In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just Went out in the Yard Update

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you're on to something with that one...how does it stand up to when its in your pocket...
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    I think you're on to something with that one...how does it stand up to when its in your pocket...

Just great but I just use the belt clip.[;)] But my clothes smell nice.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Yesterday I made some salsa and since I didm't grow any cilantro this year I had to buy some at the store. Usually I smell the bunch before I bag it up but this time I didn't. Needless to say salsa made with parsley just doesn't work.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    Yesterday I made some salsa and since I didm't grow any cilantro this year I had to buy some at the store. Usually I smell the bunch before I bag it up but this time I didn't. Needless to say salsa made with parsley just doesn't work.

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    We had BLT's for supper tonight and it was nice to just go out in the yard and pick an almost red tomato.[;)] Still have many green ones but there was a cluster of 4 almost red ones. It still worked for me.
    edited November -1
    I bet its a real treat to pick a totally red one
    edited November -1
    Boy, that must have been devastating[V]
    edited November -1
    I bet its a real treat to pick a totally red one

Yep their pretty rare.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anybody have frost on their cilantro this morning?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by westernMDhunter

No not yet but half my garden is gone, still have a bunch of tomato's, leeks and onions. There's enough Cilantro for about 2 tacos but my chives are still thriving. Supposed to get down into the mid forty's tonight. I thing what ever doesn't turn red within the next 5-6 days will be compost.[:(][:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

No not yet but half my garden is gone, still have a bunch of tomato's, leeks and onions. There's enough Cilantro for about 2 tacos but my chives are still thriving. Supposed to get down into the mid forty's tonight. I thing what ever doesn't turn red within the next 5-6 days will be compost.[:(][:(]

Green tomatoes will slowly ripen inside the house.
    edited November -1

Green tomatoes will slowly ripen inside the house.

Yep, I know that just got to recheck the proper way to do it.
  • fullcaseloadfullcaseload Member Posts: 224 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used to put our unripe tomatoes a couple three layers deep in a brown paper bag with the top folded over a couple of times to keep the emitted gases somewhat contained, then put 'em in the closet in our service porch and close the door. (cool and dark). About a week and we would start checking progress, depending on how green we started with we could usually pull out 1-3 that seemed almost vine ripened.(Could, just have been that any homegrown beat heck out of store bought)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fullcaseload
    We used to put our unripe tomatoes a couple three layers deep in a brown paper bag with the top folded over a couple of times to keep the emitted gases somewhat contained, then put 'em in the closet in our service porch and close the door. (cool and dark). About a week and we would start checking progress, depending on how green we started with we could usually pull out 1-3 that seemed almost vine ripened.(Could, just have been that any homegrown beat heck out of store bought)

Some years ago I hung my venison sausage from the railing at the top of the stairs. People kept hanging their coats over it until I forgot it was even there. You guessed it but about a year went by before I remembered it. Needless to say it had all turned green.[:(][:(]
    edited November -1

Some years ago I hung my venison sausage from the railing at the top of the stairs. People kept hanging their coats over it until I forgot it was even there. You guessed it but about a year went by before I remembered it. Needless to say it had all turned green.[:(][:(]

That's almost as bad as forgetting you have cilantro in the cellar.
    edited November -1
    Only one guy had cilantro at the farmers market yesterday...busy place..had to take a number in order to have a chance to purchase the stuff...winter is near
    edited November -1

That's almost as bad as forgetting you have cilantro in the cellar.

Yep its a good thing you don't have to hang it as well.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Only one guy had cilantro at the farmers market yesterday...busy place..had to take a number in order to have a chance to purchase the stuff...winter is near

I went to the farmers market Saturday but got there an hour early. One guy started yelling at me because I was there. He said nobody will be here for awhile their all at other markets. There was a person there that probably had everything I needed, but I said screw it. My wife went back latter but never told me. I'll just go to the store today and get what I need.
    edited November -1

There is another one today from noon to five at the catholic church on cliff road. Thats the one I usually go to. Probably going to miss it today as I have a job to do in MPLS this afternoon.
    edited November -1
    skicat...forgot about that one...went there after work today..got some onions, thai peppers and 2 bunches of cilantro...thanks for the reminder. We go to the Eagan farmers market every Wednesday...the last day for it was yesterday..
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

No, but I have a pesky rash on my....what exactly were we talking about? [:I][;)]
    edited November -1
    skicat...forgot about that one...went there after work today..got some onions, thai peppers and 2 bunches of cilantro...thanks for the reminder. We go to the Eagan farmers market every Wednesday...the last day for it was yesterday..

Job went smooth so I made it there this afternoon about 3pm. Not sure but I think that one goes into late october. Weather depending of course.
    edited November -1

Job went smooth so I made it there this afternoon about 3pm. Not sure but I think that one goes into late october. Weather depending of course.
    Glad ya got there...We go to the Eagan market because the hours are 4pm to 8pm...the wife gets home at 4:30 so that one works for us. The one on cliff has a nice atmosphere more of a market feel. Eagan is more like a Carnival..produce, food vendors and live music.
    edited November -1

Glad ya got there...We go to the Eagan market because the hours are 4pm to 8pm...the wife gets home at 4:30 so that one works for us. The one on cliff has a nice atmosphere more of a market feel. Eagan is more like a Carnival..produce, food vendors and live music.

I made it to the Eagan one earlier this summer. You are right about it feeling more like a fair. I went down where the band was playing and listened for a while. Too bad they are done for the year. I am not looking forward to winter yet.
    edited November -1
    I am not looking forward to winter either...for one thing it is VERY hard on the cilantro[:D]...and after last years severe cold...I really wonder why I live here. I really dont mind the snow and a few -10 nights...but last year really did me in.
    edited November -1
    I'm looking forward to deer hunting in November but then it is downhill until cilantro planting time in the spring.
    edited November -1
    I am not looking forward to winter either...for one thing it is VERY hard on the cilantro[:D]...and after last years severe cold...I really wonder why I live here. I really dont mind the snow and a few -10 nights...but last year really did me in.

I might try growing it in the house and see what happens. I've got a bunch of grow lights, so I'll see if it works.
    edited November -1
    I might try that with ghost peppers...I need a winter hobby[:)]
    edited November -1

I might try growing it in the house and see what happens. I've got a bunch of grow lights, so I'll see if it works.

Don't go using all them grow lights on the cilantro.
    edited November -1
    Well at least the tomato's are turning red. Went out this morning and picked up about a dozen of them.[;)][^][^]
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Yep somebody dropped the ball on this one, but an update is forth coming.[;)][:D][:D]
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    34 degrees here tonite...winter is near...another growing season over...farmers markets boarded up..boy this thread is starting to depress me...well actually, I'm starting to depress me[:)]
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Well,,,,????
    That's a deep subject.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    Well this is about all that's left. Trimmed the tomato plant way back.
    Still have the leeks in the ground and the chives are still thriving. Will probably pull the rest of the tomato's by Sunday. Temps are hovering around 40 degrees over night and the first frost of the season is due at any time. Did manage to get about 30 tomato's off the plant this year, some of them got attacked by earwigs. Probably will still be able to harvest 15-20 more. Not bad for the first time.

[img][/img]MVC-AAATOMATO.jpg
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Take them green ones and fry them up,I'm telling ya,,[;)][;)][:p][:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Take them green ones and fry them up,I'm telling ya,,[;)][;)][:p][:p]

I made a big pot of chili last weekend, threw a good dozen of tomato's in the blender and then into the chili. It wasn't to good, had way to much of an earthy taste. But it wasn't something that a lot more chili powder couldn't cure.
    edited November -1
    34 degrees here tonite...winter is near...another growing season over...farmers markets boarded up..boy this thread is starting to depress me...well actually, I'm starting to depress me[:)]

Was at Mary Mother of the Church today and they still had lots of cilantro. Still lots of peppers,tomatoes,great onions, and taters precious....whats taters?
    edited November -1
    All the Cilantro in the stores now comes from Mexico.[:(][:(]
This discussion has been closed.