In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why are so many afraid of a draft .

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here you go joe.

97B- Counter intelligence agent

71M- Chaplains' assistant.

I'm not sure I understand how you joined as an E-4 and retired as an E-4? You also are quick to point out that nobody else is listing resumes' here on GB. Sometimes it does come up around here but not in a manner of beating our chests and telling one another that they are better than the other guy. Here you will find both officer and enlisted, from all branches of the service, both active and veteran, and people who have covered and fought in every corner of the world, as well as many civilians on here who have nothing but kind words for those who serve, or served. So we're all real sorry you didn't get to approve of our military resumes' but nobody on here needs your approval, however you sound like you need ours.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    joe: quote: Pardon me to all hell and gone. Just what is a MOS 97B and a 71M?
    Only MOS I know is 745 (Infantry Rifleman) . Lucky to remember my own.
    Now I understand it is a MOS 11 B. (?) Joe, the MOS 97B is counterintelligence and 71M is Chaplain. So I guess our Ghost (as in Holy?) was an undercover chaplain seeking out those pretending to be Christians. [;)][}:)]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

BUSH AND CHENEY--NO MORE YEARS!

And don't forget that he spent 5 years as an E-4. WTH? Is that even possible? Only way I can think of it happening is if he was busted down a bunch of times.

Also, he was in grade school in '68, yet he has a grandchild now?
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like O.G.G. was a real bad-*zz CID agent. "Yeah...let me take that $10K piece of equipment and depreciate it to $999 so that I can dump it off on MPI. Yeah......I can see it now.

To those that dropped out of high school for whatever reason and are snivling in your sleeves. You can join with a GED if you can score a 50 or better on the ASVAB during certain times of the year. You just can't have a criminal record that would require a waiver for enlistment. It's open in certain areas of the country (i.e. areas that are traditionally "hurting" for enlistments). If your local recruiting offices have no problem hiring high school grads then you won't get in. Fly out to my neck of the woods and I'll put you in with a GED if you don't have a criminal history (including juvenile record--yes, they will find it).

The only thing the military knows about you is your past. They have to write entrance requirements and regulations to take that into consideration. They have to minimize risk and wash-outs. They see a GED as a mark of someone that couldn't handle a classroom environment. I've spent a significant amount of my time in a classroom learning something new. The military doesn't want someone who only has potential to be a Private. They want someone who at least has the potential to be an NCO at a minimum. Why would they spend all that money training someone who has no potential to be promoted past E-4? It's all about accountability to the taxpayer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ids: Are you a recutier? I tried to get in to the AF twice and the Army once. Had lasik surgery for my eyes. Army recuiter I talked to said I would have made it in, except my eyes changed prescription since the time of the sugery, however they have not changed since then. Any recuiters got info on this?[?]
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just had a E mail from ol grey ghost which told me nothing. Dont know
    "why me". Didnt tell me anything worthwhile or really explain. However,
    before getting down off my soapbox:: For some damn stupid reason ww2
    vets "seem" to be put in high esteem. It aint really true. To most of
    us ww2 vets all wars/conflicts are equal and faced the same things
    when in combat. Only the faces and names have changed from time to time. We all simply did our jobs and paid the price. This will never change. Not one war or conflict was less important than the other.
  • Options
    beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm opposed to any draft now. It would be to fight in foreign wars where the security of this country is not threatened. Bush wouldn't fight in a foreign war, why should my boys? I'm voting for Bush and I know he is not asking for a draft but I just wanted it known I oppose any draft at the present time. The rich will worm out of it and the poor will die.

Bruce
    23d Infantry Division
    RVN 1970-71
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Not going back through the posts to see who was commenting about getting into the military after having raised his family; I was told several years ago that there is an age limit, calculated by: necessary to have 20 years of service by age 50. so it would seem to me that if someone is over 30 and has no years of service, that he would be ineligible to enlist. Is this still the case?
  • Options
    Ol Grey GhostOl Grey Ghost Member Posts: 338 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Grief! I propose the theory that a Draft is Unconstitutional and disruptive to a free society (people in New York agreed with me during the Lincoln administration and they rioted) and I am called a 16-year-old coward (I'm closer to 66 than 16 and the "Grey" has a meaning). I present my credentials not to be called a coward, namely I voluntarily served, and I am called a liar. I present as much of my credentials as I think best to invalidate your claim that I'm a liar and I am now a delusional lunatic. What bothers me the most is that my family, friends, former co-workers, and former supervisors know I am telling the truth and you people don't believe me and you might own guns (the Hebrew portion of me is starting to smell gas). I thank every veteran that ever served, whether forced or volunteers, and especially those I see at the local V.A. hospital who lost a little more than their self-esteem during their service to their country (my father suffered for years with muscle and skin problems that nearly drove him mad after his return from Viet-Nam). And I truly thank those who paid the ultimate sacrifice (my maternal grandfather was KIA during WWII when his B-17 was shot down over France).

But the best theory of those who even present one that we need a draft is just because those snotty-nosed punks hanging out at the local mall with their pants that won't stay up and a thousand earrings and other piercings I wouldn't think were humanly possible DESERVE two months in boot camp or two years in military service to straighten their sorry butts up. But to whose straight line? Why not just pass a law allowing some of you to beat these hooligans about the head and face with a golf club. Like George Carlin says, "Nothing motivates people faster, at least to put their socks on."

What if we turn the situation around and the kids are in charge and you have to dress like them even when its not halloween. You have to listen to their music at the VOLUME THEY DECIDE TO PLAY IT AT!!! I think most of you may oppose this.

But let me go down another avenue. If we are doing this because it is "for the good of the children" then why don't we outlaw FIREARMS! Hey, you know what they say, "13 children die each day in America from gunshot wounds" and "people who live in a home where there is a firearm are 43 times more likely to be killed in that home than those people who live in a home with no firearms around" (at my home that might be 43 squared). I hope I have gotten a few neurons firing in some of y'all's heads with that one.

But do we need a draft to protect our Homeland? 2 million Active-duty personnel, nearly a million law officers, and 100+ million gunowners who wouldn't mind taking out a "Raghead" firing an AK-47 into a crowded school playground might be enough. With the Second Amendment the people of the United States have the Right to own firearms (any and all that can get the job done) but what is missed by most is the responsibility to report for a call-up of the Militia. Any and all able-bodied males of age (different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction) are required to report with their own weapons and ammunition to protect their community (but not overseas).

Should Bush have sent forces to Afghanistan? After the F.B.I. and NYPD had investigated and sought warrants for those involved and then send two agents and two NYPD detectives to serve the warrants with the whole power of the United States armed forces backing them up and arrest anyone who interfered with service of the warrant (pretty well what happened) good with me. Attack Iraq? None of the evidence available to the public shows that our forces should have gone in and "bringing Democracy to the world" by the use of deadly force seems a little hypocritical. Should the soldiers who volunteered to serve in our military knowing full well the obligations of their "contract" with the government whine to Michael Moore's cameramen about their duty in Iraq? They need to shut up and get their job done.

I've been writing for years about people's rights and liberties in this country, particularly in regards to Gun Control. I visit GunBroker.com for some good deals on firearms and accessories (I've even bought a gun for my grandson but he's not old enough to hold his own bottle yet but when he would be old enough I'm sure the price will have gone up so I am buying ahead) and I take a look at this forum and put in my two cents and I hope I got a few people thinking. If you don't want me to E-mail you, especially when you ask a direct question, then take your address off of your profile. It was optional remember, your choice (something some of you want to deny other people). If any want to read any of my other work, just put "The Ol' Grey Ghost" in your favorite Internet search engine and you should find a few websites that have archived my work.

God bless and keep y'all safe (yes, even you sadistic S.O.B's),

The Ol' Grey Ghost
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So you were 30 when you were in grade school? No wonder you were an E-4 for 5 years.
  • Options
    mauser_centralmauser_central Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Just let me thank you guys for the new Ford Freestar Mini-van adapted to assist my wife in getting me in and out of the vehicle with room for my new wheelchair. Thanks for paying for my wife to be my primary health provider so she doesn't have to work outside the home and worry about me at the same time. My neighbor's son thanks you for paying him to mow and take care of my lawn. Let me really thank you for the ADA adapted bedroom and bathroom that will be built on soon so that I can around better (but before anyone rips me for trying the pity route, you folks are the last people I would want any from and I don't need any; I intend to live a long full life to enjoy you guys paying for all this as long as possible). These thanks are of course only if you pay taxes.

Ghost, If you got all those things paid for I'd sure as hell like to know how . I've been in a chair for 10 years and the goverment nor the State has done squat for me. pardon me I'm wrong i get a check 1 time a month for less than a blue collar working man makes in a week. I'd really like to know the loop holes you know about.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe
    ~ Jesus Christ [Luke 11:21.6]

Mauser Central

MidwayUSA, if your not signed up for the Eblast alerts you are missing some great deals !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just recived an email from "Gray". I smell BS. He said I'm trying to get information about his back account?[?] WTH? I'll just stick to reading his dumbazz posts.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    This story is more convoluted and smelly than my duodenum, and getting more so by the minute.

"Our finest tribute to our fallen dead would be to convince their sons that we were not Rambo and neither are they. -Gus Hasford
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Everybody's a hero on the internet.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A different time. Our young your kin and mine, have been taught
    that it is more important to protect their useless a**** than
    sacrifice life or limb at their countrys call. I tried to enlist in the 2nd world war after pearl harbor when I had just turned 11. A good friend and classmate
    went in when he was 12,another 13 and still another 15. the 12
    yr. old was the only one I knew that returned. Had he not lost his
    left arm he would have probably died on foreign soil also. todays youth principally because of their librel non- violent teachings
    would in all likelyhood run off to canada in case of a draft. then wait patiently until some other jimmy do nothing carter pardoned their cowardly a** and welcomed them back into the land of the
    free, that they didn't feel was worth defending.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Being the 22 year old college student that I am, the thought of a draft makes me a little nervous. I've got some buddies in Iraq as we speak, one in Fallujah, and the other at Camp Victory. I'm very proud of them as you can imagine. This is my view on the draft, if it got to the point where they needed me, then they'll have me. I'm not afraid to serve our country, and would be there if called upon. For the meantime I'm staying in college, where I've been doing pretty good. I'm majoring in criminal justice and hope to work on a federal level someday. I do not fear the draft. My Grandfather served in the Navy during WWII, and sailed all over the south pacific. He didn't wait for them to draft him, he joined up willingly. The day he departed to boot camp, he married my Grandmother in a gas station. He kissed the bride and then got on the bus. I have great respect for him, and would follow in his footsteps if in a heartbeat.

reloaded.gifflushjohns.gif You are knuckle-dragging ape with a gun.
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beeramid
    Be thankful that you had caring parents,as I was so fortunate in having. God knows there are many your age and this you well know,
    that are virtually television orphans and have had to rear themselves
    ,i hate to admit some kin to me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you guys are consistent at anything so far is that you are terribly evasive. I'm called on the carpet to give details of my military service and I provide what I think was necessary and I am berated for asking the same. I try to clear up details with some of you more vocal sadists and I am berated for *-pen's inability to read and comprehend the English language. More insults from Low-lifer and Bullzitin-the-eye but still no real argument for your position. No one raises a logical argument against my position that a Draft, Conscription, and Slavery is contrary to the Constitution of the United States. Everbody else boasts of their intention to sign up when we really need them but they are still too busy at this time so they will wait till the fecal matter strikes the oscillating blade. I have proposed the same under the auspices of the Constitutional concept of the Militia and I'm full of shot (and Bullzit if your having strong smelly odors coming from the organ you mentioned I strongly recommend you seek professional medical help).

I give you all one more time and then I must conclude that I am correct and you all are losers.

Enjoy the Election and may the lesser evil win,

The Ol' Grey (please note the proper English spelling) Ghost

"Fools care nothing for reason but only in expressing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
  • Options
    sr338sr338 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    regarding the original topic, I don't really think the majority of 22 year old college students are afraid of the draft. I fit that category, so do most of my friends and we're not afraid of it; the "threat" of a draft didn't infuence my vote at all.
    Seriously, if your country asks you to lend a hand, you go. Period.

I only hope they would let me bring my m1a instead of some hand-me-down m16. Unless it's tin cans we're shooting, .308 over .223 any day of the week!

john kerry, out to prove he's got nothing to prove.
  • Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Because they are cowards!

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

Never argue with an idiot...They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
  • Options
    meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have said this before, not on this board, however.

I thought about joining the Marines while in college. Decided to take a different path.

However, if there was ever a case of a draft coming into effect (I'm too old to draft now) I would volunteer.

"Sometimes love makes you selfish. Sometimes it just makes you stupid. Sometimes it reminds you why you love your gun."
    - Anita Black
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Most young american men and women would go if called. Many would join without being called if there was a need. I am against a draft, but if there is one, I expect all who are called to answer that call as I did.

This POS is an obvious liar and does not understand that is was those who were called and answered that call that stopped "slavery" as he put it in his original reply.

quote:to fight someone elses war

If America is at war, and you're an American, it's your war moron!

You are an obvious liar, an obvious coward, and who knows what else. You were never in the Army, and I doubt you were ever a cop. Those guys are the guys who run towards "shots fired". You would turn tail and say, "that's someone elses war, not mine".

You've stumbled over every step of your story, and those of us who know, know you have made it all up. I truely suspect you are a young troll who wants to present himself as something he's not. Doesn't work here. The people here who have shed blood for their country don't like liars who claim to have done so and haven't. Those here who have never served, respect those who have and the sacrafices they have made.

Once you have been exposed as a liar, we can't believe or trust anything you say. We get people like you about once or twice a year, and they are always exposed up front.

You want to be a member of this board? Get a new user name and come back as an honest person, no BS. We will then listen to you and respect your views even if we don't agree. But, don't come in here spreading lies and making yourself up to be an internet persona that you aren't.

In otherwords, GROW UP.[:(!]

How you doin'!
    wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif

bumpersticker.gif

If the Army and the Navy
    Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
    They will find the streets are guarded by
    UNITED STATES MARINES!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just right!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Okay Mr. Heffley, you obviously need better glasses. Your inability to comprehend American English is what gives you your distorted view of reality. I am who I am and I have done everything I've related to you bunch of Cretans (if Neil Armstrong walked into your living room and told you he had been to the moon, you would probably not believe him either) as some of you have requested. To hell with it. What bothers me most about you is we are from the same State and you should understand how Texans feel about being called liars and cowards (of course it has been my experience that liars will call those who speak the truth liars to cover their own lies). And I don't need your permission to write on this forum.

But again you use your usual tools of insult and derision and I must sink to this level so that you can better understand me. No reasonable or justifiable argument has been presented to disprove my thesis that a Draft is unconstitutional therefore I win the debate. So why should people fear a Draft? Not because of being involved in combat; that can happen at any moment on the streets of America as I full well know. Because of military service? Well, technically speaking, our standing Army and Air Force are unconstitutional but they get through the loophole of being reapproved by Congress every two years (since FDR). Military service can be a fulfilling career for those who want to be there but is definately not for everyone and forcing some to be there and kick them out after a few days and leave them with a bad resume for the rest of their life is not exactly fair.

No, the biggest thing to fear about a Draft is that the Federal Government of the United States is overstepping the bounds and restrictions placed upon it by the very document that formed it. Allowing a Draft makes allowance for Gun Control, "Twinkie Taxes," and the outlawing of any speech the government did not approve of before hand. I'm sorry for all those who were called into duty through a draft and if anyone is deserving of "Reparations for Slavery" it will be y'all. But because you were wrongly forced to serve is no reason to thrust the same injustice upon the next generations. You people claim to have fought for the freedom these young people enjoy and you want to take it away from them for their own good? Now you are only seeking revenge on the wrong people.

This little diversion from my usual schedule has been interesting but now some of you have made it boring and tedious so I'll move onto to bigger and better things and let y'all continue to engage in whatever activities you deem necessary to boost your self-esteem over your inadequate manhood. Mr. Heffley, since we live in the same State (though it's a big 'un) maybe you can give me a place to meet with you and prove to you I am who I say I am. Then you will be responsible for coming back to this forum and telling everyone that you, and others, were wrong. My E-mail address is already posted and can be found on my user profile if you missed it.

With as much respect as I can dig up for some of you,

The Ol' Grey Ghost
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Spew your stuff. Your own words proved you were a liar, I just called you on it.

If you are from Texas (who knows, a liar will say anything) you are a discrace to the state.

I'm in the book, so feel free to look me up. I'll tell you face to face what an old Marine thinks of a liar and a "wanna' be" soldier.

Post here all you want. You've been exposed as a liar by you own words and no one is going to take anything you say seriously.

As far as a coward, you must be if you don't have the guts to follow a direct order and fight, or to refuse to serve your country if called.

Liar, coward, and troll. I said it, and I believe it.

The only thing that would change my mind would be to see your DD214.

Oh, that's right, you don't have one!

How you doin'!

bumpersticker.gif

If the Army and the Navy
    UNITED STATES MARINES!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And which book would that be, you old Jarhead? My dictionary (that's a book if you needed help with that point) has the words moron, idiot, and imbecile in it but they don't have pictures so I can know what you look like. Maybe I should check TDCJ and see if they have any photographs (that's a picture of you made by a camera) of you and information of your current whereabouts. Maybe a check with TCIC will help me as you sound like one who should have outstanding warrants (that's written orders from a judge that you be picked up by law enforcement personnel or anyone designated by the judge) and it can help with your last known address (that's the numbers on your house combined with the name of the street you live on in the city where you hang out).

"Tell a lie big enough and often enough and it becomes the truth." Sorry, doesn't float with me. You call me a liar and a coward which is not the truth therefore you are the liar and since you don't want to take the chance to face facts to prove you are wrong, you are the coward. Since I suspect you are already suffering from senile dementia then you should already be "grown up" but you are certainly beginning to digress. Your immaturity is pathetic for a man who supposedly served his country "bravely" because he was too stupid to realize he had rights that were being violated. Wise up and learn to live free or all your supposed fighting to be free was a big waste of time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Humm... I guess the state missed all of that good information when they did the background check for my CHL. I'm in the book in Lewisville, Texas if you wish to look me up. I have many personal friends here if you want to check with them to see if I'm real. I don't hide behind a fictional charactor on the internet like you do.

How you doin'!

bumpersticker.gif

If the Army and the Navy
    UNITED STATES MARINES!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kindly toddle off to the Professional Hand-wringer's website. Nothing but gun-owning MEN here.

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Well to get back to the topic, I don't think many are afraid of the draft. I believe that it is political propaganda designed to get young people out to vote; however, I don't think the young people really believe that there is going to be a draft any time soon. Would I be afraid if I was going to be drafted??? I'd probably crap myself, go get drunk, wake up and have to be reminded why I got drunk, then crawl my * onto the bus like the rest of the responsible men my age. So, I'm not afraid of the draft or of the possibility of being drafted. But, actually being drafted would probably be a big douse of cold water.

Ben(who doesn't like Canadian Politics, doesn't want to go back to school, and damn sure isn't getting married any time soon!!!)

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, Jarhead, that's too stinkin' far for me to be driven just to argue with a man whose mind is made up and facts will only confuse him. Let me know the next time you're in the Waco area and I'll meet you at the Mt. Carmel Branch Davidian Memorial. You bring your gun and I'll bring my gun and we'll all have a nice polite conversation. And I've told y'all to look my pseudonym "The Ol' Grey Ghost" (type it in just like that with the quotation marks) up on any of your favorite Internet Search Engines (these are those websites where you can find information about things) and 'poof' you will be directed to a few websites where some of my earlier work is archived. Boing! Right before my pseudonym is my real full name. Ain't nobody here hiding behind a fictional name because I've told you all to do this before and you didn't want to waste the time. And Jarhead you must be suffering a terrible case of hemmoroids with Lowlifer (there's someone hiding) having his nose in your * orifice because he seems to follow every one of your posts with some asinine one-liner. Geez, Lowlife get a job and a real life instead of hanging at the mall trying to pick up teeny-boppers or do you do it over the Internet?

Ben, you're right, everybody back to topic. I've made my point.

The Ol' Grey Ghost
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any chance they would draft all those zillions of illegals we got in this country? Doubt it, not to sound overly racist, but it would be the white kids that are drafted to go fight for oil.

If there is/was a draft, I'd go re-enlist.

Any of you that think you are too old, I hear the Coast Guard Auxilary is taking guys into their late 50's, early 60's. Had a buddy, old Vietnam Vet get called up active duty as a Cost Guard Axillary in the south for the hurricanes.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Where are Ghost Buster's when you need them[?]

ghost.jpg

bumpersticker.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By your own words, Ghost, I was in the Army (1968) when you were still in grade school. You were probably still wetting the bed at that time.

Get a job? [:D] I'll compare incomes with you any time you want.

Go away, poser. [xx(]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Well Lowlifer, I had to reread all my posts to find where the heck you say I claim to have been in the service in 68' while I was in grade school. Possibly my fault or your inability to read (they have programs to help you with that in most public school systems). Let me try again in smaller words so you get it right this time.

In '68 (this is on the presumption we are refering to the 20th Century) I was in grade school. Stop. But I (have) calmed down officers (during my time in service; none of your business for details) who were freaking under fire. Stop. (Does this clear things up for you?)

No one can serve in the U.S. Army until they reach the age of 18 or 17 if they have their parent's permission and no one can sign up for their first time after the age of 35 (these were the rules in effect when I enlisted). If one had a bachelor's degree or other special skill that the Army wanted bad enough (like being polylingual-this means that someone can speak more than one language) one entered the Army as Specialist Pay Grade E-4. I didn't try for Sergeant E-5 because my intention was to become a Warrant Officer but my career was cut short due to illness and I was medically boarded and retired.

It is a touch funny you have been under the ludacrous assumption that I served while in grade school because I was an Army "Brat" and as any other "Brat" can tell you the family serves (or at least suffers) as much as the actual Servicemember.

Well onto bigger and better things,

The Ol' Grey Ghost

"It is not the measure of a man of how much money he makes but how he uses it."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ol Grey Ghost
    Well, Jarhead, that's too stinkin' far for me to be driven just to argue with a man whose mind is made up and facts will only confuse him. Let me know the next time you're in the Waco area and I'll meet you at the Mt. Carmel Branch Davidian Memorial. You bring your gun and I'll bring my gun and we'll all have a nice polite conversation. And I've told y'all to look my pseudonym "The Ol' Grey Ghost" (type it in just like that with the quotation marks) up on any of your favorite Internet Search Engines (these are those websites where you can find information about things) and 'poof' you will be directed to a few websites where some of my earlier work is archived. Boing! Right before my pseudonym is my real full name. Ain't nobody here hiding behind a fictional name because I've told you all to do this before and you didn't want to waste the time. And Jarhead you must be suffering a terrible case of hemmoroids with Lowlifer (there's someone hiding) having his nose in your * orifice because he seems to follow every one of your posts with some asinine one-liner. Geez, Lowlife get a job and a real life instead of hanging at the mall trying to pick up teeny-boppers or do you do it over the Internet?

Ben, you're right, everybody back to topic. I've made my point.

The Ol' Grey Ghost

Well, since Mt. Calm is very near there, and I have relatives at Mt. Calm, Maybe we can meet.

Bring a gun? For someone in a wheelchair? Even I'm not that cruel.

I will tell you this. Don't attempt to threaten me because you will find out that you have messed with the wrong daddy. Email me at deheffley@verizon.net and I'll be glad to set up a meeting with you. And bring that DD214 when you do. Show it to me, and I'll get back on line and tell everyone here I was wrong.

You tripped on your own lip, so just suck it up an realize that your lack of knowledge of the military is your own undoing. Next time you want to pretend to be someone, do a little research.

How you doin'!

bumpersticker.gif

If the Army and the Navy
    UNITED STATES MARINES!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lowrider
    "To think that you are doing the right thing by allowing yourself to be drafted or conscripted, abused through "basic training"...

Wow! I think I recognize you, Ghost. Aren't you the dude who cried himself to sleep in my Basic Training barracks every night back in 1968? [:D][:D]

Look familiar, Ghost? Page one, it was. Now WHO has the reading comprehension problem?

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reading these post to take my mind off the elction and find them amusing. I did however come upon the realization that Mr. Ghost, thru his own words, (because he was in grade school in 68 and the fact that he is 66 now), he was 22 years old while in grade school. No wonder no promotions. Also, all his service was in North and South America but has a wall of medals for his Valor. Just some museings to tittilate you guys. Don[:D][}:)][}:)][:D]

"I would not mind being the last man on earth just to see if all those girls were telling me the truth"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's what I came to as well Don. Like I said: Bad Fiction. [;)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mr Heffley:

I will be in touch with you shortly.

Lowlifer:

I read your crap. I had to review my "crap" to see if I had made some "typicalgraphical error" which it appears I might have left things open for ridiculous interpretations. Worry about your own reading comprehension skills as mine are fine.

Mr. DefCon:

I never said I was 66. I am closer to 66 than 16. One should guard the details of one's personal information to protect against identity theft. Such criminals do not need to fool you into giving them your account numbers, credit card numbers, and other such personal identifiers. Your last name and the year you were born is enough for some people I have worked with to draw up a full readout of everything about you stored on any computer in the world and these persons did so with no more special gear than you can buy at your local Wal-Mart. When relating details about my personal life on such forums, I use very general terms. Sometimes criminals familiar with these computer processes will goad you with insults into "proving" something to them like "what unit were you assigned to, who was your CO, what year were you stationed there" (look familiar) and you might slip just enough for them to dig their claws into your savings account.

One more time, I am not 16 nor 66, but I am closer to 66 than I am to sixteen. Want to take a guess at my age? E-mail me with your guess and your name, address, telephone number, your date of birth, and if you are right I will send you $5.00 (if you do business through or with PayPal I will make it an instant payment if that's more convenient for you). Just photocopy, along with your E-mail, your Driver's License to confirm that you are who you say you are.

Anything else I need to clear up?

The Ol' Grey Ghost
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Mr. Ghost, but from what I read in your post you did not have a leg to stand on. Don[}:)]

"I would not mind being the last man on earth just to see if all those girls were telling me the truth"
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been several studies that have shown that our all-volunteer force is more efficient and effective than in days when the draft was imposed. They show that volunteer troops are generally better motivated and better prepared than those who are in the military solely to fulfill a draft commitment.

If this is the case, why are so many here willing to compromise military readiness by reinstituting the draft???

It seems most people here advocate reinstituting the draft as a form of social engineering...to instill their view of patriotism in what they view as a wayward younger generation.
    In addition to the duties involved in humanitarian missions, playing "international police officer" and genuine defense of US interests, why do so many of you want to saddle our military forces with the additional duty of "national babysitter"???

For those who claim that reinstituting the draft is a good idea and yet claim they like lower taxes, who would pay for all the draftees? To be able to afford them, you'd have to drastically increase taxes, or you'd have to cut pay and benefits across the board for those who voluntarily sign up and those who are drafted...which would INEVITABLY demoralize those who volunteered for service. Does that really sound like a bright idea?