In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

True/Semi-Useless Facts

tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
PLEASE ADD TO THIS LIST, WHILE REMAINING LOYAL TO THE THEME......LETS SEE WHO COULD BE A HUMAN WAREHOUSE OF USELESS INFO. aDDITIONS SHOULD BE:
- TRUE (of course)
- PRETTY MUCH USELESS (no real chance of monetary gain by possessing this knowledge)
- SHOULD BE AS OBSCURE AS POSSIBLE (not to be confused with boring)

ok............here's the first:

Q- WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE FISRT SHIP TO REACH SURVIVORS OF THE TITANIC?

A- THE CARPATHIA

SO, WHOSE GOT SOME GOOD USELESS INFO?

Comments

• CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    80 years of research has revealed that a person should NOT take the first answer that comes to there head when they have a doubt on a multiple choice test. If there is doubt, listen to it and go with the second choice.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smelly feet are a potent weapon against a roommate you don't like.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Smelly feet are a potent weapon against a roommate you don't like.

#1. It's the exact same bacteria that makes Blue Cheese smell like stinky feet.
    #2. Rocker Ozzy Osbourne soaks himself w/buckets of water during concerts to hide the fact that he is incontenient and often pee's his pants onstage.
    #3. Young Japanese Sumo Wrestlers must serve an apprenticeship under an older established Sumo wrestler master. During which time, one of their duties is to wipe their obese masters * after he takes a crap. Distain for this distastefull duty is believed to a major factor in the decline of modern day Sumo wrestler wannabe's.
    #4. Singer John Denver was decapitated in the plane crash that ended his life. His head was never found.
    #5. Ronnie Van Zant was a local Jacksonville Fla. bully who became the singer/leader of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Band simply by walking into the practice session of an already established band and announcing "I'm your new singer".
    Band members were too afraid of him to object. Van Zant ruled the band w/an iron fist, regularly beating up members who didn't pay their instruments to his satisfaction. Which caused some turnover in personel as some early members quit rather than submit to his beatings.
    The only Lynyrd Skynyrd band member to not receive a beating from Van Zant was latecomer Steve Gaines.
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All domestic dogs, regardless of breed, belong to one species.

A man's third (ring) finger is almost invariably longer than his index finger. Not so with women.

It it possible to turn a .22 bullet 180' if you shoot towards two pieces of concrete pipe standing on end close together.
    edited November -1
    This is one I recently heard on the radio and verified w/wife.
    Young girls (or women) who have long hair sometimes end up ingesting strands of hair that pass thru their digestive system and sometimes must be removed from their * manually. The hair strands pass partially out the *, get stuck part in/part out, and tickle their butt.
    Happens most often w/girls who chew on their hair.
    Just one of many things women go thru that they don't tell men about.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    all human dna can be traced back to a specific area in africa following a certain path. we really do come from one set of humans.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Epson is a contraction of "Son of Electronic Printer"

MOST OBSCURE !!

I WIN !!

Doug

Siemens GMbh introduced low cost ink jet printing to America, but was blown out of the water within three years by the HP ThinkJet at half the price.

I once sold a TRS-80 to Bill Gates.

I once loaned * the boob money, which was never repaid.

The MOPAR 426 Max Wedge had the highest compression ratio ever used in a mass produced street engine - 13.5:1.

The GyroJet pistol was far more accurate than ever published, and is still used by some Special Operations units to perform specific missions.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pouring gas on a piece of styrofoam will produce trace amounts of cyanide gas.

Take 2 test tubes, fill one with bleach and stopper tightly! Was hands and test tube. Fill second tube with amonia and stopper tightly. Wash hands and tube again. Tape 2 tubes together, and you now have a chemical bomb more than capable of killing youself. JUST DON'T EVEN TRY, PLEASE???

You can make smoke bombs from sugar.

Make ULTRA loud firecrackers using brass casings. Take a rifle casing, drill a hole throught the (fired) primer. Insert fire cracker fuse and bend. Fill casing 1/3 with shotgun powder, fill with toilet paper and compress powder and paper in a vice using a small metal rod and viola you have a firecracker that is loud as a 7mag! Put those neighborhood kids to shame! You might note that anything that sounds like a gun can lead to the police being called.

All modern day race horses can be traced back to 1 of the orginal 6 horse from the sports early years.

You canNOT make C4 from componets found at your local hardware store, however, you can make NAPALM. For whatever reason...

Pink feet don't stink. So I have been told.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    pouring gas on a piece of styrofoam will produce trace amounts of cyanide gas.

Take 2 test tubes, fill one with bleach and stopper tightly! Was hands and test tube. Fill second tube with amonia and stopper tightly. Wash hands and tube again. Tape 2 tubes together, and you now have a chemical bomb more than capable of killing youself. JUST DON'T EVEN TRY, PLEASE???

thats clorine gass, the same gas the germans used in the death camps
    many people have killed themselves accidently by mixing these products while house cleaning
    edited November -1
    The Germans used carbon monoxide to begin with (from vehicle exhaust) and in the mass execution "showers" used Zyklon-B.

Not Chlorine.

They did use Chlorine as a war gas in WWI.

Doug
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no body never knew it but I always regreted not paying Doug back for the boob money.

the U.S. government made a .30 caliber automatic conversion kit for the 1903 sprinfield rifle in 1918. it was called the Pedersen, and it was made by Remington. it fired a lengthened case .32ACP cartridge.

what most folks dont know is some Pedersens where also made for the french Fusil 07/15 and russian M-91 mosin nagant.
    edited November -1
    Someone had Zyklon-B containers for sale on GB here while back. I rememebr thinking, would one burn in hell for wanting to own that? God bless the fool who feels they need to own an empty container of something so sinister...
    edited November -1
    I think it would be a good indicator of a psychologically disturbed person.

I would not want to know that person.

Doug
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Ford Cortina, marketed in England used the same engine as the Pinto and came standard with headers.

Useless enough for you?
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In baseball if you foul a pitch straight back (like a high fastball you can't quite get on top of) sometimes you can actually smell a burning smell that came from the friction of the just nicked bat and ball.....it's true[:D]
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Guinness is nutritionally complete except for vitamin C and calcium

47 pints a day will give you all dietary requirements
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The TASER was created by Jack Cover, former head scientist for the Apollo Moon Landing program. The name was based on a favorite children's story- Tom Swift and his Electric Rifle.
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    The first item to be bar coded was Wrigley's chewing gum.
  • redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you hit a cat between the eyes with a hammer he'll blink almost every time.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loser who siphoned gas in the 30's were called Hosers by canadians
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • dave40glockdave40glock Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AL CAPONES BUSINESS CARD SAID HE WAS A USED FURNITURE DEALER
  • tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EXCELLENT POSTS!!!!! SOME TRULY IMPRESSIVE(and still for all intensive purposes-USELESS) INFORMATION. CARRY ON LADS, BUT PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE IT ABOUT CORRECTING OTHERS ENTRIES. POST WHAT YOU HONESTLY BELEIVE TO BE TRUE, AND IF IT HAPPENS THAT NOW AND AGAIN ONE DOESN'T TURN OUT TO BE, SO WHAT!!! IT'S JUST ABOUT FUN AND A SMALL DEVIATION FROM ALL THE NASTY SERIOUS CRAP WE ARE OTHERWISE FORCED TO DEAL WITH. SO, ON THAT NOTE, HERE WE GO AGAIN:

btw.....I PARTICULARLY ENJOYED A FEW, I.E.

- FATSTRAT (1-5) NICE!

- FATSTRAT..LONG HAIR ! just happened with my dog & some string....good thing we must p/u crap in my neighborhood because I had plastic bag with me & had to assist with the process as a disgusting version of "soap on a rope" occurred and he (my dog-REALLY!) seemed to look at me for some help and I obliged...much to the amusement of a couple of my neighbors.....yeah, a bit humbling to say the least.....tough to look cool as you are extracting naughty-bits from a 110 lb Rottweiler's *!

MOGLEY- IS THAT WHERE "HOSER" I.E BOB & DOUG MCKENZIE ORIGINATED? nICE

JUST GREAT STUFF IN GENERAL................OK, BACK TO IT:

A GOOD BIRD IS A PELICAN, HIS BEAK CAN HOLD MORE THAN HIS BELLY CAN!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Male seahorses give birth.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    A surfaced submarine with rudder hard over will lean opposite the direction of the turn.

A submerged submarine with rudder hard over will lean into the direction of the turn.

Best, Joe

..do I qualify for the prize?
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NFL cheerleaders don't jiggle out of their uniforms because of a chemical treatment applied to their skin and the inside of the garment.

It's called hairspray.
    edited November -1
    If you watch the BLACK & WHITE opening of Gilligan's island, where the SS Minnow is setting forth on it's "3 hour cruise", in the background, you can see a flagpole, with the US flag being flown at half mast.

The opening was filmed just a few days after John Kennedy was killed, the lowered flag captured on film by chance.
    edited November -1
    the maximum weight of a golf ball is 1.62oz,and there are 336 dimples on a golf ball. now thats useless
    edited November -1
    the skipper real name on the show was jonas grumby it was said on the very 1st show on the radio broadcast about the wreck
    edited November -1
    And the Professor's name was Roy Hinkley.
    edited November -1
    Pvt.Wesley Culp of the Army of Virginia was killed during the battle of Gettysburg on Culps Hill. On his own family property.
    edited November -1
    The surrender at Appomatox Courthouse was signed in the parlor of the McLean family home. They had moved to Appomatox to get away from the war- which had started on their farm in Manasass VA.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All tabby cats are females.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redfishbob
    If you hit a cat between the eyes with a hammer he'll blink almost every time.

And if you twist his tail hard enought he will eat peanut butter, as well as anything else you put in front of him.

A hockey puck is exactly 3 inches across, 1 inch thick and weighs 6 ounces. It is also required to be frozen before it can be used in a regualtion NHL game.

The surface of the ice is maintained at 17 degrees during game play.

A home team can be given a forfeit if the song 3 blind mice is played at any point from the time the game begins until the game is offically ended.

Up until 1995 the helment was actually the only optional piece of equipment in NHL.
  • crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    Apparently Sex is the leading cause of pregnacy in the US.....

This fact is often discovered my males after they are shown the "piddle stick"

This particular male found this out yesterday morning...

[:D] At least this time it wasn't due to "pity sex"
    edited November -1
    If you are happy...I'm happy for you.

Congratulations !!!

Doug
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    Guinness is nutritionally complete except for vitamin C and calcium

47 pints a day will give you all dietary requirements

I am good. Ate an orange for breakfast....the rest of the day is a haze.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    Nine out of ten men who have tried Camels...prefer women.
  • aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    You can't touch your elbow with your tongue.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aramisvi
    You can't touch your elbow with your tongue.

No, you mean YOU can't touch your elbow with your tongue! Deer fear me. Women want me. Heaven won't have me and hell's afraid of me.