In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lake Ozark Fishing

Comments

• Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kicked their butts today. Got to fish just a few hours and had eight good keepers . The biggest was close to 4.5 lbs. This time of the year the fish are on a jerk bait bite and today they were hungry. I am having big motor problems so I was limited to fishing in the cove I live in with just the trolling motor only. The water temp is in the low 40s but the weather outside was great.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally did it I bought an Alabama Rig yesterday and went out fishing in the afternoon for a little few hours.I have been hearing all the press on it and several of my friends are fishing it with good success.I was just a little slow to jump on board. It is not a cheap fishing lure but it does work. In missouri the regulations only allow 3 hooks so you have 3 swim baits and 2 dummys and the A rig. The A rig cost 25 the swim baits another 10 so you are at 35 bucks for a lure. My next door neighbor went fishing with me and he fished a jerk bait I fished the A rig. I caught 4 keepers and a couple of shorts he caught one keeper and a short. This is a real easy way to fish if you can cast you can fish it . Just cast it out and real it in. And the damn thing does the rest of the work. I was suprised that it didn't hang up bad bit I fished it across several brush piles and only had my heart sink once when I snaged it up. You haved to fish it on heavy braided line and I used a flippin stick for my rod. I can see when the bass are really feeding on shad you might hang a couple of good ones at a time and you better have the heavy line to horse them in. Give this bait a try as I know you can catch fish with it. Don't forget to check out www.bigedsguideservice.com and if you are into the face book thing I have a bigedsguideservice facebook page also. It is the same stuff i post on here but I can put pictures on there still not smart enought to do it on here. Go figure!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The lake is rising and the color is changing. Nothing worse than fishing stained cold water. I did catch a couple of keepers on the Alabama Rig once I found clearer water. Hopefully the water will settle pretty quick so things will get back to normal. Water temp mid to low 40s you might be a ble to see 6 inches down in some areas and 18 inches in others.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good morning everyone! It is cold outside a little snow last night and we have a stiff north wind blowing. Been fishing almost everyday thanks to the warm winter we have been having. The water temp is in the mid to lower 40s and the lake is pretty clear on my end. The jerk bait bite has been pretty good with the Alabama rig a real strong 2nd. You have got to give the A rig a shot when you get a chance. Nothing to it just cast and reel and hang on. When they hit it sometimes they about jerk the rod out of your hand. You have to fish it with super strong line. I have been fishing it on 80lb braid and a flippin stick. Depending on the swim bait heads you might be throwing a bait that weighs around 3 to 4 oz. I have been fishing it over brush with a slow retrieve and it seems to work.
    This Friday and Saturday I will be working the St Louis boat show at the Nameoki Village Marine booth so stop by and say hey. I would love to meet you. Feb. 16-19 I will be in Wichita and then Feb 23-26 I will be in Omaha. I will be working For the Lake of the Ozark CVB booth. I have never spent any time in those maekets so I am looking forward to that. It is always nice to be able to put a fase with a name.
    Just checked the weather and it is above freezing better go make a few cast when it gets light. Have a great day take a kid fishing.
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Back from the St Louis Sport and Boat Show. I worked for Nameoki Village Marine. We sold Ranger,Triton,Champion and G3 boats. It is amazing the price of the new boats we had Bass boats priced from 70 thousand and down. The big buzz around the tackle ares is of course the Alabama Rig. Looks like all of the tournament fisherman want it to be band from tournament fishing. Their feeling it will take the skill out of fishing. I agree it is a no brain way of fishing but I really can't see the bait cleaning out the lakes of fish.
    Winter finally made it to the Ozarks hope it gets warm enough to fish a little today.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    went out for about 2 hours caught 1 one the first cast. That is a black cat normally. I did catch one about ten minutes later but that was it. It sure is cold out there. Water temp still 43.5 the lake is clear. The big problem today was the water was freezing up in my rod guides.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good day yesterday I caught 5 keepers on the Alabama Rig in about 2 hours. Three of the fish came off the same brush pile. It was cold when I left I had snow in my boat. The lake is clear and the water temp was 41.6. I had fished a jerk bait for quite a while with no luck. I moved from one spot to another changed baits and things changed. It is going to rain here much of the day today. I like to fish in the rain but not when it is this cold outside.
    Have a great day
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally the boat shows are over for the year . Now it is time to get back to fishing. I fished a little Monday and Tuesday and caught some pretty good ones. The weather is unreal and the fishing is only going to get better and better. We have mid 40 water temp and with the forcast we have going it should be in the low 50s soon. The water temp never got cold enought to kill off the shad so we should have an over abundance of bait so the fish should get pleanty to eat. I just hope they want to eat what is on the end of my line.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got in the weather has been great Has is the key word. I caught a couple of nice bass fishing a jerk bait but did not get a hit on the Alabama rig. really did not fish real hard as the temp has dropped about 35 degrees. Tooooooo darn cold but at least the wind was blowing under 20 today. Tomorrow is another day
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good fishing this morning caught several keepers. The biggest of the bunch weighed 6lb 6oz. The fish weer hitting suspending jerk baits on secondary points. Check out the photos at www.bigedsguideservice.com
    Have a great day.
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good day of fishing here at beautiful Lake of the Ozarks. The fish are really moving up. This morning I caught a 5lb4oz on a jerk bait. This afternoon I started seeing fish really shallow. The water temp in in the low 50s and the lake is super clear. Clear is good when the water is cold but as the water warms I hope it colors up a little.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good morning to all Happy Saint Patricks day. I hope that you get to celebrate it catching a green fish.Getting ready to go out and try that myself.. The weather is still over the top I have fished the past several days in a Tee shirt. Been catching a few but not setting the world on fire.That is for bass anyway. You can catch all of the crappie you want. You can still catch them on the A Rig and a jerk bait but I have to say it I am burned out on that. Looked yesterday in the shallows and saw several fish. They are on the move. The water temp has jumped up into the upper 50s and I found some in the 60s yesterday. The lake is the clearest I have ever seen it I know you can see down at least 10 foot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been catching the crappie pretty good. Some people are catching them off the banks. But I have found for me the biggest ones are the fish that are suspended in deeper water. They are suspended in 40 foot of water about 20 foot off the bottem to 12 feet. Cast a jig count it down and the line just gets heavy. They don't hit it just swim up on it and hold on. The bass must still be on vacation for me . I have heard some amazing stories but I have nothing to back it up. Today might be the day.
    Water temp mid to upper 50s and the lake is clear.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good morning everyone! Fishing here at Lake of the Ozarks is great but the catching is not so good. I haven't got to fish as much as I would like but that probably is not all that bad. Some guys are catching them like crazy but the fishing is tough on my end of the lake. The fish are staging getting ready to move up but dang I wish they would call U hall and make the move. Tournament weights for a 5 fish limit have been in the mid 20s but just a few lucky anglers are really catching them. I am not one of the lucky guys. The lake is real clear and the water temp is in the upper 50s to the mid 60s. You would think that you could load the boat. It simply is not happening. Every day is a new day and anytime I expect that they will move to the banks and all hell is going to break loose.The fish are still being caught on the Alabama rig and jerk bait. The fishing reports are saying the fishing is excellent but that is simply not the case. But you know today will be the day I know it. Have a great day go fishing just to have fun.
    Have a great day!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishing is getting better by the day. I caught several fish on a Zara * today in the backs of coves. I think in the next few days finally things are going to happen real good. I hope so I am booked every day next week. Nothing worse than a non fish guide trip.
    Caught some great big old black crappie today on a small jerk bait. Now if I could only find some morel mushrooms.
    Gone Fishing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The crappie fishing here at Lake of the Ozarks is getting real good. I took two guys out this morning and they had their limits in a couple of hours. The water temp this morning was in the mid 60s but the air temp was in the 30s. The fish are starting to move to the banks and are hitting tubes fished real slow. Have a great day take a kid fishing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good day yesterday I mean evening . Caught several fish on a Zara * good time. Nothing better than catching fish on a topwater bait.Storms around this morning I am chomping my nails to get out but I really don't want to get lit up.
    Water temp is mid 60s the lake is stained.
    Have a good one
    Ed
    www.bigedsguideservice.com
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No fishing in the last week?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep been fishing and catching pretty good too. Busy Busy has been the key word the past few weeks. Catching bass on a Carolina rig brush hog and a shaky head worm. The weird thing is you catch them like crazy one day and then it is tougher than nails the next. Getting ready to go hope today is the good day.
    Good fishing!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been fishing and the catching was great key word was. Caught a real good one on monday see www.bigedesguideservice.com for picture but it has been down hill from then. I can see the fish on the graft but I can not get them to open up and eat. I have guide trips lined up for the next week i sure hope the fish start eating again. It is that tough time after the spawn now.
    Have a great day
    Water temp in the low 70s and the lake is stained
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kicking their butts here on beautiful Lake of the Ozarks. The fish are hiotting a shaky head real good and it is a blast. If you got a chance pack you bags come on down to the lake. as the statement goes you should of been here yesterday well today is darn good too. Fished a couple of good ole boy tournaments last week and did pretty good. Got 2nd place Tuesday night and won the thing on Thursday night. The tournaments are small but the talent is good. Dion Hibdon fished Tuesday he Won the Bassmaster Classic several years ago and then his sons fished Thursday night. Lots of locals that live on the lake and fish it all of the time. I lucked out and found a bunch of fish and caught my limit in just an hour. Fished the same spot on Thursday and caught a few then moved and caught 2 over 4 lbs to fill our limit and cull a smaller fish. Stopped at the spot on my way in today and caught 3 keepers in about ten minutes.
    Have agreat day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fish are still biting here at beautiful Lake of the Ozarks. I have been catching them deep on Crock-O-Garoe Shaker pro heads with a Zoom Magnum Finess worm. We don't have Smallmouths here at the lake but I bet this combo would knock the fire out of them too. Just look for the fish on your locator and stroll it through them is the ticket. Stroll is a method of dragging a lure with the use of wind or trolling motor. I guess this is a made up word that I use for no other reason than it works. Hey good fishing all and I hope that you have a successful fishing season.. Dont forget to check out www.bigedsguideservice once in a while I do post pictures on there. I still havent figured out how to do it on here.
    Any of you facebookers out there I have a facebook page bigedsguide service I would love for you to join.
    Good Fishing
    Ed Franko
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is Crock-O-Gator cant type too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The big boats are back for a few months at least. The fishing is still pretty good for bass but not as good as it was. You can still go out and catch them but it is sure not as easy as it was before. Now staying on a spot will be hard because of the boat traffic. Early morning or late at night will have to be the ticket.. catching fiosh on a shaky head and a zoom worm still but did catch a few good ones yesterday on a swim bait. Water temp is in the mod to upper 70s and the lake is clear to stained.
    Jet ski season opens tomorrow I wish. I know that I could get a fast limit today.

Happy Memorial Day
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The last couple of mornings have been unreal. After the holiday weekend I thought it was going to suck but wrong for sure. The fish are still on the main lake points and are real hungry. The bite is real lite but once you set the hook hang on. I sure wish this pattern would hold on as it sure is fun and easy to find them for sure.
    Good fishing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been fishing quite a bit with pretty good results. Took a couple of gents out the other day and we had 9 keepers and several short fish during their four hour trip. All of the fish came off a Zoom trick worm fished on a Crock-O-Gator shaker head. Good stuff guys you need to give it a try. I have really never got to try it on smalljaws but I bet it would kick their *. If any of you get to try it please let me know your results. My son is getting ready for a Canada trip mid July but earlier results would be helpful. If you need the contact to get the Shaker heads let me know. Good Stuff and very easy fishing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishing has got a little tougher here at the lake. I am still able to catch them but the bite is diffrent. The fish are still on the main lake points feeding on shad but they like to eat shad better than they like to eat fishing lures. Everyday is diffrent but you just have to try to figure out what they want.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishing has been great the past couple of days. The bass are on secondary points and feeding really good. The past couple of days my clients have caught at least 20 keepers and several shorts dragging a worm around. We have a realy good thunderstorm going on now ai hope it doesn't goof the fishng up for tomorrows people. have a good fathers day if you can spend it with your dad. I wish
    I could.

Good fishing !
    I do have a few pictures posted on my web site www.bigedsguideservice.com of some of the past few days catches.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been fishing every day just about. It is hotter than hammers on a six gun out on the water the past few days. The fishing has been great but the past few days it has really slowed down. The water temp is in the mid 80s and the lake is pretty clear. The fish are out on the points but are slow to bite. You really have to put in in their mouth to catch them. The past few weeks have been great I guess all good things have to come to an end sometime. I had 14 guide trips in a row and all but 2 trips caught at least one close to five pounds. I had 2 people from Washington DC that had nine keepers in a four hour trip and they all went over four pounds.
    Good fishing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been fishing quite a bit and catching a few good ones from time to time. Life is to short not to go fishing as much as possible. So you better go.. Really wish I was up north right now as this 100 degreee stuff is getting old.
    Catch Hogs
  • Options
    bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Ed, I love reading your post and am amazed at your keeping up with trends in catching bass and the EVER changing methods and lures. (I realize it is what you do for your living) Do you miss the days of a couple different color Cream worms, Arkansas Hog Caller spinners (the ones hanging on a wire at the bait shop) Chuggers and a couple different color Rogues? Maybe two 5000's and a 300 Mitchell? I know your boat is 40 times more comfortable than the $2 rental, but wasn't it Great strapping that 5 1/2 horse Johnson and being the first one to those old Cyprus Trees just around the point? Just think of the ones that broke your line!! Please keep writing your post. SET THE HOOK!!! Do you remember when John Fox came out with the FLUTTER Tail worm and we first started using Texas Rig on worms?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bigbill for you comments. I love to get comments like that it means a lot to me. I do remember the old days when a debth finder was a heavy weight on the end of a string. How about sitting on the front of a jon boat skulling instead of using a trolling motor. i remember going to the lake renting a boat and and using oars to get around. OMG I am getting tired thinking about it. Things have changed that is for sure. I still have an Mitchell 300 and a 308 and several 5000s but they don't get much use now days.
    How About
    Creme worms with the spinners that were stiffer than a (dont go there Ed).
    A baby bottle nipple with a treble hook on a stout pcle with catfish braid We called it dipping.
    Fishing a lure called a lucky 13,sonar,spin right,a Johnson silver minnow.
    You were big time if you had a tackle box that had a aluminum fold out trays.
    Fishing rods were made of steel.
    Putting fish on a stringer.
    Moving your feet on the bottem of the boat resulted in getting told you would never get to go again.
    The smell of a bait shop.
    Tying up to a tree and fishng in one spot for hours on end.
    Buying minnows for 10 cents a dozen.
    Strapping cane poles on the side of the car to go to the lake.
    Riding a bicycle several miles to a lake to fish.
    Yes I do remember those days my friend.
    Today I had a four hour guide trip. We covered at least 15 miles of the lake . Probably fished 25 brush piles Used $400 dollor rods and reels. Burned at least 40.00 in gas. Used state of the art electronics and still didn't catch any more fish than when I was a kid. But I will have to say one thing. The smile on someones face when they catch a bass still looks the same. Those fish make me still do the Happy Dance! I had someone ask me today Ed how come you don't fish when you guide much. My answer is I get as much kick out of seeing them catch them as I do catching them.
    Good Fishing!
    Ed Franko
  • Options
    bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had as much confidence with those worms as if I was throwing a toothbrush. I caught a lot of bass on a cream worm Texas rigged though. Caddo Lake, Cross Lake, and Wallace Lake near Shreveport. Lots of fun "doodling" a 14' boat from that front seat. Things are so much better now as far as comfort, and young fisherman catch a ton more fish than we did back then, but it was still GREAT! Thank you for teaching the experience to your visitors.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fished last night and caught several bass on a shaky head worm. The fish are hanging on bluff ends on the ledges... I wish I was with my son this morning as he just crossed the border going to a new lake that they have never fished before. Oh Canada I sure wish I was there. With our business it is hard to get away. You have to make hay when the grass is growing !!! Bummer is when it slows down here it will be too cold up there. Maybe next year!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got some rain today finally. It is so blasted hot it isn't even fun to go fishing. Wait did I say that.... I really ment that it was not as fun as normal. The fish really don't think so either as the bite is pretty darn slow. The water temp is in the upper 80s the lake is clear and the wave action is horrible. Just a few more weeks and the season will slow down to weekends only. Looking forward to the cooler weather and the great fall fishing. In the mean time all of you boys up north catch a big Musky for me and I sure would like to have a limit of walleyes OK while I am wishing just make it about a five pound bag of walleye cheeks. I no I am not asking for much am I. North east guys Lobsters will be fine. Around here they fry the tails OMG is that good.
    Have a great day
    Good fishing!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tough is the word here at the lake. Hot weather hot water and boat traffic is killing it. Looking out my back door I already see people are having a good time on the lake.
    The fish can be caught but mostly around midnight fishing bluff ends and ledges. I think tonight I might go out and give them a try. Or maybe I will fall asleep in the chair like normal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Another tough morning on the lake. It is getting hotter by the minute and the fishing is slow. The water temp is now in the upper 80s I found 91.6 last night when I went out. You can catch some Kentucky bass off the corners of the big docks but they are mostly dinks. Bigger fish are in the 20ft range biting a plastic worm but it is a very slow bite. Crappie can be caught before the sun comes up but as soon as it does it is like someone turns the suitch off. The crappie are in 20ft range eating jigs with minnows. There is a lots of small bait fish and the fish are really eating them. Big cats are being caught on bluegill filets on jugs.
    Go fishing and have some fun
    Ed
    www.bigedsguideservice.com
    Hey if you get a chance join my facebook page Big Ed's Guide Service
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guide trip this morning and wow was it hot. I am not talking about the fishing I was talking about the weather. We did catch a half dozen bass and a couple of them were good ones. the biggest bass was a 4.5 and the other was a 3.5 . we caught fish on brush piles and bluff walls. Not the best fishing but I had a good time. Water temp is in the upper 80s and the lake is clear.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been fishing and it has been weather hot fishing not. It really sucks when you the summer heat gets here and the fishing cools down.. You can catch them but you have to fish deep and in the brush piles. The best way to fish them deep piles is with a heavy slip singer at least a half ounce. I have been fishing three quarter ounce ones. You bang it into the brush shake it around and hope for a bite. Once in a while Mr. Wiskers grabs on and then if you are lucky he swims out if not he goes under the pile. Starting to see lots of balls of shad cant wait until the white bass start getting with it.

Anybody catching and musky ? I want to go real bad hopefull maybe some fall fishing for them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been fishing in this hot weather but it finally cooled down today a little. The fishing has been pretty slow but that is normal this time of the year. Caught some bass this morning chasing shad. That is always a good time. The Crappie are out in about 20 foot of water and can be caught on a jigging spoon. Not really fun fishing in my book but good eating. About tired of dragging a worm around wish they would start something diffrent.

Have a good weekend!