In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Survivalist86

Comments

• quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could happen, I guess.[:)] but it didnt. I dont think i would keep magnesium in or near my safes incase of a house fire. Insurance wont cover that, I'd bet.

Thats kinda like the time I had a flying opossum go wizzing over my jeep. One in a million. This actually happened.
    edited November -1
    Survivalist86 Posted - 05/14/2009 : 6:53:03 PM
    That was my safe. All of my firearms were in there, along with 5 lbs of magnesium bars. I was moving it on a flatbed truck and it was struck by lightening. Destroyed all of my firearms, and burned for 2 hours...due to the magnesium.

Survivalist86 Posted - 05/14/2009 : 10:46:32 PM

quote:
    Originally posted by idahordnk

And why do you need Magnesium bars? Huh Ford Is now building their core supports out of magnesium, and I had to take a special class on how to weld around it so again, I say, why do you need magnesium bars in your gun safe WTH

It is a long story, but I ended up with 5-one pound bars. Have you never been in a swapping situation and ended up with some crazy crap? Well, that is how I ended up with it. I figured it was valuable so I kept it in the safe.
    [:0][:0][:0]
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Majik!

AT
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it is funny that everyone who says they will "give em the ammo first" is scared to death that Uncle will know they have firearms :)
    [:D][}:)]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    Hey Survivalist86, That is incredible. Do you have any more photos of the safe? Did you loose the flatbed also? And were you around Odessa when it happened?

I witnessed a large live oak tree get hit in my pasture one day. I was standing in the barn during a thunderstorm looking out over the pasture when a bolt hit the tree. It was amazing. The tree appeared to explode. A few weeks later I went to cut up the tree. You could see a burn mark all the way down the "heart" of the trunk. (it split the trunk all of the way to the ground). Also the tree was like cutting butter. Someone told me it was because all of the sap was cooked out of the tree when hit, and this made the wood soft after it dried. Anyway I cannot imagine being in the truck when your safe was hit. I bet you had to change shorts afterwards.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    A lot of folks sure are concerned about my misfortune. One mans misery must sure be another mans entertainment.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I heard it was magnesium, and thinking about your screenname, it seem to make sense to me. I assumed you had it for quick easy fire building and maybe as expiermental material.

Guess I was wrong.

Something else you may want to avoid in the future, aluminium shavings. They will burn a hole in concrete too if decide to set spark to a big enough pile.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    When I heard it was magnesium, and thinking about your screenname, it seem to make sense to me. I assumed you had it for quick easy fire building and maybe as expiermental material.

Guess I was wrong.

Something else you may want to avoid in the future, aluminium shavings. They will burn a hole in concrete too if decide to set spark to a big enough pile.

Brass alluminum shavings mixed with smokeless! A bad fire does make. I'm just saying.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    And still no pic.[V]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    And still no pic.[V]

h-effect030.jpg
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86
    That was my safe. All of my firearms were in there, along with 5 lbs of magnesium bars. I was moving it on a flatbed truck and it was struck by lightening. Destroyed all of my firearms, and burned for 2 hours...due to the magnesium.

The bars would have only burned until the oxygen was burned up inside the safe. Even magnesium needs oxygen to burn and will go out as soon as it's depleted which would happen quickly in a safe. What kept them going?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley

The bars would have only burned until the oxygen was burned up inside the safe. Even magnesium needs oxygen to burn and will go out as soon as it's depleted which would happen quickly in a safe. What kept them going?

Sorry to disagree, but magnesium will burn under water. It produces its own O2 as a byproduct of combustion.
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker5656
    Originally posted by Survivalist86

its a special rubber that goes around the door of a safe, it expands when heated, but magnesium burns far far hotter than a regular fire and could have melted the rubber in seconds and burned right through the metal. he did have several bars 5Pd's worth so i could see it as plausible. Wounder if he tried water as a way to put it out cause the water would have made it worse.
    edited November -1
    Sorry to disagree, but magnesium will burn under water. It produces its own O2 as a byproduct of combustion.

It will burn under water, but only because it can burn so hot that the water turns to gas and the oxygen from the h2o will feed it.

Magnesium is hard to burn when in a solid bar, but easy in a powdered or shaved form. It can burn in an oxygen, nitrogen or carbon dioxide atmoshpere, but as soon as it has burned up it atmosphere, it burns out. If you spray it with water, it will boil it to a gas immediately and use the gases for a new atmoshpere, but cover it with sand and choke that atmosphere, and it will go out. The same is true if it is inside a contained area like a 20 cubic foot safe. It would only have maybe 180 seconds of atmosphere to burn.

Also, if it were to ignite in a solid form and burn (doubtful) and if it did have a feeding atmosphere (not likely inside a safe) it still couldn't heat the air to the temperature to melt steel above it like the surrounding safe. The best it could do would be to burn a hole in the bottom of the safe (the place where it was sitting) and fall out. It could never do what you show as the picture if it was inside the safe, even with an atmosphere.

I have machined magnesium for years and we are required to be trained and certified to cut it. That training include demonstrations hf how it burns, how to extinguish it, and what damage it will do.

Your story is a good one, but it's just that, a story. What you describe could never have produced what you see in that picture.
    edited November -1
    its a special rubber that goes around the door of a safe, it expands when heated, but magnesium burns far far hotter than a regular fire and could have melted the rubber in seconds and burned right through the metal. he did have several bars 5Pd's worth so i could see it as plausible. Wonder if he tried water as a way to put it out cause the water would have made it worse.

Do you know how hard it is to ignite solid bars of magnesium! Powdered or shaved is easy, but solid bars are difficult!

And, it cannot heat the air above it to the level to make steel molten. It can burn through the steel it sits on, but not steel above it.

Lastly, there is not enough atmosphere inside a 20 cubic foot safe to support combustion for long enough to burn through the seal around the door. You are talking a matter of a few minutes at best, and nowhere near long enough to turn that amout of steel into a moulten state.

Magnesium in solid forms is melted to a moulten state for casting without burning, and is welded in industry every day. Solid magnesium is hard to burn!

Sorry, it's not possible.
    edited November -1
    its a special rubber that goes around the door of a safe, it expands when heated, but magnesium burns far far hotter than a regular fire and could have melted the rubber in seconds and burned right through the metal. he did have several bars 5Pd's worth so i could see it as plausible. Wonder if he tried water as a way to put it out cause the water would have made it worse.

Do you know how hard it is to ignite solid bars of magnesium! Powdered or shaved is easy, but solid bars are difficult!

And, it cannot heat the air above it to the level to make steel molten. It can burn through the steel it sits on, but not steel above it.

Lastly, there is not enough atmosphere inside a 20 cubic foot safe to support combustion for long enough to burn through the seal around the door. You are talking a matter of a few minutes at best, and nowhere near long enough to turn that amout of steel into a moulten state.

Magnesium in solid forms is melted to a moulten state for casting without burning, and is welded in industry every day. Solid magnesium is hard to burn!

My opinion is that when a few hundred thousand volts of lightening struck the safe, that was probably enough to ignite it. I am not an electrical expert. All I know is it destroyed all my firearms, including my pride and joy...My Kreighoff 500 NE.
    edited November -1

My opinion is that when a few hundred thousand volts of lightening struck the safe, that was probably enough to ignite it. I am not an electrical expert. All I know is it destroyed all my firearms, including my pride and joy...My Kreighoff 500 NE.

I'm saying that 5 pounds of magnesium in a solid form, inside a safe, even with lightening cannot turn a gunsafe into the picture you posted. No way, no how. I've been around magnesium for the last 40 years, and have seen it burn in it's worst form, powdered, and it won't do that to steel, period.

Your story and your picture is a bunch of bull, and you and I know it. So do a lot of other people.
    edited November -1

I'm saying that 5 pounds of magnesium in a solid form, inside a safe, even with lightening cannot turn a gunsafe into the picture you posted. No way, no how. I've been around magnesium for the last 40 years, and have seen it burn in it's worst form, powdered, and it won't do that to steel, period.

Your story and your picture is a bunch of bull, and you and I know it. So do a lot of other people.

Belive what you want. I know different.
    edited November -1

Right!
    edited November -1

Right!

<shrug> Whatever. Did not know professional video gamers knew so much about magnesium.
    edited November -1

Right!

<shrug> Whatever. Did not know professional video gamers knew so much about magnesium.

I doubt they do, but ME\IE's do. I've been manufacturing with magnesium for 40 years, and what you are trying to pass off is impossible, and all of us who deal with magnesium and steel on a daily basis know it, but you're in too deep to back out now. You should have never posted the picture. It was the proof positive that you had lied.
    edited November -1

Right!

I doubt they do, but ME\IE's do. I've been manufacturing with magnesium for 40 years, and what you are trying to pass off is impossible, and all of us who deal with magnesium and steel on a daily basis know it, but you're in too deep to back out now. You should have never posted the picture. It was the proof positive that you had lied.

Ok...if you say so. Doesn't matter what you think. I was there..well right behind the truck any how.
    edited November -1
    Why do you post as both Rusty Shackleford and Survivalist86? What are you trying to hide?

Take your story and the picture to your local fire department (or one in a big city if you live in a small town) and ask them if it is possible.

You screwed up posting the picture with that BS story. It's not possible for 5 pounds of magnesium inside a safe, even if it somehow got ignited, to melt steel to that point.

IMPOSSIBLE![;)]

You need to just stop telling the lie and post on other threads. In time, people will forget, but if you keep trying to sell it, it's never going to end.
    edited November -1
    Why do you post as both Rusty Shackleford and Survivalist86? What are you trying to hide?

Take your story and the picture to your local fire department (or one in a big city if you live in a small town) and ask them if it is possible.

You screwed up posting the picture with that BS story. It's not possible for 5 pounds of magnesium inside a safe, even if it somehow got ignited, to melt steel to that point.

IMPOSSIBLE![;)]

You need to just stop telling the lie and post on other threads. In time, people will forget, but if you keep trying to sell it, it's never going to end.

What the he!! are you talking about? I have one login on Gunbroker. PERIOD. Whatever fantasy land you are living in needs a dose of psychotropic drugs...
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron

I insured a trucker that got hit by a tree on the freeway. Try putting THAT into a claim report.

Have a friend that tore the lower unit out of his Mercury outboard on the Kuskokwim River. He told the insurance company he hit a sunk car. They paid the claim.
    edited November -1
    h-effect032.jpg
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
    edited November -1
    h-effect031.jpg
    edited November -1
    I though this was funny at first, you know like the yarn about 300 pound catfish that dragged away my grammas mule.

He already made a tail but I thought it was a good running joke. So i covered it.. Who coulda known heffly was a metalurgist with no sense of humor.

ATHOMSON spotted it.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks dongizmo, for posting "more" pics of that "gun safe". His story was enjoyable reading, I like science fiction. Are those pics from the
    9/11 World Trade Center recovery storage building ?? bob
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so now with written & photo proof of gun disposal you have been removed from the domestic terrorist list at DHS....you're a smooth operator, i would have never thought of that approach....
    edited November -1
    What the he!! are you talking about? I have one login on Gunbroker. PERIOD. Whatever fantasy land you are living in needs a dose of psychotropic drugs...

The other post you keep referencing at the other forum (you say are your pictures) are posted under the user ID "Rusty Shackelford". Rusty Shackleford is also a registered user here. If that's you, you're one in the same but with 2 user ID's.

Are you Rusty Shackleford? If so, why are you also posting here as Survivalist86? If not, why are you claiming Rusty Shackleford's posts are yours?

You claimed this link was "your" garden pictures,

http://s1.zetaboards.com/survivalism/topic/1622509/1/

What is the user ID on that post? Rusty says they are his, you say they are yours. Doesn't that make you one in the same?

In another post, you said this was you,

http://s1.zetaboards.com/survivalism/topic/1660062/1/?x=30#new

Again, Rusty Shackleford. Are you, or are you not Rusty Shackleford, and if so, why are you not using your Rusty Shackleford user ID here? If not, why are you using it there?

In other posts, you posted this picture,

putin_25.jpg

But the photobucket account is

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/rangebrass/Sub Album/putin_25.jpg

Then you posted this picture,

h-effect030.jpg

But the photobucket account is,

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/TheWebfairy/h-effect/h-effect030.jpg

The postings by Rusty Shackleford on the other site use this photobucket account,

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/rangebrass/sexywoman.jpg
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/rangebrass/221.jpg

So, do you have multiple photobucket accounts or do you steal pictures from others and claim them as yours? Do you use both Rusty Shackleford and Survivalist86 as user ID's here? What's the real story, and can you tell a real story?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    Thanks dongizmo, for posting "more" pics of that "gun safe". His story was enjoyable reading, I like science fiction. Are those pics from the
    9/11 World Trade Center recovery storage building ?? bob

Don't know, but there are other lumps of debris in the same room...
    Don
  • AlpineAlpine Member Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You story on shooting with Putin was bull.

Your take on the arrest of the Priest was bull.

And your story on the gun safe is bull.

How much else BS do you expect GB to put up with? Do you not think we will remember all these lies anytime you post?

Again you are a proven liar. Take you B.S. and go away.
    ?The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money.?
    Margaret Thatcher

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
    Mark Twain
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time for me to write a letter to """MYTHBUSTERS"""

- Dear Mythbusters - Can you please place a gun safe with 5 lbs of Magniesum on the top of a mountain and place a long lightning attracting rod on top of it. We want to see what it looks like after the lightning hits it.... Does it look like this?? They might just do it.... They love the unuasual stuff....
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alpine
    You story on shooting with Putin was bull.

Your take on the arrest of the Priest was bull.

And your story on the gun safe is bull.

How much else BS do you expect GB to put up with? Do you not think we will remember all these lies anytime you post?

Again you are a proven liar. Take you B.S. and go away.

Sure seems like he steps on his tounge everytime he speaks, doesn't it![}:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    CGR is that you?????

[:D]

You beat me to it....[:D]
    Don
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    CGR is that you?????

[:D]

You took the thought right out of my head.

Oh course its impossible to melt a safe with 5 pounds of magnesium, I figured, it was just another haha "yeah well I lost my guns in a boating accident" kinda thing.
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is only one thing else to say, "Liar, liar, pants on fire."

I don't know nothing about burning nothing in a gun safe, but looks like someone has caught some deception.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honestly, I have no clue. But I see something inthe picture that appears to be rebar steel or high tension steel cable. Neither would be capable of surviving a fire hot enough to smolten a steel safe. Rebar is so high in carbon it has virtually no use other than in concrete.

If it were hot enough to melt the safe, surely the gun barrels would not have survived. I don't know... I can't belive lightning would be enough to cause magnesium to ignite from just a strike. Would it not had to at least been touching the side of the safe?

I just don't know... It appears this clump fell through the roof in the first pic. In the others it appears to be something dug out of a dump, lots of compatacted iron and clay goop combo.

And what's with that little silver bead chain and tag? Not like it's not lose enough to fall off at any time, what does that tag say?

I am not going to say you are a liar, but I am certainly waiting for the punchline...