In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mandatory masks

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
I'm just curious.
What are your opinions about companies that mandate face coverings be worn by CUSTOMERS?
Set aside the discussion about employees, I'm only asking about the requirement that CUSTOMERS wear face coverings/masks as a requirement to patronize a business.

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******
    I’m thinking, their business, their rules. 
  • Options
    jimdeere said:
    O.K., but will you patronize such establishments?
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭
    They are protecting their employees. That is what a good employer does.
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I applaud such actions. I believe that such an action is indicative of good leadership within the company. Customers should NOT be the company's first focus. Employees should. In the case of COVID-19, such a requirement suggests to me that leadership is looking out for their employees. That is a good thing. As jimdeere said, their business, their rules. If customers don't like it, they are free to go elsewhere. 
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    People look stupid wearing a mask over the nose and mouth while their eyes are wide open to catch anything flying in the air.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    It is their store, they set the rules. If you dont like their rules, take your business somewhere else.
    Remember the adage "No shoes, no shirt, no service"
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I respect that it their choice just as it is my choice to shop elsewhere. Just like gun free stores.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    They don’t need one.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭
     there choice and mine to go some where else . simple
     I think   just gong too far we went two months with out them ..  then over night you have to wear a mask , sure OK  :|
         I bumped into a old coworker a couple weeks back in a  large parking lot  I had not seen for many years 
     he commented I did not have a mask on ,,and I was a high risk person due to some of my issues  like age being one among others no need to go into details 
         I told him the mask kept some one or me  from sneezing or basically spiting on some one . they offered zero protection for the wearer from getting the virus it could pass right thru .
        then I thought / realized a lot of people think its saving them from getting it by filtering out the virus ..
       oh  and he was wearing his in the parking lot  , and I do not think he believed me about the virus passing thru his cloth mask 
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Their business, their rules; and I'm okay with that because it is my money to spend where ever I choose to do so and I have the necessary masks if required!
    That said, my haircut appointment next week could be interesting if a mask is required!!!!!!!!!  :o

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    They are protecting their employees. That is what a good employer does.
    +1

Also, some folks here can't seem to grasp the concept that these cloth masks are not meant to filter the incoming air like an N95,.......they are meant to stop everyone's spew from coughs and sneezes from blowing outward 6 to 10 feet. They actually work fairly well for that purpose if you are not within 'kissing' distance of another person.

I have no problems wearing a mask when out in public until this is over. I also wear them when working in other peoples property whether asked to or not.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
      Ohh boy, I just don't go in their establishment.  So many things to say but.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont go to Starbucks or Target because they allow boys to use the girls restroom and girls to use the boys restroom.
    Same analogy.
  • Options
    I'm surprised to see how many sheep are on this board.
  • Options
    They must work. I haven’t caught the China virus.
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    Went to a fast foods drive in for breakfast this morning.  The female at checkout coughed into her hand wile counting my change back to me.  She was not wearing gloves or mask.

After she finished and before I drove off, I asked her if she missed rehab very much.  She just stared at me.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    Mgderf said:
    jimdeere said:
    O.K., but will you patronize such establishments?
    Agree with Jim, and no, I will not patronize such establishments.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    Hell, I look for those establishments.  Menards is one,  and if you dont have a mask they will supply one for a buck.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

Grocery run N100

Beer/snuff run N99

I have been half assed using them for years. I know if I was on a job the * hair would have to go. Pain in the * to work in.

• Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    Wearing a mask now is like starting birth control 2 months after you're pregnant.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Nailed it.
    Just watch a person who wears a mask and rubber gloves. They are continuously adjusting their mask and still touching everything in arms reach. Try this dab, your fingers in a bowl of mustard, I challenge you to get a mask off and not get the mustard on your face somewhere.
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking the whole mask thing will have a placebo effect. Those who are worried will wear them, feel safer and venture out. Either my little neck of the woods is hearty or we just aren't getting tested. To date we have had 5 confirmed cases in the county.

On the other hand, we are dirt eating, roadkill dinner cooking, hillbillies.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

I was at one of the bank branches that's kind a out of the way so I figure no line. Anyways I got there a bit early since they changed their hours to 10:00 A.M. There was a dude already there about 15 minuets before 10:00 A.M. So about 5 'til a woman took the second spot so I donned my mask to get in line. Felt silly out side wearing a mask but it's the new normal. Then the armored truck rolled in to do their thing. I thought this will be fun. The driver sat. Jumper jumped out and I was expecting shotgun but no. No third man. Maybe it was the amount so they didn't bother. You would imagine with folks standing about wearing masks you would think armored truck company would be more on the alert. I guess there hasn't been a jump in bank jobs.

So dude opened the door and took one person and then locked the door. Now I know there was two tellers since I've been there a few times so I know who they are. So I had a think while waiting there if someone was there to do a loan or something else that took more than 10 minuets everyone else would be turned away?

The other thing I didn't get was since everybody there was wearing a mask why they didn't go about business as usual since there was plenty of square footage to accommodate 3 customers.

I'll play along but soon as I'm out the door the mask comes off. Also for fun I cough behind the mask just to f-with folks.

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine went shopping the other day. A lady a little ways away from him took her mask off so she could cough, then put the mask back on. Listening to his story, all I could do was shake my head.
  • Options
    fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Working in nuke plants as a painter for a bazillion years l have been there, done that. l don't believe there's any mask l have not worn.. A chemical weapons lncenerator near Kasey in Anniston was likely the ABSOLUTE worst for PPE. Two pair and a ''Hogs Head'' was all in a days work... 2 pair means  2 pair of coveralls, 2 pair of gloves, 2 pair of overshoes.. Full face respirator with hood. Maybe even SCBA supplied air. Even then sometimes working in a negative pressure or positive tent...PPE is no joke. lt can save your life... l cringe watching some of these medical people wearing it improperly. ln nukes you get an alarm or  count reading if you get ''crapped up''... Wear the mask...  No alarm goes off when you get the KUNG FLU:(  
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Mgderf said:
    I'm surprised to see how many sheep are on this board.

I use band-aids, I take antibiotics when prescribed, I wear shoes, sometimes I wear gloves when working, and Yeah I use a mask so I am not breathing your snot infested air.
    I agree on a general misunderstanding of the purpose and utility. I don't get wearing it in your own vehicle with no one else in the car, or outside on a lonely trail? Sunshine is your friend
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    People can wear on if they choose. I will not, you don't cover up works of art! Don
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Wearing a mask should by just like going out in the public. Go out if you like or stay at home, wear a mask or don't wear a mask, your choice. If I remember this is still a free country although the government wolves and shepards seem to think different.
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    People look stupid wearing a mask over the nose and mouth while their eyes are wide open to catch anything flying in the air.

True, but, but
    The experts says masks are not to protect the one wearing the mask, it's to protect other from you. (if from your flying spray if you cough or blow your nose)
    But again seems some people, especially women can send alarming things through the air with their eyes

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    Look, it is known that masks (especially improvised ones) are pretty much useless - both for incoming and outgoing contamination. On the other hand, they are also not much of an inconvenience to wear. So if a given establishment requires you to wear one as a customer, and you want to be a customer there, just put one on. As mentioned above, I haven't heard anybody rebelling against "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" so why the vitriol about "No Mask"?
    And don't give me that "sheep" nonsense. You're mad because people act their way but not your way? It's only okay if they're your sheep? Up a rope to you, too.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
      to me it is no different than putting that sticker on door no weapons allowed, their business and if I don't like their policy they loose my business,...
  • Options
    Impressive. So, next time you have a heart attack, be sure to avoid any emergency room with a "No Weapons" sticker, okay?
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    To me, it's common sense.   Then again, I live in NOLA.  A hotspot with loads of CV-19 cases.    If you live ten miles outside of nowhere, it's probably not necessary. 

People need to exercise  just a smidgen of common sense.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Impressive. So, next time you have a heart attack, be sure to avoid any emergency room with a "No Weapons" sticker, okay?
      apples and oranges rocky............ one is nonessential one isn't
  • Options
    sawz1997sawz1997 Member Posts: 22
    I find the if they require a mask, and I'm not going to wear one, so I will boycott them attitude a little ironic,
  • Options
    You made no such distinction in your post, hillbillie. But, let's discuss "essential". Example: You need a hammer, or a sprinkler head, or a box of nails. Every local hardware store requires a mask. Now what will you do? What does it cost you to just put on a darn mask for a couple of minutes?
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
    Masks were part of a protocol for us to be able to hold a 3 day high school Rodeo this past weekend.
    I figured a little inconvenience of wearing and making the effort for social distancing was worth it to allow these kids the opportunity to compete when high school sanctioned sports were cancelled.

Mule