre-64 are the more sought after ones (not an expert). I paid $150 for it. It has a really nice honest wear on the edges of the receiver. Someone hunted with it alot before I got it. Wonder what stories it would tell?

Don't think I would want a brandy new one. There's so many nice old ones out there.

Still need to try some of that revolution ammo. When shooting mine I found it to like Winchester Silver Tips. Tried some cowboy down loaded factory ammo that was way off the paper.

I got a ton of 30-30 brass that came with the gun along with probably 200 some handloaded rounds. Will pull all the handloaded stuff, re-use the heads and primed cases, and reload them myself.

The old timers at the shop were constantly bringing me 30-30 brass.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks people for all the comments...I will be on the look out for a decent priced one of either marlin 336 or winchester 94...I realize they are in different price ranges but thats ok ...thx again..reloader44mag.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Thanks people for all the comments...I will be on the look out for a decent priced one of either marlin 336 or winchester 94...I realize they are in different price ranges but thats ok ...thx again..reloader44mag.

Good move, and you will not be disappointed.
  • bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good morning from cold, wet, windy Wisconsin. Spring is coming thie year........I hope. Ih high school, I used my single shot 12 gauge on deer. Paper routes didn't pay much. My first deer rifle was a lever action, I believe in .35 Rem. Some years later, after trading if off for an older Rem. 721 in 30-06 I bought a Winchester 30-30 to use in brushy places. It was a 'Trapper' model. Neat little rifle, could carry it all day and hardly know it, a little louder when it went off I believe. It was just as accurate as a scope mounted 30-06 in woods and brushy areas.Then I found another one in a different caliber. One thing lead to another. Today I have a whole litter of those little Trappers in the safe, at least one, and a few more than one based on model, engraving, etc., in each caliber made. Some are hard to come by. Then I picked up a few commeratives in the Trapper model. There are a few I don't have yet but am still watching for them. At gun shows, it sometimes appears as though their owners can't wait to get rid of them. Take a look at a Trapper model and let us know what you think.

Regards, Bob
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Bought my first lever 30/30 last year and plan to deer hunt with it this year[:D]

Actually,my wife bought it for me[:o)]

Marlin 30AW
    IMG_3171.jpg
  • MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    2 - pre-64 94's - 1953 & 1958

The 1953 was my father's and it killed many deer.
    The 1958 I bought a few years ago because of its prestine condition - not sure if it has ever even been fired.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I have Marlin 336s in both 30-30 and 35 Remington, also a Winchester 94, and a H&R single shot in 30-30.

reloader44mag,

I would go with a Lever Action.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Haven't had one in years, but wouldn't mind picking one up for the right price. Mine was a Marlin 336, which is a better gun than the Winchester. Both are are handy, quick-pointing, and fun. I would NOT get a bolt gun in .30-30; what's the point? Lever guns are fun, which is why I also miss the little Puma I had in .44 mag, speaking of quick and fun.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have my 1967 Remington Model 788 in 30-30. I have taken a fair share of PA whitetail with it. It still shoots very accurately.
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by eboydell

Let me put it this way...I had two and sold both of them. The Model 94 is not very smooth and is only good to 100 yards!

That a fact? That doesn't speak well for your abilities, you know, being a sniper and all. An old fellow I hunt with uses a 94, in 30-30. Matter of fact, it's the only rifle he owns, smallbore aside. If it is within 250 yards, it is in the zone.

I do like the Marlin .44 mag and .444.

As do I.

The 30-30 sucks![V]

Yet more game has fallen to it than perhaps any other cartridge, save the .22. 'Sucks' huh? Heh, heh; good one.

I would venture a guess that it is neither the cartridge nor the rifle, but a case of O.E.