Trolling motor question

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in The Fishing Hole!
I am going to buy a new Crestliner 14 foot wide jon boat, and I am wondering about a trolling motor. Thinking of getting a Minn Kota that is a 24 volt with 80 pounds of thrust. Is that too much...not enough...just right? I don't really know. Some of the smaller lakes require electric motors only. That's why i'm thinking of something bigger, but I don't really know...just guessing. Any advice one way or the other would be appreciated. Oh ya. There will be 3 people in the boat most times, my 11 year old daughter, my wife, and myself. Probnably between 4 and 500 pounds in all with equipment and everything. if that info helps any. Thanks again.
Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is this motor strong enough for a 14' Jon boat?

qzjHS8c.jpg
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello RugerNiner - I have an aluminum john boat and a similar trolling motor. The thing I would say is it depends on where you plan to use it. If I am easing around in the "Okie" swamp north of me - going for blue-gills and flyers - then the answer is yes as there is essentially no current to work against and I am moving slowly. If I am in the Suwannee River - going after shell-crackers and red-breasted bream and the occasional "pout" (a type of catfish) the answer would be no. There the current would be a bit much for the trolling motor to work against - except now as we are in the season where the rainfall is sparse and the river is low and the current reduced.
    Catch a few for me!!! Best Regards - AQH
    Edit - if you go to www.lakecityreporter.com for December 8th - 2016 and look at the front page "A Dry Run"- you can see pictures of the Suwannee River at very low water right now.
  • GmartGmart Member Posts: 1
    80 Lb would work fine, heck you don't have to run it wide open! The only thing is the weight of the battery set-up in the boat. I assume you will have to run 2 12v batteries?