In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Assault Weapons BAN

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
This is how it might read..?????

1. No NEW assault weapons made or imported for the general population.
2. All assult weapons that are out there have to be registered to the owner.
3. All high cap magazines are immediatly illegal.
4. Any one with 2 or more misdemeanors will not be allowed to own a gun.
5. concealed carry permits will cease. and possibly expire the existing??

///?????

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    6. Free hats

Ben
  • Options
    Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CCW laws are State by State, not Federal laws. I don't know if the Federal government can override these laws. The rest are at least possible.
  • Options
    NeilTheBritNeilTheBrit Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dak To 68
    The CCW laws are State by State, not Federal laws. I don't know if the Federal government can override these laws. The rest are at least possible.

If they can ignore the Constutution, State laws mean nothing.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    This is how it might read..?????

1. No NEW assault weapons made or imported for the general population.
    2. All assult weapons that are out there have to be registered to the owner.
    3. All high cap magazines are immediatly illegal.
    4. Any one with 2 or more misdemeanors will not be allowed to own a gun.
    5. concieled carry permits will cease. and possibly expire the exhisting??

///?????

6. enforce spell check laws[:D]
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    7. Would you like to Biggie Size that?
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    quote:No NEW assault weapons made or imported for the general population.
    There's already an import ban - courtesy of the GOP and George HW Bush.

New? Where have you been? It's an accomplished fact.[:(!]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Imports into this country are under the Federal laws, not state. In order for there to be a statewide ban on guns the Federal gubment would have to nulify most states constitutions.. Which aint gonna happen
  • Options
    lynx_strifelynx_strife Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am curious why do you need a assault weapon and a Hi-Cap mags. And I am a gun owner and as nice/cool it would be to own a full auto I just dont see the point in owning one.
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    It is not a matter of needing one. Why shouldn't I be able to own one? I am a law abiding citizen. I have no desire to break the law. I have many hi-cap mags, why shouldn't I? My firearms were designed to use hi-caps, so why shouldn't I have the same excellent equipment as the police? Am I to think that I am inferior? That while I'm deployed to Iraq I can be trusted with fully automatic weapons, but while stateside I'm suddenly no longer trustworthy? Just because you don't have the desire to own one doesn't mean that others that do want to possess them should be prevented from doing so. Just because I don't see the need to own a corvette, doesn't mean you should be prevented from owning one... Kapeesh?
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe a weapon would have to proved guilty by a jury of it's peers before it could be classified as a "assault weapon" and as to what degree of offense should be taken into consideration before it's sent up the river.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Most of the laws put into effect hurt the owners who follow the rules. If go threw the work to get a permit I do not intend to lose it. Someone who does not play by the rules they should be the ones we make legislation for not everyone else.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "That while I'm deployed to Iraq I can be trusted with fully automatic weapons, but while stateside I'm suddenly no longer trustworthy?"

Its not a matter of being trustworthy. To me its about purpose, on a battlefield you need to have the "bigger gun". But stateside do you need to have something with that kind of power?

"Kapeesh?"
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lynx_strife
    "That while I'm deployed to Iraq I can be trusted with fully automatic weapons, but while stateside I'm suddenly no longer trustworthy?"

Its not a matter of being trustworthy. To me its about purpose, on a battlefield you need to have the "bigger gun". But stateside do you need to have something with that kind of power?

"Kapeesh?"
    And you can guarantee that as a long term permanent condition based on what all seeing crystal ball that you own?
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    lynx_strife
    quote:Its not a matter of being trustworthy. To me its about purpose, on a battlefield you need to have the "bigger gun". But stateside do you need to have something with that kind of power?

"Kapeesh?"

...IF I want to YES!

...and as PB said, it's not a matter of "need" dude, KAPEESH??

What's your definition of "BIG"? "FIREPOWER"? "PURPOSE"?
    I can tell by your post, it AIN'T the same as mine, nor your understanding of the whole Constitution, much less the 2nd...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:But stateside do you need to have something with that kind of power?

it's not about need, life is not about need, it is about want and the freedom that we have to want. People do not NEED things like cars that drive faster than 80, motorhomes, houses over 1000 sq ft or to eat more than 700 calories per day. But I WANT to have a Bently GT that goes 180MPH, a motorhome so I don't have to sleep on the ground when I go camping, a 4000 sq ft home so I can streach out and a 32 OZ prime rib that has 5000 calories. I don't NEED them but I have the freedome to WANT them. Same thing goes for guns, you do not NEED anything more than a single shot, but I WANT a minigun so I can burn 3000 rds per min
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only reason one would NEED a fully automatic weapon is to fight off an out of control government that is trying to force horribly dastardly deeds on the citizenry, which, for many reasons, I don't foresee happening. Other than that, they would be for the enjoyment of the owners. It is not against the law to own or operate fully automatic weapons. If someone feels that the threat from the government is probable, or imminent, and they feel that protecting themselves from this threat is of prime importance, I suggest they devote their efforts and resources to acquire one. A lot of people own and shoot them for enjoyment
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1

"Kapeesh?"

Lynx, I think you are missing the point.

This is an AR15 .223 semi-auto (same basic rifle as what our troops use in Iraq). This is availible to any person 18yrs old legal to own a gun. It shoots a round as fast as you can pull the trigger.

13231.jpg

THIS is a Remington 7400 30-06 (one of the more common rifles used to hunt with). This rifle is almost 3 times as "powerful" as the AR15. This is availible to any person 18yrs old legal to own a gun. It shoots a round as fast as you can pull the trigger.

99757.jpg

So when you say "do you need to have something with that kind of power?" , do you really mean, "do you need something that looks so scary to the sheeple?". Because when you sit back and look at it, your argument on "power" really doesn't hold water. "kapeesh?"[:D] You see banning the "assult rifles" is just the dems easy/first excuse because they "look" scary. There is really no logic to their reasoning. Where do you stop?

Ben
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why should anyone own more than three guns?

There should be ban on owning more than three guns.

Typically, sportsmen & women own a shotgun, rifle and a 22.

There is no real reason why someone should own an arsenal of firearms that could easily be misused or stolen.

A simple limitation of the number of firearms owned by an individual would not affect the sacred right to keep and bears arms and will greatly reduce accidental shootings and other gun violence.

If someone has a real need for more than three firearms ther could be a special license for that and they could be stored by the local police for the public's safety.

Also, handguns should be highly regulated since most sportsmen and women are not hanguuners and those who buy them do so out of fear and intend on shooting another human in some sort of unknown future confrontation.

Why should anyone own an assault rifle or high cap mags?[:o)]
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    lynx_strife - when questioning "need" of a evil looking weapon, read the 2nd amendment completely, remember that The People are you and me, and then read up on the Battle of Athens, Tenn.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am curious why do you need a assault weapon and a Hi-Cap mags. And I am a gun owner and as nice/cool it would be to own a full auto I just dont see the point in owning one.

You must not watch the News or read History Books... or else you would know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with jbw1776. LOTS of mundane appearing firearms are far more potent than the 5.56 & 7.62x39 assault rifles the anti gunners always use as an example. If you HAD to be shot, which would you choose to be hit with, an M16/AK47, or a Savage 110 in .300 Win. Mag.? Shows how up on their subject these women and girly men are.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:This is an AR15 .223 semi-auto (same basic rifle as what our troops use in Iraq). This is availible to any person 18yrs old legal to own a gun. It shoots a round as fast as you can pull the trigger.

That AR15 in the photo should be banned immediately!!! That bayonet lug on the barrel alone could kill a dozen people on acitty street just by looking at it for more than a second.

Also, that Remington semi-auto rifle needs to be banned. Any criminal, terrorist, or white racist could easily attach a bayonet lug and a hi-cap magazine and sweep the streets with it.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lynx....... As mentioned, you are really missing the point.

The anti-gun crowds mission is to completely disarm the civilian population. They start with the "evil looking" assault weapons because people like you go along with it by saying, gee, I really dont need high-cap mags and an assault weapon.

Once they have banned the AW's they go after semi-auto hunting rifles like the Remington jbw1776 posted a pic of because, geeez we dont need semi's to hunt, we can use a bolt action.

Next they go after handguns because they are concealable and are favored by criminals............ get the picture. if they can somehow justify chipping away slowly at your right to keep and bear arms, "THEY ABSOLUTELY WILL".

Eventually, they will come after whatever guns you have. Now that the Dems have seized power again, stand by for another wave of legislation to chip away at the 2nd amendment.

img0411.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Canadian Gun Ban and National registration begain with gun
    owners and sportsmen saying "who needs that kind of firearm anyways".

One by one different type of firearms were banned and put on the "restricted" list until the government knew they had a compliant population and then came the National Registration where frightened law abiding gun owners handed in their heirlooms and sporting firearms.

Today, a man with a gun in Canada is viewed by the indoctinated public as either a criminal or a potential threat to the community rather than a man hunting birds or shooting clays.

The gun club I belong to shudders when I show up with my machineguns (semi-auto military style rifles)and has put a three round limit for "assault rifles" while their grandsons' shoot their 20 round Ruger 10-22.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Linx,

It's gun owners exactly like yourself that are going to give all our gun rights away, little by little. The ones that pull out their deer rifles once a year, pop of a few rounds to check the sights, sit in a stand possibly shoot a deer, and then return the rifle to the safe until next year. You don't understand, want, or see the need to own an "assult rifle". You could care less if they banned those, but do you really think they are going to stop there? Now that you KNOW the difference between an "assult rifle" and your hunting rifle, (the Evil Black Rifle, scary look difference), and see that there really is NO difference, what guns do you think are next on the old chopping block? Your deer rifle, that's what. You may or may not care then.

As for purpose. Being as the AR15 isn't all that "powerful", and not really suited for very large game (you can't just scared a deer to death by it's evil look you know[:X]), I use my AR for coyotes. While I hear they ARE rather scared by its look, they would much rather me use it than have me bust out my truly "powerful" deer rifle on them. So there it has a purpose, if you must have one.[8D]

Ben
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    We need more guns!

untitled.jpg
  • Options
    Mr CoolMr Cool Member Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I dont see the point in owning a car that can go 115mph but I will defend your right to own one. I dont see the point in talking about the merits of Nazis but I will defend your right to free speech. Does anyone in America remember the constitution anymore ?
  • Options
    Gun_PoorGun_Poor Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr Cool

I dont see the point in owning a car that can go 115mph but I will defend your right to own one. I dont see the point in talking about the merits of Nazis but I will defend your right to free speech. Does anyone in America remember the constitution anymore ?
    Right On! What is troubling is that these school shooting have turned assault weapons into the an easy target for the dems. If they go, handguns might not be to far behind. the NRA needs to start spending my money now, trying to educate the masses on why we do not want to loose our right to bare arms.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmmm...well after all of this and some web searching...(hate being stuck at work) And a little soul searching, I can now understand the point you have made. Its like there is no gray just black and white. Thank you for giving me a little insite about this topic.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by lynx_strife
    [/quote

Well I dont know why you NEED the guns you have. All I have is A single shot .22 rifle. I dont know why you NEED anything bigger then that. I was going to buy a 10/22, but I dont know why anyone would NEED to shoot that fast or have more then 1 round in the gun at a time. I dont know why you NEED more then one of them.

All people not just gun onwers need to stick together for what is right. There are lots of things out there that I have I dont want to do, but that dosent make them wrong. A bigger problem is with all the divisions in the gun culture. If one gun onwer is not willing to stick up for another all is lost. Like others said look at what is happening now and what has happend in the past. Gun "grabbers" want ALL guns, and more. Look at what is on their list right now, .50 BMG: too big, 5.7x28: too small, "black rifles": too military, High cap mags (most being the ammout they were made to hold ie "normal cap"): too many bullets, "Sniper" rifles (sounds like hunting and target rifles too me): able to shoot too far, Handguns: too easy to hide. Where does it end? It may not, look over the ocean where several places have ban Knives. It is never enough for them and never will be. From you statement why would I want to stand up for what you like if you wont stand up for me? What you have is no less evil then mine from the people that want to take them.

If I really ment what I said in the first statement I would be looking as you as you are looking at us. I am just sticking to the gun arguement here since you say you are a gun owner. As others have stated this applies to so many things in life. I will ask you this have you ever shot a "black rifle"? Have you ever shot a Machingun? I will tell you it is a total kick! I know it is not for eveyone, but dont knock it untill you try it. My current GF of 2.5 yrs was not a fan of guns when she met me. She is not into it like I am, but she owns her own gun now, I did buy it for her. When we travel she feels much better knowing that I have my gun with me. I bought her 5yr son a Chipmunk .22 for his birthday and she thought it was great. She loves going to the machinegun shoot. If you had asked her the same thing 3 yrs ago things would have been way different. If she had told me she still didnt like them after trying I would still respect her for trying and making an informed choice.

The real problem with it is that is solves nothing. If laws would stop people from using guns to kill people why dont we just make a law that says it is illegal to kill someone, oh wait we have that and it dosent work. How about one that says if you are a felon you can not have a gun, we have that one too. Read my tag line about "Gun Control". Law will only stop the law abiding and hurt them in the long run. I am not sure where I read it but there is a quote that says "one more law and we can all be criminals".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmmm...well after all of this and some web searching...(hate being stuck at work) And a little soul searching, I can now understand the point you have made. Its like there is no gray just black and white. Thank you for giving me a little insite about this topic.

Incredibly glad to hear. You are definately not a dem/liberal because you clearly have the ability to reason.[8D]

Too many gun owners can't/won't grasp the concept that it simply has nothing to do with needing/wanting "assult rifles", it's about removing ALL guns period, and when you let them remove one it makes it that much easier to remove the rest.[V]

Ben
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1

I am quite certin the british would have loved for us to only have long bows and pikes[xx(]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank god im not a liberal....now that I go over and read what I posted I feel a little disgusted with my self.

And too Nwcid lecture..j/k great post by the way.
    I have shot a number of black rifles that other people own. But a machinegun I regret to say no. Looks like alot of fun. Too think of the shear number of watermellons waste...oooo..(watermellons are my current favorit thing to shoot this year. Last year it was pumpkins and various mellons.

But I would like to apolgize for these post. Since they are not how I think/feel about firearms.
    In my place of work I get alot of people with diffrent views and most the time they are very vocal. (I work in a Knife Specility Shop)And I defend and try and get alot of people to understand that a knife is not a weapon. Its the person that uses it that makes it what it is.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Actually I didnt mean for this thread to get this out of hand, I am just getting ready to list some assault rifles on the auction, and was trying to over-inflate the prices.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank god im not a liberal....now that I go over and read what I posted I feel a little disgusted with my self.

And too Nwcid lecture..j/k great post by the way.
    I have shot a number of black rifles that other people own. But a machinegun I regret to say no. Looks like alot of fun. Too think of the shear number of watermellons waste...oooo..(watermellons are my current favorit thing to shoot this year. Last year it was pumpkins and various mellons.

But I would like to apolgize for these post. Since they are not how I think/feel about firearms.
    In my place of work I get alot of people with diffrent views and most the time they are very vocal. (I work in a Knife Specility Shop)And I defend and try and get alot of people to understand that a knife is not a weapon. Its the person that uses it that makes it what it is.

No need to apoligize Linx.[8D] Thats what these forums are for (did I actually print that, Dons gonna have a hayday with that one[:D]), for mature people to get together and DISCUSS different viewpoints. Although I think we rammed it home on you[:D]), you never know who's reading these posts. There may very well be some lurker that never thought of the consequences of giving their RIGHTS away, even if that right is little or of no concern to themself.

Ben
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well you have no reason to apolgize for the post. You had a thought that you wanted to share. That is a great thing about living in a free country, you can say what you want even if everyone dosent agree. You got a great discussion going. One of the most powerful statements I have ever heard was from a person that legaly imigrated here in the 60's. A group was sitting around talking about stuff and somebody made a statement like "I dont want to talk about it, it is too political" or maybe it was religon. His response was "that is why you Should talk about that stuff". Where he was from you didnt have that right. He was saying that we should talk about things that share the way you think. If you talk you will learn, but you wont always agree.

Now what you should apolgize for is living in one of the MOST gun friendly states and not shooting a machinegun. [:D] Dr. John says take $100-$200, go to you local gun shop and find out when a group is having a MG shoot. You will have a great day. [:p] Make sure you bring a video camera, it is well worth it.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    It starts with full auto weapons soon your down to semi then repeating the single shot it has to stop somewhere.
  • Options
    zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget the one round per person rule.
    If you should happen to ever fire that round you will have to fill out form #b7u3l8l2s6h4i9t and get an audit from the ATF. To recieve a replacement round there will be a 90 day waiting period.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would you people quit hyping up this AWB. Your arficially bumping up the price right before I plan to buy one.
  • Options
    CJ7nvrstkCJ7nvrstk Member Posts: 678 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq
    Why should anyone own more than three guns?

There should be ban on owning more than three guns.

Typically, sportsmen & women own a shotgun, rifle and a 22.

Why should anyone own an assault rifle or high cap mags?[:o)]

For your first question, there are many types of shooting/hunting out there that require different types of weapons. I'ld be willing to bet that you own more than 3 pairs of shoes. Same principal.

Have anything to support your "Typically speaking..." statement. I would venture a guess that most of us here own more than 3 guns.

Sport shooting is the answer to your last question. It's quite enjoyable to blow off 20-50 rounds (in some cases more) as fast as you can pull the tirgger.