In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What Are You Using As Your Bedside Gun...

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭
I used to use one of my nice pre '64 Winchester Model 12, 12 Ga. Pumps to lean against the wall at my bedpost in case of intruders in the house at night. But I got to thinking about it and if I needed to use it to fend for our lives the government is going to confiscate it and there's no POS thug out there that's worth the price of a nice pre 64 Winchester of any model. I now use a Winchester Model 1200 Riot 12 Ga Pump for those duties. I also have my S&W 340PD .357 Mag snubby on my nightstand just in case. Hopely it'll never be needed.  

The model 1200 Riot 12 Ga Pump Shotgun is not as good quality as the Model 12 but they are a dependable gun. I used a regular 1200 with a 28" modified choke barrel  for many years hunting when I was a youngster in 1965, '66  and '67. Since they quit making the Model 12 in '64 I couldn't get one and I had to settle for a 1200, but that's another story for another time.  My 1200 never broke down and it shot very well even with those cheapass stamp metal parts they were using instead of machined parts like the Model 12 has. Anyway that still hacks me off to this day. 

This Winchester Model 1200 Riot 12 Ga. Pump shotgun that I have leaning against the wall at my bedpost was purchased from Gulf States Distributors in Montgomery, AL for $125 bucks back in 1999. It used to be a police gun. It had spent many years riding around in a police cruiser riding standing up in a rack between the seats or at the dash and it had some pretty big numbers stenciled in white paint on the butt stock on each side for identy. First thing I did was get some fine 0000 brass wool and a little acetone and started very carefully removing those number. It took a couple of hours carefully rubbing the paint but they came off without leaving hardly any damage to the original finish. It's got a few scratches on the metal but nothing very bad. 

Comments