In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NRA: good or bad?

midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
my father just paid for a membership for me to the NRA as a gift. i've seen some negative comments on here about the NRA, can anyone tell me what they're about or post links to some info so i can see what they've been up to that seems to be so negative. thanks in advance.

Moved to preserve thread...

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WELCOME TO THE NRA!!!!

I am a Patron Member and have been a NRA member for 36 years. They have done some industrial strength stupid stuff on the ILA side. Overall the NRA runs matches and sets the rules for many shooting programs very well. No other viable alternative to providing these services has shown up. Shooting insurance is supplied to clubs, hunters and competitors at reasonable rates or free for being a member. Therefore I still support the NRA. Other groups like GOA are active on the political side but offer little in services to competitive shooters. We need all gun owners to speak with a unified voice. Sometimes that voice gets a bit shrill on the ends of the bell curve.

My .02
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    ok I'm going to give this a try.

I'v been a life member from 1985, I was a general for years be before
    that.I can not evan attemp by my self to protect my rights,that is why I joined a large group to do it for me.sure people say they compromise to much,they may but remember your dealing with goverment
    here. The nuts we have in congress want the vote of this large group
    but they will not give us every thing we want as they want votes from other large groups that don't agree with us.congress does not
    give much of a dm about the constitution.they only think about them selves. remember you can not get every body on the GB forum to agree any thing.

I suggest you vist the NRA web page
    here is a link to my gun club,on the right towards the bottom is a list of NRA activeties.

http://cvscgun.com/index.php?msg=8
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in San Francisco. Last year San Francisco passed a handgun ban. The NRA footed much of the bill, immediately went to court and got the handgun ban put on hold and ulitimately overturned. Were it not for the NRA I would have been required to turn in all my handguns (about 50 of them) in 90 days and with no compensation from the city.

Thank you for joining the NRA. Please ask others to do the same.
  • Options
    MarkDSrMarkDSr Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I to am a life member since 1979. Definately the best large unified voice going for our side. As stated above, shooting rules and insurance also a big plus. Give them whatever you can, we need them around. I believe anyone passionate about their weapons, shooting, or hunting should be a member. Please do get vocal and encourage your shooting buddies to join as well.
    Mark D.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Do a search on this forum and you will pull up more info than you know what to do with. My advice is to study up on the facts and make an educated decision for yourself. The NRA will never get another dime from me...they are wolves in sheep's clothing.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The late Neal Knox was an NRA director who felt that some of their leadership had lost site of the organizations goals, & were too anxious to compromise with our enemies. For his trouble, he was forced out. His work continues under his son Jeff's leadership. His organization, while small, is an excellent source of unbiased information:

http://firearmscoalition.org/

Neal
  • Options
    dan55362dan55362 Member Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a life member of the NRA. I truly believe they are the best thing going for gun owners. Now I don't always agree with the NRA but I know where my rights would be today if we never had a NRA. There are other pro gun groups out there like GOA (I am also a life member of) that claim to be the only 100% NO COMPRAMISE 2nd amendment fighters. I get a letter from them once a month reminding me of this but I see very little of the work they claim they done. They are small potatoes compared to the NRA. Some do nothing but bash the NRA and they have the right to but if they think we would have more gun rights without the NRA they need a reality check. So anyway I think the NRA is a great Organization and now that your a member you should look at joining GOA and any other pro gun organization that fits your fancy.[;)]
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ......ugly.[:o)]

dont believe me? pick up a 1947 AMR and look at the cover. now pick one up from 2008.[;)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    The NRA is not here to damage gun owners.
    There is a reason everybody in the firearm business promotes the NRA
    There are few that would like to tople the NRA for various reasons but to tople the NRA would be a bad thing.
    And I will leave it at that.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have to many youth programs to abandon those kids are our future in 10 to 15 years when they become voters
  • Options
    freddbear4freddbear4 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They say there are 80 million gun owners in this country but only 4 million belong to the NRA. If just 10% of them belonged to the NRA there would be no gun control legislation seriously considered. Politicianss are also Mathmaticians. 95% of the U.S.gun owners are taking a free ride. For your membership you will also get the NRA magazine and be informed about the other side of the coin, the one you will never see from the "media". If you do not agree after one year, cancel your membership. I've been a life member for 30+ years and have never caught them in a lie!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Just like the U.S. government has many faults The NRA also has many thinks I would change. Their support to shooting sports and matches is PITIFUL I think they would like the reason the NRA was founded to just go away . However just like the U.S. government they do a better Job then anyone else in this country or any other Pro Gun organization in the world . On the positive side they just hired the 8 time National Champion Bulls-Eye Pistol Shooter "Brian Zins" To head up the Pistol Programs . Maybe they will get back to there Roots . I have been a life member for 40 years Got my daughter a life membership for her First birthday and plan to do the same for my Grandson . The NRA does keep the wolfs at BAY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had the pleasure of sitting down and talking face to face with two gunshop owners from Australia a month ago and they could not fathom stress strong enough how that if all the gun owners in America could come together how strong of a group it would be. They would shake their head in disbelief at how American gunowners would not join the NRA first and then if they wanted to join the other gun organizations to do that also and how gun owners could absolutly control their destiny when it comes to gun ownership.
    They saw the Australian Gov bring the sweeping restrictions to their country and as two that had experienced it first hand they could not stress enough how important it is to join together as gun owners or lose what you think will never be lost.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I cant believe the the Anti NRA crowd isn't all over this thread.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    The NRA is kind of like the human race. Not perfect but it is the best thing going and I am a member. Or at least that is what my card says.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Read ECC's post again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    The NRA is not here to damage gun owners.
    There is a reason everybody in the firearm business promotes the NRA
    There are few that would like to tople the NRA for various reasons but to tople the NRA would be a bad thing.
    And I will leave it at that.

Because they make $10.00 for every membership they sell?
    What about the 80K 01 ffl's that were put out of business by the "crime bill"?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I'm a member and I only wish I could join other such organizations.

The NRA called me last night for the first time in over a year. The nice lady said "...we'd like to thank you for your contributions over the years..."
    And before she could draw another breath, I told her she was very welcome, wished her a nice evening and hung up.

I hate sales calls.

I've been reading American Rifleman magazines from as far back as 1967. The NRA either:

A) Is still beating the same, worn old drum about the "Gun-grabbing Boogiemen"
    or
    B) Has been beating the wolf from gun-owners' doors since at least then.
    Depending how you view them.

Either way, they are the best-connected, most experienced gun lobby in the United States.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If big business is only supporting the NRA for a measly 10.00 like they need the 10.00 they will not be in business long.

What about the 80,000 01 ffls out of business?
    The NRA did that?
  • Options
    OcelotZ3OcelotZ3 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    I've been reading American Rifleman magazines from as far back as 1967. The NRA either:

A) Is still beating the same, worn old drum about the "Gun-grabbing Boogiemen"
    or
    B) Has been beating the wolf from gun-owners' doors since at least then.
    Depending how you view them.

Where I disagree with them is their tactics. I'd really like to join, but some of their previous fund-raising letters & their attacks really turned me off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan55362

Allow me to simply state this....

Please do some research here on the forums for large volumes of past postings and information and also elsewhere as ECC suggested.

There are numerous verifiable references and other sources of information about historic, recent and current NRA duplicity and support of gun-control, which are cited by the "anti-NRA crowd", which I am counted as one by the GB populace.

From where I sit and from a factual basis, the NRA simply supports a different Amendment II that that enumerated in the US Constitution's Bill of Rights.

The NRA's Second Amendment is all about ensuring some degree of access to firearms for self-defense, shooting sports, shooting competition, hunting and target shooting. The caveat is that all this be with government regulation (infringement).

They also strongly support CCW laws, which have turned what was meant to be an inviolate, God-given right, into a government "must approve", thus government revocable, "privilege".

Lots more could be said about the issue and NRA actions that go back to the 1920's/30's which clearly show them supporting, facilitating and in some cases assisting in the drafting of gun-control legislation.

Do the research and make your own decision, just be informed about the provable facts, not what you are told by many blindly obedient NRA Zombies.[;)]

Oh, and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, note that I am a NRA Life-Member and GOA Life-Member. I just wouldn't join the NRA now if I had known then what I now know.
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    If big business is only supporting the NRA for a measly 10.00 like they need the 10.00 they will not be in business long.

What about the 80,000 01 ffls out of business?
    The NRA did that?

It was another concession they made, part of the omnibus crime bill of 94, the loss of dealers put a lot of distributors out of business too.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just joined the NRA huh, well expect to see your membership fee wasted on tons of junk mail wanting more of your money, not to mention the phone calls.

No Thanks[V]

Got Guns?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

Please do some research here on the forums for large volumes of past postings and information and also elsewhere as ECC suggested.

There are numerous verifiable references and other sources of information about historic, recent and current NRA duplicity and support of gun-control, which are cited by the "anti-NRA crowd", which I am counted as one by the GB populace.

From where I sit and from a factual basis, the NRA simply supports a different Amendment II that that enumerated in the US Constitution's Bill of Rights.

The NRA's Second Amendment is all about ensuring some degree of access to firearms for self-defense, shooting sports, shooting competition, hunting and target shooting. The caveat is that all this be with government regulation (infringement).

They also strongly support CCW laws, which have turned what was meant to be an inviolate, God-given right, into a government "must approve", thus government revocable, "privilege".

Lots more could be said about the issue and NRA actions that go back to the 1920's/30's which clearly show them supporting, facilitating and in some cases assisting in the drafting of gun-control legislation.

Do the research and make your own decision, just be informed about the provable facts, not what you are told by many blindly obedient NRA Zombies.[;)]

Oh, and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, note that I am a NRA Life-Member and GOA Life-Member. I just wouldn't join the NRA now if I had known then what I now know.

AAAAAA there they come

I have done my research like you said on the forums and all I could find are anti NRA whiners hell bent on destroying the credibility of the NRA. Like it or not the NRA has done a hell of lot more than you and your anti NRA cronies at preserving your gun rights. Tell me sir what laws have you stopped or overturned with your Anti NRA agenda? Now you can have your opinion and I will have mine but before you go off on your usual reply and call me arrogant for not hating the NRA with you answer that one question for me.
  • Options
    garand308wingarand308win Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I join will they take Paypal? [:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Over 10 years ago I told the guy on the phone from the NRA I didn't want anymore calls from them and to take me off the junk mail list.
    I get one phone call a year and one or two letter type info envelopes a year.
    It is real easy to get off their solicitation lists. All you have to do is ask them.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you were the NRA and you knew that there were 80 million gun owners and you could only get 4 million to join your organization you would try some desparate marketing ideas too.

While I respect many of the members of this forum, you don't want me talking about some of the people I meet where I have been shooting.

Do you know the people who shoot the road signs.

Do you know the people who drink alcohol then shoot.

Do you know the people who shoot at the shooting bench and use the stools as target stands.

How about the shooters who when asked not to shoot in the area where the 4 wheelers were riding replied that if you don't like it call the cops.

How about the hunter who had to ask my uncle to unload his gun for him because he did not know how.

I have participated in a number of interests over the years and guns seem to attract a greater number of undesirables than my other interests.

I would not be suprised to find that I would wish that of the 80 million gun owners that 5 million or more did not own guns. Not that I don't think they should have the right to own them but only that they would choose not to own a gun because would treat or use it properly.
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    Next year will be my 30th years as an NRA Life Member. Since I joined back in 1979 I have received a closet full of hats, a drawer full of belt buckels, several fancy looking certificates to hang on my walls, letters from Wayne La Pierre praising me for my membership(it was really nothing Wayne), a couple of copies of his book (yawn), enough issues of the American Rifleman to have caused the death of at least one tree by turning it into paper pulp, and various other NRA trinkets, pins, coffee cups, ect., ect. I did receive some very useful gun safety information for my girls who both loved Eddie Eagle (I like him too). In those nearly 30 years since I joined the NRA I have watched my gun rights slowly disappear until I used to believe that things here in California probably can't get any worse, but then every time I thought that I was proven wrong!
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't say that they are to blame 100% for what has happened, no sir
    I blame the 76 million other gun owners that if united threw the NRA, the GOA, or what the he!! ever "A" then,

WE WOULDN'T HAVE THIS DISCUSSION EVERY OTHER FU GIN DAY!!!!!

they get my money for now, as does the GOA
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

AAAAAA there they come

I have done my research like you said on the forums and all I could find are anti NRA whiners hell bent on destroying the credibility of the NRA. Like it or not the NRA has done a hell of lot more than you and your anti NRA cronies at preserving your gun rights. Tell me sir what laws have you stopped or overturned with your Anti NRA agenda? Now you can have your opinion and I will have mine but before you go off on your usual reply and call me arrogant for not hating the NRA with you answer that one question for me.

Blah, blah, blah....

If you had done your "research" as you claim, you would know that what I stated is not refutable.

And before you try to turn this into a "yeah, well they have done more than you" smoke-screen, lets stay focused on the issue shall we. It isn't about me, it is about the NRA. I'm not a massive lobbying and hunters/shooters "rights" organization, claiming to be the "staunch defenders" of "YOUR Second Amendment Rights".

I could give a rats * whether you "hate" the NRA or love the NRA. I am merely pointing out factual information, NOT regurgitating what the NRA spews to its members and what those members subsequently blindly spew to anyone who will listen.

You want to refute the fact of NRA complicity, facilitation and support of gun-control going back to at least the 20's/30's?

Give it your best shot cupcake, but superfluous rhetoric ain't going to cut it.[;)]
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    lt496

might you want to add this to the end of that novel???

"Go fuffle up a gum-tree, if you can find one"

seems to work really good for BR
    [:o)]
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just something I read.
    quote:Instead of trying to claim all the limelight and milking members for more contributions ...... if the NRA was truly representing their members and attempting to defend them from further infringements on their rights they would combine forces with KABA, JPFO, LSAS and others to present a united front to combat the anti-gun lobby? They don't because of money, pure and simple. Wayne LaPierre was heard to say the NRA was the best "fund raising" organization around.
    Is that the NRA purpose, fund raising?
    Wayne says it is one of the best. [;)]

The story

The president of the United States gets around $400,000 to run this country.

Does LaPierre REALLY need almost $1,000,000 to run the NRA?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    If you had done your "research" as you claim, you would know that what I stated is not refutable.

I agree. The whining you state is not refutable, but your your topics are.

quote:And before you try to turn this into a "yeah, well they have done more than you" smoke-screen, lets stay focused on the issue shall we. It isn't about me, it is about the NRA. I'm not a massive lobbying and hunters/shooters "rights" organization, claiming to be the "staunch defenders" of "YOUR Second Amendment Rights".

This one confuses me. If you don't consider yourself as a defender of the 2nd Amendment than why the hell do you care what the NRA does?

quote:I could give a rats * whether you "hate" the NRA or love the NRA. I am merely pointing out factual information, NOT regurgitating what the NRA spews to its members and what those members subsequently blindly spew to anyone who will listen.

If your merely pointing out factual information than why don't you point out the great things the NRA has done? It seems that you only point out the negative things about the NRA and put so much time and effort and go on and on about how evil the NRA is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Just something I read.
    quote:Instead of trying to claim all the limelight and milking members for more contributions ...... if the NRA was truly representing their members and attempting to defend them from further infringements on their rights they would combine forces with KABA, JPFO, LSAS and others to present a united front to combat the anti-gun lobby? They don't because of money, pure and simple. Wayne LaPierre was heard to say the NRA was the best "fund raising" organization around.

The story

HA HA HA that link you provided really seemed like a believable site. I was almost scared to be there. I was scared I might pick up a virus just being there. It had (trojanhorse) in their address.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Just something I read.

The story

HA HA HA that link you provided really seemed like a believable site. I was almost scared to be there. I was scared I might pick up a virus just being there. It had (trojanhorse) in their address.

The INFORMATION presented, could come from a myriad of sources.
    Where the info comes from, is important.........WHY?

No comment on the issue?
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been a Life Member of the NRA since 1966. I don't like the compromises in recent years, but if there were no NRA there wouldn't be anything left to compromise. The NRA members should take the NRA back. We've done it before.

A compromise is when you have $100.00 in your pocket and a thief tells you he is taking all your money. You say "Hell NO, you can only have $50.00, I'll fight you for the other $50.00." Then the next thief comes along and tells you he is taking all your money. You say "Hell NO, you can only have $25.00, I'll fight you for the other $25.00" See where compromise is taking us? I hate compromise.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:The INFORMATION presented, could come from a myriad of sources.
    Where the info comes from, is important.........WHY?

No comment on the issue?

I hope your smart enough to know that just because its on the Internet it doesnt make it all true facts. I am sure the folks at these sites complied their information from a myriad of sources.
    http://www.bradycenter.org/ http://www.millionmommarch.org/ http://www.peta.org/ but I haven't, didn't, and wont believe anything they have to say.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some people say, if you don't like it, change it, or start your own organization. The "idea" of changing from within, or starting your own group, is nothing new, as seen below. These people spent YEARS trying for change from within, and for various reasons, they COULD NOT!

Now, some think a few lowly PEON members, will be able to walk in off the street, and effect change? Do we even have the time remaining, to re-invent the wheel?

Lets look at H. L. Richardson. He was a board member of the NRA for 10 years. Did he see a problem with their policies? When he found he could NOT change it from within, he left and started the Gun Owners Of America.

What is now, the second largest gun rights activist organization in the country. Which is also known by MOST as the "NO COMPROMISE" gun lobby. How many here have said they DO belong to this organization?

Now lets turn out attention to Neal Knox, a career gun rights activist. A board member, as well as serving four years for the NRA, as the Executive Director of the Institute For Legislative Action. Which is the lobbying arm of the NRA.

He too must have had a problem with the policies of the NRA, found it impossible to change from within, as he went on to found the Firearms Coalition. Another well known "NO COMPROMISE" organization.

When Neal Knox was on the board, there was a vote to see if Executive Vice President (LaPierre) should be suspended or removed from office. It was supported by a solid 39-30 majority, but short of the two-thirds which was required for passage.

At that time, what the Board majority didn't know, was that the previous week LaPierre and his supporters had secretly ordered the placement of a full page ad in the ballot issue of the NRA magazines-six weeks after the published deadline for election ads. The ad worked. five of the nine were defeated, tipping the balance of power on the Board back into LaPierre`s favor.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Well, Dan, it really disappoints you that you and your compromising buddies don't control the news any more, eh ?

Before the internet. one had to dig really hard to understand what was going on with the NRA...unless you looked at how we were steadily losing gun rights in this country.

Once again..the topic IS the NRA...the poster wanted to know the good/bad about the organization.

You may well wish to turn this discussion into an attack on individual members..that may well distract the simpler minded from the MAIN topic.

Whinning, Dan, is what YOU are doing..instead of refuting the fact that since 1935 the NRA has either agreed with or helped write most of the gun control laws we have existing in America today.

The NRA, Dan...the NRA.
    THAT is the subject.