In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why are so many afraid of a draft .

joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
Sure, its hard to leave your family, friends, jobs and good life, but
time comes when you "may" be called on by the country that gave you
everything. In Sept 1940 our ww2 "preparedness" started with a draft
of 900,0000 people. Was only supposed to be a 1 year draft but it didnt work out that way after Dec. 7 '41. Terms were changed to "Duration of Hostilities plus 6 months" for draftees and/or enlistees. Draftees and enlistees served together. About half and half enlistees and draftees
was what we had, totaling about 11,000,000 of us . I must admit, those in the "regular army " said about the draft, "we may win the war, but the army will never be the same". So why with all the "gung ho" CCW
people, home defence people, and shooters so damn worried about serving for their country in time of hostilities? Because someone may be shooting back at them? And yes, I enlisted in'43, got out in early '46 after serving as a combat Infantryman in the 3rd Inf. Div..
So go ahead guys, been shot at before .

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell it how ya see it dog-faced soldier!
    Rock o' the Marne!
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Why are so many afraid of a draft

Because they've been told to be afraid of it by the democratic party.[}:)]

How you doin'!
    wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif

bumpersticker.gif

If the Army and the Navy
    Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
    They will find the streets are guarded by
    UNITED STATES MARINES!
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Great post Joe

To answer your question? "Why are so many afraid of a draft"

I fear we are becoming or all ready are a nation of "Candy *'s"

I guess I don't see things the way people much younger tham I do.
    My Grandfather served in Cuba in the Spanish American War with the 2nd Cav.
    http://vdf40.tripod.com/cuba/cubaweb.html

My Father in the Big One WWII, France, Belgium, Germany and was lucky enough to sent on the the Phillipines BTW He was drafted.

bumpersticker.gif
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Freedom isn't Free, we have it only because someone bought it for us. Sometimes people can live an entire lifetime enjoying the freedom paid for by others, and then sometimes the duty to pay the bill falls on those that are then obligated to either pay it, or let the subscription lapse. Those of Joe's and my dad's generation (Dad was a medic in one of the army units that relieved the 1st Marinve Division on Guadalcanal) paid that price for me and those that have followed. It fell on my generation to pay the price in Korea, Vietnam and cold war conflicts. I'm appreciative of those that paid the price in various near east/middle east locations as well as presently in Afghanistan and Iraq. I'm glad we'll never know how close we came to allowing the subscription to lapse had the plans of Sadam & the terrorists not been interrupted. Despite those that seem to believe what the candidate says, there were very few criminals that served as members of MACV. I guess those that are in fear of a draft, figure they'll catch a cold, but then I suppose some would prefer a warm bed in a concentration camp.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I personally have no problem with a draft when it is necessary. i.e. protection of our own borders. For me to support a draft it would have to be something pretty drastic ala 9/11. On the other hand I don't think I would have supported it (a draft) to go to Iraq. While I do believe Iraq was the right thing to do, I also believe at the time it was a voluntary thing on our part to do and would only agree to send volunteers.

But comparing it to WWII is like comparing apples and oranges. At that time over half the world was embroiled in a war where millions were dying, and if fighting towelheads comes to that kind of war...the yea I'd hit the draft switch in a new york minute. But I don't think now is the time for a draft as the battles are very small scale, sparse and difficult to even react to and having 11 million soldiers isn't going to change that.

Hell, with budget cutbacks we can't even hardly equip our own volunteer forces properly let alone an army 10x the size unless congress cuts their crap out with the budget.

kerrytraitor.jpgof our country.
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Great post Joe.

The kids today will probably have to take the piercings out of their noses and faces and they don't like that.

Besides, they will have to wear pants that actually fit and wear their hats on straight.

And, no more video games, music, cell phones, Brittany, etc......................
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Joe, no one has more respect for those who severed our country than I do. My issue right now is how large a military do we really need that a draft is needed? The military is a fine place for those who want to be there but probably something like a two or three year prison sentence for those who don't. I've interviewed hundreds of vets from as far back as WWI over the past 20+ years as part of my on going research for my book on US small arms and the best interview I ever had about the Army in general was from a fellow drafted in early 1944.

"I did not mind the war at all...it was the Army I could'nt stand!. Running when you could just as easily have walked. Standing out in the hot sun for an hour listening to or doing nothing of any importance when we could have just as easily sat in the shade. People yelling and screaming constantly about the most trivial nonsense. Doing things so inefficently that even the dumbest person in the platoon could easily devise a better way. Waste, waste, waste, everwhere you looked: wasted time, wasted effort, and wasted money...so much waste we could have simply paid off the Germans to quit the war with the money being wasted. People put in charge who in civilian life would not be allowed out of the house by themselves but in the Army they got a couple of stripes and then went over the deep end with power. People telling me how to make my bunk, how to brush my G-- Damned teeth...those A-holes even had instructions for us on washing and even managed to over complicate a trip to the toilet"! The man continued on for several more paprgraphs (It is fantastic stuff) and just to show I am not biased he did add "I made the best friends in the Army that I ever had in my life".

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:The kids today will probably have to take the piercings out of their noses and faces and they don't like that.

Ever wonder if a sneeze would have a shotgun-like effect?
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    IDS- I see a new weapon system for perimeter security- a bunch of kids with nose, lip and tongue piercings are placed shoulder to shoulder along the berm. In the concertina are packets of pepper that disperse when bumped, causing a mass sneeze- Claymores.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    People are afraid of a military draft because, and this is really important here, they see no reason for it.

Draft people for Iraq? What in the hell for? If Iraq was a threat to the United States' way of life, to our very existence, then I'm the King of Persia*.

*yes, I know Persia is now called Iran and even when the did have a monarchy, the post was called the "shah"... which is exactly my point.

We're not, as someone so eloquently put it, turning into a nation of candy @$$es. I would simply posit the theory that, after such essential wars as Grenada and Panama, we simply learned our lesson to NOT fight every time the president hits that time of the month.

I mean, if we're going to use World War II as an example, what was the point? Well, the point was that it was a struggle between the forces of good and evil... and if you can't tell me which is which, you've got a lot of problems.

But drafting millions of our sons and daughters so they can ensure the people of Fallujah can have a steady supply of targets seems a bit on the stupid side to me. After all, WMDs weren't found and those items that were deemed dangerous were left lying around because, as we all know, Iraqis are a peaceful people... an armory full of tons of hi-ex would undoubtedly take a backseat to all of the confectionaries and florists as the residents of Baghdad streamed in to ensure there were enough sweets to distribute to the liberating American troops.

But hey, dying isn't all that bad, especially for non-existent WMDs and non-existent ties to Al Qaeda. Just ask Bush. The war in Iraq hasn't bothered him a bit and from his own personal experience, a draft is something for the poor kids to worry about.
  • Options
    Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I served(U.S.Army 11c/11h 1980-1986) and I am damned proud of it. I joined with a little help from a judge and my grandfather at the age of 17. It changed my life for the good and it will change alot of others if given the chance. Sevice is mantadory in some countrys with very good results. We have way to many young'uns that know nothing about the sacrafice of many good men that gave their lifes to protect ther way of life as they have it now. YES bring back the draft or make it mantadory across the board for everyone(2 yr min) I am still very proud to have served my country and would go back at any time if needed. HIGH ANGLE HELL!

JBoss......Fear No Fish/peace through superior firepower
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in my opinion, the reason people are afraid of a draft is, they dont feel what they have is worth dieing for. it appears americans seem to have devalued freedom and EVERYTHING else associated with it. things outside america nowadays have EQUAL value, making what is american NOT unique, thus lesser value. the young generations havent seen what REALLY goes on outside the boarders and they arent afraid of who wants to take EVERYTHING we have for themselves. sad.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:So why with all the "gung ho" CCW people, home defence people, and shooters so damn worried about serving for their country in time of hostilities? Because someone may be shooting back at them?

Bingo. They love their country, just not enough to serve and possibly die for it.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    dheffley: x ring.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bobski--X-RING! Young Americans are so ethnocentric. They look at the rest of the world through USA-colored glasses and think that every country is just like ours. Dictatorial monsters and ethnic cleansings are just something you hear about in some third-world inconsequential country that nobody ever heard of. Most countries are pretty much just like ours. A mere trip to Mexico or Honduras for a few months would change their tunes and I'm not talking about one of those "eco-tours". I'm talking about living in a mountain village for a week where people truly live primitive lifestyles.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    The attitude of many younger people in this country today is: "What's in it for me?"

There's very little pride, patriotism or sense of sacrifice anymore. "Unless I'm going to personally profit from it, and profit quickly, then I ain't doing it."

Hey Munkee:
    I guess you think that a person's willingness to serve his country should be based on how he/she personally interprets the threat? Or maybe they should call and get YOUR expert opinion before enlisting or registering for the draft? Maybe the President should call you every day to make sure he's doing the right thing?

How'd you get to be so smart?

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    I don't think the threat of a draft even phases todays kids.

We've got an estimated 10 million people in our country illegally whom all could be terrorists for all we know and none of the same kids are worried about that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Red223--Kids today actually BELIEVE that going to Canada is a viable option--not a last resort for a C.O. I'm willing to bet that we'd have more fleeing to Canada in this decade than we did during the Viet Nam War.
  • Options
    Ol Grey GhostOl Grey Ghost Member Posts: 338 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am prepared to defend my home and family, my local community, and my State. I will not be forced into slavery to fight and possibly die fighting someone else's war on foreign soil and I will not allow my children or any of my neighbor's children to be sucked into this deadly "Black Hole." I served, I shot, I was shot at but at my own choice and fully understanding the risks involved except I didn't realize my own government would give me a disabling illness that I now have to suffer with the rest of my life. To think that you are doing the right thing by allowing yourself to be drafted or conscripted, abused through "basic training" because your skin is lighter colored than most of the cadre, and then shipped to a foreign land to kill people or be killed because someone who will never be in the line of fire wants to look brave is insanity. Young people who read this don't allow any recruiter to fill your minds of any idea of honor in serving your country. "War is Hell" and very messy. You will never get completely over what you may see if you "survive." Those mercenaries who want to be paid to fight and die, let them sign up. Until it's really a threat to my community, leave me and mine alone!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Young people who read this don't allow any recruiter to fill your minds of any idea of honor in serving your country.

That's right. DON'T ENLIST! Leave it up to the country folk and their Remington 700's and 870's if a fighting force is ever needed. Ignore the rest of the world and what is going on out there!

I see the gauntlet has been thrown down!

SSG idsman75

Duty, Honor Country
    Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you can be, what you ought to be, what you will be. They are your rallying points!

I'd say something about the Tree of Liberty but it would be redundant.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ghost: There's a piss poor philosophy.[xx(]

• Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Yeah, Ghost. I guess it's a good thing that folks didn't say that in the 1940s. We'd probably be goose-stepping around heiling Hitler right now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Until it's really a threat to my community, leave me and mine alone!

That's wonderfully French of you.

Rocklobster--He's been hanging out at www.objector.org too much
  • Options
    TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, I am 43. when I graduated from high school it was mandatory for
    us to file our selective service papers to get in to College or Tech schools.
    I did. I can say that I do regret that I did not join the service.
    I know my life would have been different.
    My father joined the US Navy at 16 and still a Canadian citizen.
    They helped him get his GED and when he left the Navy 4 years later he
    recieved his US citizenship.
    He spent his service in the Phillipians operating a radio station in the jungle, living with the natives.
    My oldest brother joined the army after he dropped out of college and spent 18 months in Vietnam.
    My other brother washed out of the Air Force, got a medical discharge.

I respect those that served and regret that I didn't.
    I beleive that a draft would be good for all our young men.
    Okay, yes I did say "young men". I do not beleive that women belong
    in combat situations.
    They could bring back the WACKS or the WAVES (may have speeled those wrong).
    If a young woman wants to join she could join one of those.
    I do not beleive we should draft women.

It is the liberals who do not want to see a draft and are pushing the scare.
    They want young people that they can lead as sheep and do not have a mind of thier own.

Nowhere in the U.S. Constitution does it state: "Seperation of Church and State".

"Those who beat their guns into plow shares; will plow for those who don't."

62038332.jpgawcountdown.gif

"Isaiah 5:20 ?Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Ghost,

When told to "bayonet up", I knew it was a fight we might not come back from. I did it out of loyality to my country and to my fellow Marines. I didn't question the order, nor did I refuse it. If I had, I would have fully expected to be shot by my fellow Marines. I doubt you would have survived.

You make me sick to my stomach you gutless wonder. Is "Ol Grey Ghost" the user name for John Kerry?

I respect a conscientious objector, and I detest a coward. Guess which one you are?

I don't believe you served anyone except yourself.

How you doin'!
    wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif

bumpersticker.gif

If the Army and the Navy
    Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
    They will find the streets are guarded by
    UNITED STATES MARINES!
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Fear of the Draft, Fear of a Police State, Fear of Guns, Fear of Democrates, Fear is Fear. If it is perceived it is real. If the all volunteer military fails to the point we need a draft we all better be afraid. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All very good points, and some more interesting than others...you decide who I am talking about.

As for fearing a draft, here are my thoughts....

1. Since the draft was 'abolished, for lack of a better term, we have raised almost two generations of "citizens" who have been brought up in an atmosphere of almost total permissiveness. Yes, they want all the rights and privelages of being a citizen of this country, yet want nothing to do with all the responsibilities and obligations.

2. At the same time, those two generations have grown up with, for the most part, little or no discipline in their lives. Look at how they dress, act, talk, and interact with the rest of society. Their attitude is that if there is nothing in it for them, they want nothing to do with it. I call it the yuppie syndrome...he who dies with the most toys, wins.

3. Our education processes have deteriorated to the point that if you want your child to get a good education, you have to home school or put them in a private school with highly regarded academics. Listen to the way kids of today speak. You can hardly understand them unless they tell you f*** off! That comes out really clearly. They have been raised on Dr. Spock, no spankings, no chores, and easy handouts from parents who probably love them, but really don't want to be bothered by them.

What they need is about 10-16 weeks under the watchful eye of some drill instructor who will make them do physical training, learn how ot make their bed, pick up their clothes, polish their shoes, and learn how to say 'yes sir and no sir.' I have a couple of DI's in mind, and I'm certain that there are many here who could highly recommend many more.

They also need to learn U.S. history...the real stuff, not the pablum, politically correct crap that serves as history as it taught by revisionist text books and liberal professors whose heads are so far up their rectal canal that they haven't sniffed oxygen in years. They need to work, as in manual labor, shovels, picks, push lawn mowers, chain saws, etc. Then maybe, just maybe they would know the real value of living in this country. I said MAYBE, but I don't see any turn around in them in the near future, sadly.

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
  • Options
    gonepostalgonepostal Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not many years ago the draft was designed to protect your home soil ,and only your home soil ,since world war1 it changed ,now you if the draft is reinstated you will go to what ever land the government chooses ,you will risk your life and well being fighting for a cause you might know nothing about ,the united states doesn't have a good track record in the last fifty years ,{desert storm was an exception} ,this current war is a joke ,ok sadam needed out ,but the name "Iraqi freedom" is bullsh! ,those savages do not deserve freedom ,they do not want freedom ,they like being able to have their religion the way they have for thousands of years ,freedom as we know it will be like us loosing ours

The draft would be a great thing ,mandatory service for all would teach some stability in the kids today ,but being you only have one life do you really want to be a pawn for a commander in Somalia trying to oust a general for a bunch of aids infected people that would kill you themselves if you turned your back ?, not me

I have one son ,I will not have any other ,I don't want him to be shipped home in a body bag ,or watch him burn in the streets of Baghdad while the ungrateful dance around his body

dhs-advisory-elevated.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "To think that you are doing the right thing by allowing yourself to be drafted or conscripted, abused through "basic training"...

Wow! I think I recognize you, Ghost. Aren't you the dude who cried himself to sleep in my Basic Training barracks every night back in 1968? [:D][:D]

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in my opinion, the reason people are afraid of a draft is, they dont feel what they have is worth dieing for. it appears americans seem to have devalued freedom and EVERYTHING else associated with it. things outside america nowadays have EQUAL value, making what is american NOT unique, thus lesser value. the young generations havent seen what REALLY goes on outside the boarders and they arent afraid of who wants to take EVERYTHING we have for themselves. sad.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    im not afraid, im actually leaning towards joining the military

GWB_logo_100.gifak.jpg01_american_flag.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder

"If the existing assault weapons ban expires, I personally do not believe it will make one whit of difference one way or another . . . So if it doesn't pass, it doesn't pass." Tom Diaz, Senior Policy Analyst, Violence Policy Center (VPC)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bobski--You okay tonight pardner? I saw your most recent post and experienced De Ja Vu until I scrolled back to the previous one. [:D]
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that Universal Service is a good idea. Not a draft, like we have always had. The difference? In a draft, you go if your number comes up, it's a lottery. You can get all sorts of exemptions. In Universal Service, everyone goes. Period. No rich daddies getting you into interceptor squadrons with no planes, no phony "Conscientious Objectors" whose objections seem to evaporate the day they are too old to be drafted, no getting 5 student deferments, taking only one class at a time that you don't show up for, and then knocking up your wife. Everyone serves, kids of the poor side by side with the kids of the elite, working together for the good of the Republic. It would be good for fostering democratic values, and the idea of service to the nation. It would unite a divided nation.

"Every child had a pretty good shot,
    To get at least as far as their old man got,
    But something happened on the way to that place,
    They threw an American flag in our face."
    -Billy Joel, "Allentown"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A coward am I now? Hang on a minute while I scratch the scar on my leg. Cried in my bunker in '68? I was still in grade school but I calmed the young officer's around when they were freaking under heavy fire and told them what orders to issue. Let me stop for a moment and look at my wall with all the medals for bravery on it as both my careers as a Police Officer and a Soldier in the U.S. Army. I am a member of the unofficial "800-meter Plus Club" for action when our troops were scared into deep hiding from a young man protecting his family's farm. You gentlemen need a course in Original Intent of the U.S. Constitution. Our soldiers are not supposed to be fighting other people's wars, they are supposed to be defending this country. Under the Second Amendment citizens have the "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" but they have the responsibility to answer for a call-out of their local Militia. This is not being drafted, conscripted, or otherwise forced to serve in our National Armed Forces unless they should choose to do so and then they have sworn to follow all the orders given them by their superiors. But young people should not be suckered into believing the battlefield is a "Place of Honor." And all those you have said that our young people somehow "deserve" to spend some time in boot camp, it's easy to see the NAZI's did win.

A hearty "Sieg Heil" to y'all,

The Ol' Grey Ghost

"It is not the position of Government to grant us our Rights for they are given to us by our Creator and predate the very existence of Government. The proper role of Government is to protect those rights."
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Wow, I think that was the first time that I ever heard anyone who earned a medal of any kind boast about it much less talk about having a wall full of them. I've been lucky enough to have spoken with men who won the Congressional Medal Of Honor and found them to be among the most reluctant to even acknowelege their acts of bravery...it was always someone else who REALLY deserved an award (usuall a dead buddy). Out of the hundreds of vets I've interviewed NOT ONE ever said "Let me show you my medals". This was a first.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mr. Christian:

Get a dictionary and a good book about debate and logic and read them and comprehend what you have read and then insult me (but that's too much work for you I'll bet).

The Ol Grey Ghost

"If you can't fool all the people all of the time, why do we still have elections?"
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Ol Grey Ghost

TROLL TIME

bumpersticker.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Excuse me, is this supposed to mean something?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No insult intended, I was simply stating that this was the first time this had ever happened in my own experience. In fact I can't honestly recall any of our vets here on Gun Broker ever mentioning any decorations or medals which they earned in the servce, although I'm sure that many of our members have earned medals for bravery (maybe not a wall full however) underfire since we have several combat vets on our board. Also, we tend to have a rather relaxed attitude about spelling here because if we get too strict many of our members would be reluctant to post since spelling is not everyone strong suit (especially mine). This is an opinion forum so we are more interested in what people have to say rather than how they manage to say it.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    From my limited experience, the draft provided a needed leavening of people whose ideas were starkly different from the career military. It also, as said earlier, gave the young men a place to grow up and, at the same time, learn about the world and broaden their perspectives. A New Yorker living day to day with a Texan ended up learning about each other and respecting the other's point of view.

When 'Nam came along, the elite realized that one could get killed over there and, having the silver spoons, decided that college deferments, the National Guard, and Canada/France/England were the better choices. This gave the burden, as usual, to the middle and lower classes to pull the load. They resented it and the military recognizing, that there would be a morale problem if the draft continued, switched over to the volunteer.

Without the draft it makes it easier for the politicans to use military force because they well know the folks ain't going to say much. Iraq is beginning to show that the force structure is again calling upon the middle class to pick up the load (just check how many children of our congressmen, senators, administration officials are in the miitary today).

If this country is going to commit its military forces, it had better darn well make sure the people agree with its employment of force. One way to ensure that would be to demand a declaration of war prior to sending troops off (our Congress ducked the issue and gave "authorization" to Bush so if the fan and bag met, they could deny having any responsibility for the consequences.)

I'd be in favor of a UNIVERSAL draft--poor, middle class, elites (no deferments for any reason) for 18-24 months. Enough of my rambling.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

BUSH AND CHENEY--NO MORE YEARS!