In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

True/Semi-Useless Facts

Comments

• D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    The average person has about 10,000 taste buds and they're replaced every 2 weeks or so. But as a person ages, some of those taste cells don't get replaced. An older person may only have 5,000 working taste buds. That's why certain foods may taste stronger to young'uns than they do to adults. Smoking also can reduce the number of taste buds a person has.
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    The NY phone book had 22 Hitlers before WWII. The NY phone book had 0 Hitlers after WWII.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Music artist "Steely Dan" took their name from a dildo in the Novel "The Naked Lunch" by William Burroughs.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    The last shot to be fired in the Civil War was fired off the coast of Alaska.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    The nursery rhyme "Ring Around O' Rosie" is about the Black Death.
  • upjumtddeblupjumtddebl Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shelbina,Missouri is the only town in the United States named so (that's all I got)
  • dare2bebolddare2bebold Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ADAM ANT WAS RICHARD DAWSONS BROTHER. WOW I MUST BE BORED THIS MORNING, GLAD THERE ARE OTHERS JUST AS BORED. OK BRING MORE USELESS CRAP ON GRRRRRRRRR
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know of a town by the name of crab orchard, which it kinda funny if you think about it.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The secret recipie for Coca-Cola is called "7X".
    edited November -1
    Albert Einstein failed his primary school entrance examination.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    this one might be considered useful
    dogs and bees smell fear...as said by the cute little kid in some movie
    truth is we have a flight or fright response built into our instinctual reactions those two aspects cannot be distinguished by a dog because they are chemically the same.
    we produce feremones that dogs can smell. Dogs also use visual cues and can interpret them quickly (not sure about bee's)
    the dog doesn't bite you (or run from you) because he detects fear he believes you are about to fight/attack and he is only engaging in his own fight or flight instinct.

Its like detente gone wrong
    edited November -1
    Kangaroos have 3 vaginas.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    The code name for the government program to influence the populace by using various means of subliminal suggestion is called "Operation Maze"
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    You can pinch your elbow, but it won't hurt you.
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    quote:Originally posted by aramisvi
    You can't touch your elbow with your tongue.

No, you mean YOU can't touch your elbow with your tongue! Deer fear me. Women want me. Heaven won't have me and hell's afraid of me.

my nephew (age 5) can touch his elbow with his tongue, he's got a Gene Simmons.

Also, I'd imagine it would be fairly easy for people afflicted with the short limb birth defects.
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp
  • Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rifle on the Seabee combat warfare insignia is a 1903. That's because the 1903 was issued to seabees in ww2.

In the movie Dr Strangelove the pilot says of the survival kit: "Shoot! A guy could have a great time in Las Vegas with all this" This was dubbed in as it originally said Dallas, but Kennedy had just been shot.
    When Slim Pickens showed up in England for the movie dressed in western garb the production crew thought he was a terrific charactor actor who remained in charactor off camera. They didn't know he was just playing himself.

The number one main engine propeller shaft of the USS Enterprise is over five hundred feet long, the longest shaft made. At max torque the shaft is twisted 1 1/2 times(at least thats what e told people).

Costa Rica declared war against Japan after Pearl Harbor before the US.

Lebow, the French soldier in "Hogan's Heros" was a concentration camp Survivor. Sgt Schultz was played by a jewish refuge.
    edited November -1

Why? Do male kangaroos have 3 Mr. Happys?

Or are the female kangaroos VERY sociable?[:o)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bhale187

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp

And we all know anything that Snopes sez is true...[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf

I don't know why...they just do...[:0]

They have only one opening, but then, it diverges into three separate canals, only to join at the uterus.

Must be very confusing to the kangaroo sperm.[:D]
    edited November -1

I don't know why...

They have only one opening, but then, it diverges into three separate canals, only to join at the uterus.

Ah, OK. Only one *, so kangaroo sex must be like "is it door #1, #2, or #3"[:D]
    edited November -1

I don't know why...

Yeah, sort of like "Let's Make a Deal"...[:D]
    edited November -1

I don't know why...

i'd hate to be a kangaroo, i have enough trouble finding the g spot in one.[:D]

You ever seen that "ASK" search engine comercial with the family in the RV. The woman asks her husband whats the difference between brown eggs and other eggs. Then says they dont have yokes?

Well thats not true, brown eggs have yokes but can be yokeless. white shelled eggs can be yokeless from time to time also, but both are realitively rare. free range eggs vary in size also, but they all taste the same.

And from my youth I remember that when I wouldnt make a clean connect on head shots on squirrels they would almost always start running around in lop sided circles, i have never figured out why that is.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Pekin IL HS used to be the Fighting Chinks..... Got changed in the 80's I think
  • dave40glockdave40glock Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the cigarette lighter was invented before the match was invented
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd. Don
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    White sugar comes from at least two different sources, sugar cane, and sugar beets. After processing, not even a chemist can determine which raw product was used. The end results are chemically IDENTICAL![:0][;)]
    Now I'm SURE that info. has to be useless![:D]
  • TrupoBPTTrupoBPT Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The song (What's the Story) Morning Glory by Oasis was the hit song of 1995.
    edited November -1
    Water is the only substance found on earth in all 3 forms of matter, liquid, vapor, and solid.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Water is the only substance found on earth in all 3 forms of matter, liquid, vapor, and solid.

after a long night of mexican food and cheap beer...... I will argue that [;)][:o)][:D]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial

Have to question that. Memorial dedicated 1922, when there were 48 states in the Union.
  • dave40glockdave40glock Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wilma flintstone's maiden name was wilma slaghoopal.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik

I don't know why...

You ever seen that "ASK" search engine comercial with the family in the RV. The woman asks her husband whats the difference between brown eggs and other eggs. Then says they dont have yokes?

Well thats not true, brown eggs have yokes but can be yokeless. white shelled eggs can be yokeless from time to time also, but both are realitively rare. free range eggs vary in size also, but they all taste the same.

And from my youth I remember that when I wouldnt make a clean connect on head shots on squirrels they would almost always start running around in lop sided circles, i have never figured out why that is.

you've had trouble finding the * in a kangaroo????

IDONTWANTTOKNOW IDONTWANTTOKNOW IDONTWANTTOKNOW
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gerald Ford was the only president not elected to that office or the office of vice president.He only became president after Nixon and Agnew resigned.[:D]
  • tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In "The Doors" movie that starred Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison, the leading lady part of Jims love interest (first girlfriend and later wife) Pam, was played by Meg Ryan, who won the part in what was said to be a very close competition with Heather Graham (of Rollergirl and Felicity Shagwell fame).
  • kayzapkayzap Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The famous theme from the Radio, T.V. show and movie "Dragnet." featuring Jack Webb is...

Danger Ahead. Dum De Dum Dum.

In the T.V. SHow Sgt. Friday lived in Sliverlake and Bill Cannon lived in Eagle Rock.

At the time the show was filmed L.A.P.D. and L.A.F.D. officers had to live in L.A. City and thats where most of the Policemen and Firemen lived.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    The bottom of my boat is dry.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik

I don't know why...

you've had trouble finding the * in a kangaroo????

IDONTWANTTOKNOW IDONTWANTTOKNOW IDONTWANTTOKNOW

it's not what it looks like, I swear!
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dr. Pepper was created by a pharmacist- whose last name was....Pepper.