In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Assault Weapons BAN

Comments

• Options
    Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CJ7nvrstk, I think most of us, if we only had 3 firearms, would feel undergunned.
  • Options
    Mike MizzMike Mizz Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq
    Why should anyone own more than three guns?

There should be ban on owning more than three guns.

Typically, sportsmen & women own a shotgun, rifle and a 22.

There is no real reason why someone should own an arsenal of firearms that could easily be misused or stolen.

A simple limitation of the number of firearms owned by an individual would not affect the sacred right to keep and bears arms and will greatly reduce accidental shootings and other gun violence.

If someone has a real need for more than three firearms ther could be a special license for that and they could be stored by the local police for the public's safety.

Also, handguns should be highly regulated since most sportsmen and women are not hanguuners and those who buy them do so out of fear and intend on shooting another human in some sort of unknown future confrontation.

Why should anyone own an assault rifle or high cap mags?[:o)]
  • Options
    CJ7nvrstkCJ7nvrstk Member Posts: 678 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dak To 68
    CJ7nvrstk, I think most of us, if we only had 3 firearms, would feel undergunned.

Ain't that the truth Dak To 68?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Mike Mizz
    Originally posted by gunpaq

I'M NEW AT POSTING SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME.

WHOEVER DID WRITE THAT PASSAGE IN MY LAST POST ABOUT 3 GUN LIMIT, DOES ANYONE TELL JAY LENO HOW MANY CARS HE CAN COLLECT? CARS ARE 3500 POUND ASSAULT WEAPONS IN THE HANDS OF A DRUNKEN DRIVER. DO YOU DRINK AND DRIVE?
    CHECK OUT THE NATIONAL FOR THE STATISTICS OF HAMMERS USED IN MURDERS. IT IS MORE THAN "ASSAULT WEAPONS" IT IN'T EVEN CLOSE.
    FOR YOU ANTI-GUN LADIES, HOW MANY HUMMELS DO YOU COLLECT IF YOU DO COLLECT THEM? DOES ANYONE TELL YOU HOW MANY YOU CAN?
    YOU PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF YOUR OWN EVIL THOUGHTS, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE. GUNS ARE A TOLL JUST LIKE THE TOOLS IN YOUR SHED. AN AXE IS A TOOL, CORRECT? YOU CAN KILL SOMEONE WITH AN AXE IF YOU DESIRE TO RIGHT?
    USE YOUR MINDS FOR A CHANGE AND YOUR * WILL FOLLOW.
    DIDI MAO TO YOU ALL
  • Options
    PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lynx_strife
    I am curious why do you need a assault weapon and a Hi-Cap mags. And I am a gun owner and as nice/cool it would be to own a full auto I just dont see the point in owning one.

That statement implies that all assault weapons are fully automatic,thats what the gun grabbers want you to believe,makes it sound scaryer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mike Mizz, welcome. Didi Mao, haven't heard that in years. You'll find that some here are dinki dao.[;)][8D]
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mike Mizz
    Originally posted by Mike Mizz
    Originally posted by gunpaq

I'M NEW AT POSTING SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME.

WHOEVER DID WRITE THAT PASSAGE IN MY LAST POST ABOUT 3 GUN LIMIT, DOES ANYONE TELL JAY LENO HOW MANY CARS HE CAN COLLECT? CARS ARE 3500 POUND ASSAULT WEAPONS IN THE HANDS OF A DRUNKEN DRIVER. DO YOU DRINK AND DRIVE?
    CHECK OUT THE NATIONAL FOR THE STATISTICS OF HAMMERS USED IN MURDERS. IT IS MORE THAN "ASSAULT WEAPONS" IT IN'T EVEN CLOSE.
    FOR YOU ANTI-GUN LADIES, HOW MANY HUMMELS DO YOU COLLECT IF YOU DO COLLECT THEM? DOES ANYONE TELL YOU HOW MANY YOU CAN?
    YOU PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF YOUR OWN EVIL THOUGHTS, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE. GUNS ARE A TOLL JUST LIKE THE TOOLS IN YOUR SHED. AN AXE IS A TOOL, CORRECT? YOU CAN KILL SOMEONE WITH AN AXE IF YOU DESIRE TO RIGHT?
    USE YOUR MINDS FOR A CHANGE AND YOUR * WILL FOLLOW.
    DIDI MAO TO YOU ALL

Mike,
    I will try to help you out here.
    #1 Turn off the caps, that is considered shouting.
    #2 I believe gunpaq was being sarcastic, you can tell by the little clown face >[:o)]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    03GRUNT03GRUNT Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not trying to re-invent the wheel Lynx the basic point has been made and expanded on by others.
    For myself, I don't want a fair fight. I want the advantage. Most of the street scum are using things equivilent to what many of your adversaries are using in the sand box. They could care less about who gets hurt should they decide to invade your home.
    If I have the right to own an advantage then I want to have the freedom to own that advantage. The Gubment doesn't protect my home and family I do. You can't put a cop on every street, and the law has no teeth and less and less meaning for the lawless.
    I don't go looking for trouble but should it find me I want anything but a fair fight.[;)]
    Just my $.02 worth
  • Options
    edited November -1
    03grunt, well stated. +1
  • Options
    jabronij3jabronij3 Member Posts: 4,686
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    I believe a weapon would have to proved guilty by a jury of it's peers before it could be classified as a "assault weapon" and as to what degree of offense should be taken into consideration before it's sent up the river.
    don't gimme a reason to assault someone with my weapon and we be cool[;)]
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    quote:No NEW assault weapons made or imported for the general population.
    There's already an import ban - courtesy of the GOP and George HW Bush.

New? Where have you been? It's an accomplished fact.[:(!]

Yeah, it was a supplement to FDR's Gun Control Act of 1934, courtesy of the Democrats.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry about the caps Don, my head is still ringing from artillery to close, and from the spinning from the election that mademe puke. Total *, and Dinki Mao for sure.
    All of us who LOVE our LEGAL guns ought to realize what happened yesterday. WE are going be under attack, not literally, but figuratively. These ultra Liberals won't be happy until they disarm us, have dinner and dessert with our going to be "friends" Iran, Styia, and I suppose unilateral talks with that nutjob in Pyongpang just so he can get his rocks off by telling the world the US is finally willing to "respect" him.
    Lock and load, and take cover brothers
  • Options
    edited November -1

Monkey,
    You always bring that up, have you ever read it? do you know what it says?
    Clinton did far more damage by enforcing a trade law which eliminated all firearms imports from china, all the poly tec & norinc ak & sks's
    all Shotguns & .22's it did not matter what sporting or military.
    Bush's "ban" that you constanly whine about still allowed the same firearms, they had to be fitted with ugly thumbhole stocks, but they were still imported, but that did not affect any sporting firearms, only military "stlyle" firearms.
    It sucked, but it was better than the assembled POS's on the market today.
    Besides, what do you care, you can't own any good stuff in CA anyway.[}:)]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just sounds like donkey is just used to the communism
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am curious why do you need a assault weapon and a Hi-Cap mags. And I am a gun owner and as nice/cool it would be to own a full auto I just dont see the point in owning one.

You don't need to see a point for freedom. Freedom is not a point it is a fact.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 03GRUNT
    Not trying to re-invent the wheel Lynx the basic point has been made and expanded on by others.
    For myself, I don't want a fair fight. I want the advantage. Most of the street scum are using things equivilent to what many of your adversaries are using in the sand box. They could care less about who gets hurt should they decide to invade your home.
    If I have the right to own an advantage then I want to have the freedom to own that advantage. The Gubment doesn't protect my home and family I do. You can't put a cop on every street, and the law has no teeth and less and less meaning for the lawless.
    I don't go looking for trouble but should it find me I want anything but a fair fight.[;)]
    Just my $.02 worth
    HEY............ "THATS WHAT THIS FORUM IS FOR"![:D]
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Because I feel it's our Constitutional Right. It was designed so that the Goverment could never be anymore powerful than it's citizens. Law abiding Americans should be able to own whatever firearm they desire.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

What's a high-cap mag?
    What's an assault weapon?

Boy, have you been brainwashed. When we start using the media/politician's terminology, it's the end for reason.

My standard capacity magazines are legal here, but reduced capacity mags are required 5 miles away. My rifle has a cool muzzle break, but some people might term it a flash hider. So sorry the muzzle is threaded.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sperry : +10 !!!
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    damn lynx,
    do you need a bass boat,or a car with more than 100hp? no you dont
    how bout frosted ceral or a big mac.

people get hurt by those they should be banned by the govt and we will be safe[:I]

those guns were banned for cosmetic reasons only, not any study that found it would reduce crime. and it is a shame that many people, including some gun owners like you, fall for it
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    Has anyone ever heard of "The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy"? The more we talk about all of the hypothetical changes possible and believe that the outcome is inevitable, i.e. a fait accompli, the more they are highly likely to actually occur just as we envisioned.

I believe that sometimes, we say too much - or simply more than is necessary - and unwittingly give our opponents more quality ammunition to defeat us with when the time comes. Let's not do our opponents' thinking for them.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I quote: believe that sometimes, we say too much - or simply more than is necessary - and unwittingly give our opponents more quality ammunition to defeat us with when the time comes. Let's not do our opponents' thinking for them
    Versus merely burying our head in the sand and pretending everything is coming up Roses ?
    The Majority of people that live here in America do just that. That is why we have 20,000 +++ gun laws...and millions more intrusive, freedom-busting laws on the books.
    For myself...if 'talking it up' brings about a total ban on firearms...I will talk till I am blue in the face.

That is the only thing I can see that will separate the sheep from the wolves in this old U.S. of A.......
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well that is certainly a unique perspective!

quote:Originally posted by Highball
    I quote: believe that sometimes, we say too much - or simply more than is necessary - and unwittingly give our opponents more quality ammunition to defeat us with when the time comes. Let's not do our opponents' thinking for them
    Versus merely burying our head in the sand and pretending everything is coming up Roses ?
    The Majority of people that live here in America do just that. That is why we have 20,000 +++ gun laws...and millions more intrusive, freedom-busting laws on the books.
    For myself...if 'talking it up' brings about a total ban on firearms...I will talk till I am blue in the face.

That is the only thing I can see that will separate the sheep from the wolves in this old U.S. of A.......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The truly unique quality about American life...were that ban brought about because of some terrible series of gun violence..Americans sense of 'fairness' would allow the ban to take place nearly without a mumur.
    Only a ban brought about because out 'leaders' feel it necessary will bring the pot to a boil.
  • Options
    Fatboy livesFatboy lives Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen highball, I am right with you on this, while I hate to see it happen, I'd as soon to fight the war now, instead of passing on to my child to fight.quote:Originally posted by Highball
    The truly unique quality about American life...were that ban brought about because of some terrible series of gun violence..Americans sense of 'fairness' would allow the ban to take place nearly without a mumur.
    Only a ban brought about because out 'leaders' feel it necessary will bring the pot to a boil.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don lord only knows how much I hate to agree with EMM but he is correct. Under bush there are now no more parts kits imported, or thumbhole stock style arms imported. I do agree that klintons ban on norinco did a lot worse as well.quote:Originally posted by dongizmo

Monkey,
    Clinton did far more damage by enforcing a trade law which eliminated all firearms imports from china, all the poly tec & norinc ak & sks's
    Bush's "ban" that you constanly whine about still allowed the same firearms, they had to be fitted with ugly thumbhole stocks, but they were still imported, but that did not affect any sporting firearms, only military "stlyle" firearms.
    Don
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Versus merely burying our head in the sand and pretending everything is coming up Roses ? Not at all, Highball. Never ever said that and don't believe that's so.
    For myself...if 'talking it up' brings about a total ban on firearms...I will talk till I am blue in the face. I'm not sure but I think you may be looking past or ignoring my lead-in reference to "The SelfFulfilling Prophecy" as it applies to the original context of this thread.

That is the only thing I can see that will separate the sheep from the wolves in this old U.S. of A....... And sometimes wolves say too much, as in much more information than is necessary to get a point across. There are professionals who are paid well by political parties, organizations, groups, etc. to surf websites and then chum and troll forums and blogs for as much useful information - or dirt - as they can gather. To which end I respectfully suggested that endless speculation over what might be, in explicit detail, now be curtailed. That was all I was trying to suggest. No malice and no apathy were ever intended.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatboy lives
    Don lord only knows how much I hate to agree with EMM but he is correct. Under bush there are now no more parts kits imported, or thumbhole stock style arms imported. I do agree that klintons ban on norinco did a lot worse as well.quote:Originally posted by dongizmo

Monkey,
    Don

You never dealt with the BATFE under Clinton and under Bush, I can tell you, there is a big difference.
    What you are referring to is a ruling on parts by a BATFE minion which is reversible, not a executive order.
    The thumbhole stocks made AK's importable as sporting firearms under GWB's executive order, I have not heard of any new laws contradicting
    it, you could still import mak90's from china if not for clintons executive order enforcing a seldom used trade law.
    Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Slow Hand;
    No malice towards you, either..this is called a 'discussion'...a place where honest men discuss differences of opinion, methods, and procedures.
    I fully understood your point...I use it quite often when talking about the NRA...I believe that the goverment uses them as a gauge as to what gun laws gun owners are willing to swallow today.

Other people are batting around 'what will be banned next'...I bat around the Constitution...and what the Founders would do about the already existing infringments of same.
    I will be dismissed as radical,fringe, and possible dangerous....and what I wish to do is perhaps force the 3% to understand exactly where we are on the gauge of freedom.
    I have no problem with ever more stringent gun laws....because I believe we already HAVE tyranny...and the absolute only thing to get the dumbed-down dead-* gunowners off his fat butt is MUCH more gun laws.
    The trick is...this MUST be done completely non-violently. The only way to do it is...retreat from the corruption of the political preocess...and let the sleezy Demorats and Repubicans have their day in the sun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Wow and interesting thread. First let me say that Machine Guns are registered. Uncle Sam knows where they are and who has em'. A Federal background check has to happen to possess any. I believe the gov. will step up their laws and do the same with Assault weapons. Each gun will be registered, tax paid the same as machine guns. An amnesty period same as in 1934 for machine guns and bingo.. case solved. Since 1934 only one death has occurred with a LEGAL owned machine gun. But pay attention NOT ALL people who possess assault rifles right now will pass the Federal background check the same as those for machine guns. The change is coming and coming soon.

I can't see it, there are far more of what they would call "assault weapons" than there are (or ever were per capita) registered MG's.
    Canada tried such a scheme, and it crashed and burned.
    Don
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1

The "assault weapon" term has already been explained. Let me explain the "Hi-Cap mags" term.

Limiting the number of rounds in a mag is basically a worthless law. Reason being that only the lawful will obey the law. Or even if the lawless criminals DID obey the law, consider this: if the violent criminal just positively had to carry 20 or 30 rounds when holding up the unarmed, defenseless, local conveience store clerk, then that criminal merely needs to carry 3 ten round mags. So in that example, how has a law limiting the number of rounds in a mag done even one damn good thing for the citizens. Yet with that law in place, millions of lawful gun owners would have to struggle with yet another worthless gun law hanging over their heads.

In addition, if the gun banners can limit you to a ten round mag, then next legislative session they can pass a law limiting you to a one or two round mag.

Plus, if we allow meaningless, worthless laws to be passed, over time the citizens will start to lose respect for all laws in general. And this would hurt our country. Because one thing that makes America one of the best countries in the world is our general respect for laws to live by.
  • Options
    NeilTheBritNeilTheBrit Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir Winston Churchill saw the problem back in 1931

"If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are correct I have not dealt with the ATF under klinton, or bush. You are also correct that the current ban was done by the atf, not by executive order. I can't help but wonder why bush has not reversed this.quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    quote:Originally posted by Fatboy lives

Monkey,
    Don

You never dealt with the BATFE under Clinton and under Bush, I can tell you, there is a big difference.
    What you are referring to is a ruling on parts by a BATFE minion which is reversible, not a executive order.
    The thumbhole stocks made AK's importable as sporting firearms under GWB's executive order, I have not heard of any new laws contradicting
    it, you could still import mak90's from china if not for clintons executive order enforcing a seldom used trade law.
    Don
  • Options
    Gunners762Gunners762 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ["We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society." [Hillary Clinton, 1993]

["We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans ..." [President Bill Clinton, 'USA Today' March 11, 1993: Page 2A]
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something you all seem to have forgotten- The second amendment has nothing to do with hunting or self defense-these things were a non-issue. The second amendment is about the people being armed to guarantee that government stays in check. This is the ONLY reason for this amendment. Read it sometime.
    Bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill DeShivs
    Something you all seem to have forgotten- The second amendment has nothing to do with hunting or self defense-these things were a non-issue. The second amendment is about the people being armed to guarantee that government stays in check. This is the ONLY reason for this amendment. Read it sometime.
    Bill

Your absolutely right Bill but unfortunately under the patriot act that type of public stance will place you and everything about your personal life in the spot light of some potentially nasty and un-wanted federal attention. Read that sometime!
  • Options
    lynx_strifelynx_strife Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow even after I posted a apolgy people are still telling me the point. I wounder did they stop reading and reply when they saw my post and didnt go any further. Oh well :D God Bless and be safe out there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No Lynx I read your message and understood it. It is just the fact that this not being a face to face conversation does sometimes delay responses or it could just be the fact that some of us suffer from age activated attention deficit disorder![:D]
    03Grunt

Wow even after I posted a apolgy people are still telling me the point. I wounder did they stop reading and reply when they saw my post and didnt go any further. Oh well :D God Bless and be safe out there.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

You don't need a car, either. Or a CD player. Or your nice surround sound Wide screen TV, either. or your computer.

In this country, it is not up to anyone to decide what we need. That's communism.