In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What Are You Using As Your Bedside Gun...

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
I used to use one of my nice pre '64 Winchester Model 12, 12 Ga. Pumps to lean against the wall at my bedpost in case of intruders in the house at night. But I got to thinking about it and if I needed to use it to fend for our lives the government is going to confiscate it and there's no POS thug out there that's worth the price of a nice pre 64 Winchester of any model. I now use a Winchester Model 1200 Riot 12 Ga Pump for those duties. I also have my S&W 340PD .357 Mag snubby on my nightstand just in case. Hopely it'll never be needed.  

The model 1200 Riot 12 Ga Pump Shotgun is not as good quality as the Model 12 but they are a dependable gun. I used a regular 1200 with a 28" modified choke barrel  for many years hunting when I was a youngster in 1965, '66  and '67. Since they quit making the Model 12 in '64 I couldn't get one and I had to settle for a 1200, but that's another story for another time.  My 1200 never broke down and it shot very well even with those cheapass stamp metal parts they were using instead of machined parts like the Model 12 has. Anyway that still hacks me off to this day. 

This Winchester Model 1200 Riot 12 Ga. Pump shotgun that I have leaning against the wall at my bedpost was purchased from Gulf States Distributors in Montgomery, AL for $125 bucks back in 1999. It used to be a police gun. It had spent many years riding around in a police cruiser riding standing up in a rack between the seats or at the dash and it had some pretty big numbers stenciled in white paint on the butt stock on each side for identy. First thing I did was get some fine 0000 brass wool and a little acetone and started very carefully removing those number. It took a couple of hours carefully rubbing the paint but they came off without leaving hardly any damage to the original finish. It's got a few scratches on the metal but nothing very bad. 

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Clipped to the bed frames by special mount are shotguns

Makaila has a browning A5 coast guard gauge semiautomatic tactical home defense - zombie apocalypse shotgtun with a vintage poly choke attachment on the from of the gun.

The gun has now been pistol gripped and and the barrel has been shortened to 17" OAL compliant with state and Federal law -

An oversized indestructible steel universal combat sight set sits on a steel .rail bad. Currently a green dot optic has been installed

An ace trigger shoe has been added?

A heavy duty short leather sling has been added (quick release sling swivel estucions exists from and rear) each sling mounts 4 full length shells copper plated buck and ball

The tube is full of Aquila mini shells - and an 850 lumin tactical light has been added

My go to sleep gun and Mackenzie's will be added shortly.

Mike

• Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

Sig P365xl and a Glock 33

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,465 ✭✭✭✭

Remington 1100 youth 20 ga nice and compact and Smith model 15

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭
      why a  cell phone to call 911 and then hide under the bed until help  arrives . of course is my first line of defense  :o;)
     back up plan a  REM 870 12GA  factory folding stock  extended mag tube and 20" barrel surefire light mounted in forearm . )) and  00 1st couple rounds then rest is # 4 shot ,  also a xds 45 ACP  with a green laser / light combo    loaded with 185 hp's   along with a 5.56 pistol  configured AR  close by  just in case the zombies attack ,   oh a about a 80 to 90  pound shelter  rescue  shepard lab mix best we can tell we picked up about 3 years ago  sleeps in the room  and  keeps watch . doubt if she would hurt anyone but she will bark .
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,390 ******
    A High Standard Double 9 and a very hard ash wood baseball bat.   I just hate doing dry wall repairs!
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    first alert system. 2 German Shepherds and a ruger LC9s
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭
    Glock 23 and a Benelli M2. 
    21" barrel on the M2 with an 8 round mag tube = 81 .32 caliber balls @1450 fps just as fast a you can pull the trigger.
    Ouch! 

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭
    Glock 23 and a Benelli M2. 
    21" barrel on the M2 with an 8 round mag tube = 81 .32 caliber balls @1450 fps just as fast as you can pull the trigger.
    Ouch! 

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Rape whistle
    RLTW

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2020
    I have two nightstands, one holds a S&W 37 and a the other a S&W 9mm Shield. If push comes to shove, there's a 12 gauge Mossberg Shockwave in a dresser drawer.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

S&W 642 Airweight .38spcl. In an ankle holster mounted by my head on the bedpost. A short (19" barrel) Iver Johnson Champion in 12 ga. Recently added the Western Field (Mossberg 500) 20ga. Pump. (Since it was only $150 plus shipping & Transfer.)

Oh,.................and my Buddy - The Wonder Pit.

Sam - I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read the "Rape Whistle," comment. LMFAO.

• Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    I keep a Remington TAC 14 next to the bed.  There's always the pistol of the day on the nightstand.
    My first priority is my glasses.  
    Then a firearm.
    Then a cell Phone.

I sleep in sweat pants.

I learned all of this, early one morning, when someone trying to break into our car, woke me at 2AM.   I rushed outside in my drawers, sans glasses, and armed only with what God gave me at birth.

Nothing frightens a burglar more than than an old man in his underwear, standing in the front yard cursing at him.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭

I have 2,, a model 1200 loaded with #4 and a S&W model 14 38 special in the bedside table

• Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    Mossberg 590 with #4 shot.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Dull butter knife with the dangerous slightly pointed end rounded off further and my HAND gun with index finger barrel Phew Phew! I have no more dangerous stinking guns in my house since the trip up the lake
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    edited January 2020

At least do it right.

It's Pew, Pew, Pew. (Sigh.)

Next thing you know, you will be referring to those magazine loading thingee's as "Clips."

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Oak cut down shovel handle and the rest is classified.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    A Charter Arms .357 (4") in the nite-stand , A mossberg 12 ga. (20") in the closet : 
    and : 
    Of Course My 2 Labs & an Attack Cat :smile:

On another note : I Have a Winchester 1200 (20 ga.) that Pops bought me when I was apx. 13 : I worked for Winchester in the early 80s as a "gunnery tech." and they all hated the 1200 ???

Thanks !!!

The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    Ruger LC9S with green laser in the top drawer of the nightstand, an old Stevens 20 ga pump with pistol grip (legal length) loaded with heavy load #4s in the corner, Ruger LCPII (EDC) on top of the nightstand. On wife's side, S&W Model 60 2" 38spl. That's just in the bedroom, nearly every other room has a firearm hidden, but close at hand.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    I have a baseball bat. I don't believe in guns.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I forgot my Bamboo Katana from Japan (roughly 1946 from Dad.) [Chrysanthimum hand guard.] I could put a Serious hurting on someone with it.

• Options

This is cured hardened Bamboo, with a slight edge in the front curved edge. While you are fighting off Buddy, the Wonder Pit - I'd be beating the sheeit out of you.

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    DBMJR1 said:
    Nothing frightens a burglar more than than an old man in his underwear, standing in the front yard cursing at him.

That scares me and I wasn't even there. That do paint a picture.  :open_mouth:  :)
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    FNP-45, de-cocked and un-locked.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    870 youth 20 gauge with 6-1 0z #6 shot....
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭
    Two Glock 19's with Surefire lights....Ruger PC9 which uses the same magazine as the G19's....also with a Surefire light...
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭
    Shotgun:  Ithaca 37  12 GA  Riot, from Detriot  PD.  Pistol:  Sig  220 in  45.

Of course first the have to get over  the  5 ft fence, deal with the  dogs.  And  motion sensor  lights and alarm. And then the House set up.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭✭

If you make it past Bella, a lab / malamute cross then a ruger security six in 357 mag awaits you in the bedroom . Other worthy contenders are a s& w shield 45

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    I dug a mote and put this in. Seems to deter criminal behavior

3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    A 10mm. Most of the time it is my off-work CCW which is a G29. Regardless, always a 10mm.. Also, my Kel-Tec P3AT .380 that I carry every workday.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

I got had that in .45 Only issue was no high cap mags made for mine
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    If I have to go out in the dark I flip on the light/laser.  It handles well inside the house as well as outside, as you know.
    I like to keep most everything 9mm.  Cheaper.  I also have a Sub 2000 for my truck.  Different thread?

I think these little carbines are under-rated.  Don't you?
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a 9mm and it was fun to shoot but the trigger sucked, It got sold.  I still have the Sub 2K
    RLTW

• Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    Kimber Pro Carry II and a shorty 870. Same formula that I've ran for the past several years.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I keep  a .38 and an Ithaca pump gun.
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    G19x
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

Remington Rand 1911a1.

• Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭

The wife and I both have SD9VE's on our nightstands. Her SD9 has big dot night sights and a Glock light/laser combo and mine has Meprolight night sights and a Glock light.

We also have a Remington 870 20 gauge with ghost ring night sights leaning against the wall.

Jon