In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lake Ozark Fishing

Comments

• Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fishing has been better but you can still catch them. The bass are relating to the big docks. The wind is your friend but you have to be careful. You can get a $200 plus scratch real easy if you are not careful. What is happening is the bass are suspending under the docks and waiting for bait to come by. The bigger fish are suspended about 10 feet deep but the water has to be near real deep water. You can catch them on several diffrent baits I caught them this morning swimming a jig.. The water temp is in the lower 80s and the lake is clear.. Can't wait for a good cold spell so the shad will start moving back in the coves and WOW WE that is when the good times roll.

Have a great weekend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good trip yesterday.. We did not catch any real big ones but we had some real good action and boated at least 20 bass. The weather is still too darn hot and the lake is in the lower 80s and clear. Hopefull we will get some rain soon.. The trees in this area are turning brown and the leaves are falling off.. . Hey it is to darn early for this. The trees are stressed because of the heat and look just like they are dying. Hopefully they will come back.
    Caught fish aon a watermelon trick worm rigged texas styleans a zoom fluke weightless under big docks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went lat night a caught them fair on a big worm. Big fish are hiding someplace and I have not fiqured where. you can catch all the dinks you want but the big guys are hiding out someplace. water temp is in the low 80s and the lake is clear.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The weather is going to get nasty here tomorrow. We really need the rain though. It is just to bad it is all going to come in 24 hours. The lake is down about 3 feet and they haven't generated much power so this should bring the lake back up. I hope that it cools the lake down more and gets things really happening. The trees are all turning brown from the stress of no rain too. Well this is a fishing forum not a weather forum but the fishing is not real great. Still catching fish flipping docks and docks we have. lake of the Ozarks has over 50,000 boat docks. So you have lots of targets. We do not have any weeds or standing timber so docks and man made structure is the next best thing. You have to know the ones that have brush to catch fish though. If you find shad you can usually find the fish also. This time of the year is usually slow but it won't be long before the majic happens.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took a Outdoor writer out yesterday for a fishing trip. We had a tough day keeping fish on the hook as they were hitting great but the hook setting was not so good. He was fishing a lure and a method that he was not use to and it takes a little getting use to. He had a good time and had some amazing stories. The water temp is now in the upper 70s and the lake is still clear. We have finally been getting some rain but the lake is still low. You can catch bass with a worm in the brush and the corners of the big docks on top water.. The topwater bite is smaller fish but fun to catch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FLW had a super tournament this weekend on the lake. This really bring memories of the old days to me. I think next year I might give it a try one more time. Just to see if I can still compete with the young guns. I haven't fished any big tournaments in a long time. At the weigh in I see the same stuff still goes on. Guys lie to each other, have their little clicks and above all drive home with their dobber down. They just know if they would of done something a little diffrent it would of made a diffrence. Next time they will get them. The days before the tournament they were on fish and just knew they would be culling fish within a few minutes. Sometimes to get the first fish is the hardest. You are running on five gallons of coffee no sleep and you have to pee so bad you can taste it. Only to get to your honey hole to find someone else beat you there. You run to your next spot hoping that it will be the one and no one else is there.Your cofidence is about shot you snag your first cast then you start wondering did your partner bring a banana with him or something. I remember shaking like a cat trying to slime a peach seed until the first keeper was on board. Then calming down and getting to work. Its a great feeling when you are catching them but a sicking feeling when you are not. The day passes and you are thinking especially if you have a load of fish can I win this will I win this. You check your livewell making sure your fish are alright then you start thinking those fish don't look as big as they did when I caught them. You fish to the last minute then make a wild boat ride back to the weigh in hoping to make it back on time. There is always a bunch of how did you do today at the boat ramp. Your fish weigh less than you think .After your expences you at best break even. You win less money than you thought.Then you drive home into the sun after a couple of hard days on the lake. The whole time thinking I will get them next time.

You know after seoond thought maybe I won't.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fall is in the air finally and the fishing is picking up. There for a while the fishing was tougher than a two dollar steak. Last night I went out and caught a mixed bag. I caught Black Bass, Kentucky Bass,white Bass and Crappie. They were all after the shad schools. With the water temp falling into the mid 70s the fishing will only pick up. Now is the time to plan a fall fishing trip. We only have one major hurdle to go this fall and that is the turnover. That will kill things for about 3 or 4 days then it will be on until it gets to cold to fish.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Slow time of the year as the fish are moving from place to place. It seems like one day you catch them in one spot the next nothing. As the water cools the fishing will get more stable. Shad seems to be the deal as much as anything.
    Good luck with your fishing!
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishing is tougher that a two dollar steak. The fish are in still on the move and any day I think things will break loose. The shad are moving into the coves but the fish are real hard to pattern. The lake is down about three feet and they have not been pulling water That keeps the fish scattered rather than locked down on a point. I hope things happen soon because I would rather fish in shorts than in a snow suit.
    Good fishing
    Ed
    Hey amy of you do facebook please joining my face book page. Big ed's guide service.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow the fishing is tough. I had and all day trip yesterday and it was a tough go. Boy was it tough! This weekend is the big bass bash here at the lake and it pays 60 grand for the biggest bass. Hell of a payday for one lucky cast. I wish I could fish it but no guides allowed. I think I will stay at home and enjoy another cup of coffee and a gourmet breakfast at the Bed and Breakfast. It is cold, rainy and lighting like crazy out on the lake now and no guide trip so why go out.
    Have a great day go fishing if you can!
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is big bas bash here at the lake . Tough fishing for all. There is over 2200 people fishing it and the big bass pays 60,000. the biggest bass this weekend so par is just under 7 lbs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got the whites again last nightfor more on the story see www.bigsguideservice.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been tough but you can catch a few off the corners of docks on Jigs and Boing bait it is like a Zara * The weather has been windy windy. I had a client throw a $400 plus rod and reel in the lake the other day . It took about 8 hours before I could retreive it. Oh well slime happens but it could of been costly. Part of the business I guess but the guy didn't even act like it bothered him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishing is starting to pick up here at the lake again. I took a week off to go to Little Rock for some sprint car racing. then i weet to the farm to do a little bow hunting. Racing was good and bow hunting will I missed my first shot. Thought I had blown it for the day and 15 minutes later here came another one and the result was diffrent. Already had some tenderlion and OMG it sure was good.
    Now to the fishing part.
    Bass fishing is getting better I am catching fish off the corners of docks on a jerk bait fished real fast. I caught several keepers the past few days and several big crappie while jerking for bass.
    The white bass have moved and I have not been able to relocate them yet. Today is the day I hope.
    The lake is clear and the water temp is in the mod to lower 60s. The fishing should be red hot now as the fish should be on the fall feed . The shad are in the coves but not as thick as usual. I don't know why they havent moved in better. I thought it was water temp but I really don't know.

God fishing
    www.bigedsguideservice.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Knocked them dead today. The weather is great and the fishing was better . I only got to fish about two hours today and I caught 17 bass 2 Hybrids and a jumbo crappie. I caught all of the fish off of dock corners all on a jerk bait. I sure wish I could of fished more . I guess the fall feed is on.. Figures as today is the last day I will get to fish as is almost deer season.Leaving tomorrow morning for a few days.The wind is going to blow the weather is in the 70s and a cold front is going to come in the day I get back to fish again.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Must be the nice weather. I fished for stripers for about 4 hours and caught 8 over 30" light lining live shad. To find stripers all you had to do was find shad.

Also caught a 34# Blue cat. I caught a small crappie about the size of your hand in my cast net. I sent him to the bottom on a Texas rig. 1/2 hour later that Blue hit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishing is great and the catching is pretty good also. i did really good last night but tonight was much slower. Oh well that is why it is called fishing not catching. The bass were on the banks and hitting a buzz bait. The guy i had out caught a real nice on on a * that was chasing shad.
    Have a great weekend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow it is colder than cold out there. Not really getting use to it yet it seems like I am cold all of the time. I am sure glad I didn't fish this morning as it it 23 degrees out there. I had a guide trip yesterday and it was in the low 40s and I was cold. Sure glad I am in by the fire this morning. We caught several bass yesterday on jerk baits resulting in a good trip. The water temp is in the mid fiftys and the lake is clear. Fishing patterns are going to start to change and the fish should school up so hopefull we can really start to sack them up.

I sure hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Anyone get to go fishing?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Beautiful day here at Lake of the Ozarks. Just went fishing and had a great time today. Caught several fish and some nice ones at that. Think tomorrow I willtry to catcha mess of Crappie and have a great supper. Looks like this is the last good weekend we will have for a while. Have a great weekend .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cold start this morning 33 and a 10mph wind. Needed to dress warmer and been smarter froze out and already back at the fire. Did catch one bass before I gave it up so all is good I guess. The water temp in in the low 50s and the lake is clear. Lots of shad in the cove and the birds are working them but the fish seem to be in a non eating mood. Sometime today I am sure that they will go on the feed but when I wonder. I guess if I knew that I could pick the power ball numbers too.
    Have a great day
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Merry Christmas to all !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow where did the year go.. I sure hope that everyone had a great 2012. With that behind us and the world not ending I am looking to a great 2013. Currently I am sidelined with a bug of some kind I feel like crap. I am looking at the lake but I havent been out of the house this year yet. Have a great 2013!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not been fishing but thinking about it a bunch. The weather has been super cold but the lake is still liquid. hope to make it out soon as I need a fishing fix. Hope others are getting to go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been gone most of the month of January and finally back at the lake for a few days before leaving for the St. Louis boat show. Fished yesterday for a few hours and the bass are slow but the crappie are red hot. The water temp isa 40 to 42 and the lake is clear. Crappie and bass can be caught on suspending jerl baits. The bass are scattered but the crappie are really bunched up. I caught 10 crappie all of one little point yesterday in about 20 cast. The crappie that hit a jerk bait arer good ones most of them are a little over a pound. Good eaters I will have to say. I think they will provide a super bowl feast that will beat dip and chips for sure.
    I sure hope that everyone made it through the holiday season and are grearing up for the spring fishing season... You need to pack your bags and give this lake a try it is really a good one.

Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    feb 5, 2013

The past few days crappie fishing here at the lake hasd been really good. I have been catching them on suspending jerk baits while fishing for bass. For more info check out www.bigedsguideservice.com
    Have a great day I hope you catch a big one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good afternoon fellow fisherman. Tonight we are getting ready for another snowstorm. Fishing here at the lake has been good but not great. I fished a little today and caught 5 bass and several crappie. I caught all of them on a suspending jerk bait. The water temp is in the low 40s and that was definatly warmer than the air temp as it was in the low to mid 30s. I guess I should feel lucky as we have liquid water not ice. It has been cold but really not to bad. On sunny days the fishing has been better than cloudy days.
    I hope everyone has been getting a chance to at least clean out the tackle box. I spent a couple of snow days last week and I still need to spend more time at it. I have way to much stuff........

Good Fishing!
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought the fishing would of gotten better with the warmer weather but this is not the case. The water temp is in the low 40s still and the lake appears to have turned over. There is lots of scum on the water I have noticed that the color of the water has changed also. I did catch a good one the other day around 6 lbs but nothing the past few days to brag about. Oh well it wont be long before the bass are hitting top water and this will be going great guns. I am looking forward to that as I am tired of fishing a suspending jerk bait.

Everyone have a great weekend and hope you go catch a big one..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Colder than a well diggers and the snow just keeps coming. I know we don't have it as bad as lots of you but still it is spring isn't it. The weather trend shows a warm up I think it might finally be over. I have been fishing but it has been not the best of conditions. Yesterday was it for me I have decieded not to go back out until the weather changes. Yea Right! I am watcing and as soon as it is above freezing I will be out the door. Staying indoors is just not for me.
    Water temp is in the low 40s and the lake is pretty clear I know the crappie will be biting and the bass well you just never know.Can't catch them if you are not out there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been fishing lots but the catching has not been real good. The weather has not been the best but things will change shortly. The lake water temp ranges from the mid 40s to the mid 50s depending on what side of the lake you are on. Water color is good in some areas and the look of mud in others. Now is the time to have lake knowledge to show the way. Bass fishing has been up and down like a yo yo ane day chicken one day feathers thats the game I guess. My client caught one about 5 yesterday and aseveral other fish but we did not set the world on fire. You can see the fish down there you just cant make them bite. Crappie fishing is good not great you can catch them and they are good size ones on a jerk bait (Bass Size) or on a tube on secondary points.
    Have a great day
    Gone fishing!
    Ed
  • Options
    317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you been out in that past few days? I went to my local municipal reservoir today. I was only out about 1.5 hours and caught a nice largemouth, about 20-21" with a girth about 15" inches maybe, it looked like it weighed maybe 5-6 pounds. I am not sure where to find them this time of year, I was fishing a riprap wall with a curly worm jig.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    317WC Yes I have been out just about everyday since Febuary. Sounds like you caught a good one. I have been catching some good fish on a spinnerbait and this morning I caught a few good ones on a jig. I have been fishing pockets in really shallow water. The water temp is in the mid to low 50s and the lake has been clear until today. The lake looks like you could plow it back in the coves today. We have had a bunch of rain and the lake has come up about 2 foot in the past few days too. Trying to tell you where to find them is near to impossible but if you are fishing a lake lake. Go back halfway in a cove and fish secondary points and pockets. This will work on just about any lake in early spring.

Going Going Gone Fishing!
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Liv2Fish I have been reading your posts here about since you started up. Nice t see someone who really enjoys fishing as much as I do.

My local hotspot is just a city reservoir. I am in northern PA so it is pretty secluded, maybe 900 acres in ground-size. Typical earthen damn construction backing up a couple of small streams into a wooded valley. I last fall I hammered the walleye, nothing huge, most 15-18 inches. I am getting ready to try night fishing for them if the weather ever clears up. Its been pretty cool and rainy/windy for awhile. Water color is pretty good. I have always heard of big bass in there but I had never caught one that size until now, felt good, it is was my biggest largemouth.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishing is really up and down here just like the weather. One day warm one day cold .We need some stable weather to help get the fish out of the funk they are in. They are confused and really kind of hard to catch let alne put together a pattern. Went this morning and caught a couple of nice not monster bass on a lizard. Starting to see some bass working the beds but they are real spooky and just dont want to be caught yet. Better days ahead!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Live2Fish, how're things going for you? Our fishing finally turned on, it has been good for the past couple weeks, these next few days I may not get to go out, I have been slamming them on plastic worms/crayfish lately. I have a raft I am going to backpack into my favorite backwater and try fishing from off-shore. If I can get out to some off the deeper drop-offs and ledges I know I will be able to get on the bigger walleye, and some bass. Hope you keep knocking em down.

FISH ON!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow it has been a long time since I have been on here. I have been fishing every day and catching a few pretty good ones. Lately I have been catching them on a wacky style senko. I have been throwing it up to the bank and skipping it behind docks. Most of the fish are small but they sure are fun to catch Every once in a while you catch a real good one.I have been fishing a Falcon Cara spinning rod with a shimino spinning real with 10lb test fireline. It seems to skip real good and you don't seem to get those %#$#! darn loops.You really need a braid line when you are fishing behind the docks because of the cables.

Good fishing to alll I hope you really catch them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Storms this morning here at the lake. Been catching those bass really good but I think it is safer sitting on the couch rather than in the boat this morning. The bassa have moved out to the points and can be caught on several diffrent lures. I have heard that ther is a real good top water bite but it is not working for me. the old fishing crew is heading to Canada next Friday I sure wish I could go.

Good fishing to all!
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been going out lately only sporadically. I'm not doing too well, I have caught only 1 handful of bass, and a couple small walleyes. It is our bass season right now, and I am going out later to try to get a couple of nice ones, for fish tacos. Normally I fish catch and release almost exclusively, but today is an exception.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Too bad things are slow for you. I bet the fish are either spawning are they are just finishing up and are still in the no bite mood. fishing here has just really started after the spawn and right now things are good. I like this time of the year the fishing is much more stable. No you dont catch as many of the real big girls but it sure is fun. I have today off and went out by myself and caught a couple of good ones off of a spot I really haven't fished for a few years. Boat repair and maintance the rest of the day and I am sure that the princess has a few jobs for me.

Have a good day good fishing
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I went out yesterday for a few hours, and got skunked again. I think you are probably right, Liv2Fish, the bass I believe are spawning or just wrapping it up. I still can't explain why I have not caught any nice walleye, my last two were 18 inches, combined!

The day was not a total waste, I took some good photographs. I also found a Rebel crankbait I had broken off a few weeks ago, as well as a very nicely made, stainless steel rod holder, for bank fishing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well Well Well where to begin! Late morning trip this morning WE SRE GOING TO ROAST. It is already 78 and sunny. The fish are biting though Things are going well down here . They have been running water making electric and that move the fish out on the points. hope everyone is catching them and if not I hope they are biting.
    My son and his buddys are in Canada fishing Cedar Lake. I sure wanted to go but I am booked solid. They normally go later in the summer but this is the earliest they have gone. Any you guys out there from the Vermilion Bay area or fish that area.

Looking for a fall trip to take my son on for his birthday. somewhere in Wis or Mn looking for some good Musky fishing. Yes I do know that you dont always catch the big ones or even catch one.
    any help would be appericated.