In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lake Ozark Fishing

Comments

• Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WINDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is an understatement but the fish are biting. Caught a couple of bass today and a several big crappie. I have been catching them on a suspending jerk bait. Believe it or not the crappie have been hitting it harder than the bass. I really thought that the fishing would of been better than it was before this next front comes in tonight. I am sure that I will not be fishing tomorrow the forcast is freezing rain and snow starting this evening. It is currently 58 with wind gust 20 plus gust to 40. I had to fish with my trolling motor on high and it was still hard to hold the boat. You had to be in the wind to get a bite. The water temp is in the mid 40s and clear. I sure hope to fish a few more times this year. Anyone want to go let me know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigbill0910
    Keep up this post Liv2, I enjoy it. Is your lake like those mountain lakes, deep and very clear? I fished at Lake of the Narrows in Ark. and it wasn't at all like our lakes I fished in Louisiana.

Thanks for the nice comment I have really enjoyed doing this and hope that some of you all come and wet a line someday. I have fished many diffrent lakes and I moved here because it was my favorite. This lake has its good points and yes it has its bad points but the good far out weigh the bad. I am very lucky to be able to fish as much as I want to and my wife still talks to me.
    I am sure that it is like the lakes that you fished in Ark. I have fished several lakes in Ark and thay are just about the same. One huge diffrence is Lake of the Ozark is highly developed. I think that the first 30 to 35 miles of the lake is just about door to door houses. The fishing here is diffrent in that boat docks and man made structure become a huge player. The lake was completly cleared of standing timber when built. Water color well I live down towards the dam and today if you could see through the whitecaps I am sure that you could of seen down at least 6 ft. It is not a clear like Table Rock,Norfork or Quachita by no means. It has good fishing color year around.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh by the way fishing today was just fair. I caught several bass but no good ones but I caught several big crappie all on a jerk bait. The weather has turned to crap and I am sure that this will be the last day fit to fish for a while.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enjoy rerading your posts too. Thank you, and good luck with the fishing!~
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thought about fishing the morning. I did say thought as the temp is 5 and the wind is blowing 20. It looks like winter has finally gotten a good hold on this area. I actually have a mini lake effect snow going on my boat dock.
    Christmas here today for the family all kinds of good smells around the house. Looking forward to a lot of family fun. I bought my niece and nephew a new rod and reel as I am trying to start them on the correct path. I wish it would of been warmer I would of loved for them to catch a fish today. If more kids were taken fishing today I think that there would be much less problems.
    Time to get busy enjoy the day.
  • Options
    bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Merry Christmas to you and your family, SET THE HOOK!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking at the forcast the weather is going to be 60 on Friday . That is great as we have had single digets the past few days. I have a little stiffness in the right arm that needs to be worked out.I guess I will have to make a Doc appointment. Boat doc that is. Oh I know that Dr. Feelgood will probably prescribe several hours of jerk bait fishing. Water temp is in the 30s a little ice in the backs of the coves. I think that prescription will be. Cast way out pull the rod 3 times then let it sit. Then move the rod tip no more than a foot. Allow to sit for 15 seconds then move another foot or two. At the sign of any movement set the hook and follow with several seconds of cranking. Make sure to follow this procedure with a generous amount of celebrating. Several methods of celebrating are acceptable. High fives if you are with someone else tried that by myself looks a little weird, A good old YES works well followed by a Ye Ha. That break dancing stuff is for the younger guys. My fat a?? doesn't spin on the front deck like some of those youngsters. Remember to watch your line at all times for any movement or tic. The experts say that when you think that you are fishing slow enough them slow down some more.

Merry Christmas!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got a few new lures for Christmas and had to try them out today. Water temp in the low 40s and clear. I caught several bass today on a jerk bait but no good ones. I fished a jig and craw a little and never got a bump. It was a nice day today but real windy. The fish were hitting on the pause and you would never know you had a bite just when you went to move your bait they were on it. I did have a friend stop as I was putting my boat on my lift he told me that he had caught several nice bass yesterday on Jig and frog. His biggest was around 5 and several that would go 3 or better. As always I should of went yesterday. Did catch several nice crappie on the jerk bait they sure would look nice all dressed up in corn meal or beer batter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Happy New Year!!!!! May your new year be filled with limits of fish.
    Keep what you need and release the rest.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Happy New Year to you and yours! SET THE HOOK!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Beautiful day here at the lake!!!! I wish the fish would be a little more cooperative however. I caught one real nice one on a jerk bait but that was it. I must not be living right or something. I talked to several of my friends that are fishing a tournament tomorrow and nothing is working for them either.I am sure that someone will get them good. I say it will take a limit (5 Fish)that average 3 lbs or better to win and a 6 plus for big bass. I have not been fishing to much as I have been doing a little hunting. I leave next week for Tulsa for the Chili Bowl. Terrible habits I have fishing hunting and dirt track racing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How Many????
    A friend of mine won it. It took 5 fish with a total weight of 20.82 lbs to win and he also had big bass 6.85. That is not bad in the middle of the winter with the temp 27. $5000.00 payday.

After a week of racing it is good to be home. Going goose hunting in the morning and fishing in the afternoon.

Catch the racing (Chili Bowl) on Speed Feb. 14
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The lake has dropped about 6ft and the water is stained temp in the mid to upper 30s. Went out today for a couple of hours and caught 3 keepers on a suspending jerk bait. It was windy and it was hard to fish it properly. At least it was not cold probably in the low 60s. It is going to be a better day tomorrow and then get normal again. Oh well just about 6 more weeks and all will be good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    First time out for a few weeks and didn't get to fish long but the time spent was productive. I caught one about 4.5 lbs and a couple more around 2. Water temp around 40 clear and the lake is falling. Warm around 65 today but that is going to change tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wild day of fishing !!!!! I took my neighbor today and we probally caught 20 bass best 5 about 17 lbs. No real monsters but at least they were biting. Water temp was from 44 to 50.7. We caught the fish on jerk baits in water not much deeper than 5 feet in the back of a cove that the southern wind was blowing in. I also caught 3 crappie about 1.75 lbs each on the stick bait also. Things are looking up here at the lake.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After a tough week of weather changes things are happening again. I took an old friend out today and we had 13 keeper bass the best 5 would of made 20 lbs easy. He caught his biggest bass ever and was more than happy.I bet by the time he gets home that fish will gain another couple of pounds. Caught all the fish today on a jerk bait except for 2 spinnerbait fish. Glad to see the spinnerbait fish as I am about burned out on jerk bait fishing. Water temp 51-53 caught the fish in less that 7 ft in the back of a cove.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went yesterday and caught a few good ones. I ended up losing my favorite jerk bait to a 5 lbr right at the boat. Then the blasted fish had the gall to jump at the boat and try to throw the bait. That was the second Mega Bass bait lost this week. Getting ready to leave for Dallas just a little over 500 miles seems like long day ahead of me. Going to the Devils Bowl speedway to watch the sprint car season opener.

On the road again I wish I had time to drag my boat as fishin by day racin by night would be great!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fished the past few days with little success which really suprised me. I did catch one big one today 7lb 3 oz off a secondary point on a Carolina rigged Lizard. We had one other keeper and 2 short fish. I think had we been fishing the rig earlier we would of done better. The water temp is in the low 50s and you can see around 3 feet. We are only a few weeks from great fishing however this weekend cold front will slow things down again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The tournament weights have been in the low to mid 20s for a 5 fish limit. Darn power trim went out on my boat so I have to take it to the shop to get it fixed. It has been super windy and one front chasing another but the reports have been real good. I hope to get on the water tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Happy Easter Everyone!!!
    I have not been able to fish the past few days and I am really feeling the effects. I had a friend call me and he caught lots of Crappie yesterday. Some friend didn't bring me a mess by or ask me to go. He was probably fishing one of those secert spots. The weather has been up and down and the fish are about the same one day chicken one day feathers. Next week things will probably go nuts but I don't care I will be sitting in the woods on Monday waiting on a Gobbler. I saw two big Gobblers by the house the other day. Does anyone know if it legal to hunt with a cross bow during gun season?

Anyone finding any mushrooms? I have heard of a few being found.

Catch Hogs
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The wind has been terrible yesterday 25mph with big gusts. Did finally get to go fishing as my boat is finally back from the shop. I did catch some real nice bass yesterday with a 4 lb being my biggest. All of the fish were males the big girls are going to move up any day to spawn. We have had a real late spring and the water is just now getting into the high 50s. The spring fishing is going to be red hot and over in a real short time. Crappie are on the banks one day then the next out deep but the ones that are getting caught are really big. Next week should be great fishing so take off work and head to the lake. Tell them you have a doc appointment just don't tell them boat dock. Everyone have a safe trip down and make sure to Catch Hogs !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After several days of high winds I was finally able to go out and enjoy some great fishing. The bite was on tonight. I caught fish everywhere I went and on everything that I threw except for a spinnerbait. It rained off and on all day and really poured on my way in. I waited just a few minutes to long to head for home.The bass all males it seemed are heading to the shallows getting things ready for the girls. I caught at least 20 bass 7 of which were keepers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did not fish yesterday had to help the wife get ready for the weekend. I had a good day Thursday caught lots of Bass several keepers but still no hogs. I must be holding my mouth wrong or somthing. I am seeing lots of bass deep on beds but most look to be males. Water temp is in the low 60s now but it has rained about every day and the water has lots of leaves and junk floating in it. I like it when the wind blows in in pockets and the fish start holding under it. I had a Musky that looked to me about 35lbs charge out after a spinnerbait one day in the fall. Then do its thing and sit ther in the water looking up at you then slowly sink away. Musky sightings in this lake are very rare. I have only seen 3 in all of the 30 years that I have fished this lake.
    Crappie fishing: My brother in law is down and has been catching them but not setting the world on fire.

Gone fishin!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yesterday caught fish in the backs of coves on a pink bubble gum worm. I was fishing it wacky style pitching it under boat dock ramps. Biggest fish was I quess using the offical calibrated arm around 4.5 lbs. I am starting to see more and more beds. Friends tell me that they are catching fish on a rig on the secondary points. The fish have been moving in and out on that pattern for a few weeks now. I just talked to a couple of fisherman fishing my dock and they said today was slow. Makes sence I am on a straight chunk rock bank with water 20 ft under my dock. Commen mistake I see on this lake is that fisherman fish the bank to tight and actually have their boat almost sitting on top of the fish and the structure. Therefore they never are really fishing the structure. Hum makes you think. That is really more true most of the time other than the spring time.

Take a kid fishing and have the time of your life, OR someone like me that is a old man that likes to fish lots too.

Catch Hogs
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Catching buck bass in the shallows and a few keepers (15" or bigger) Lots of fun action I probably caught at least 40-50 bass yesterday in the time I was out with 1 out of ten being a keeper.

Gone Fishin!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow Wow is what I have to say about the fishing yesterday. I should of bought Power Ball tickets yestreday. I did not get to go out until 10:30am and what a day I had. The bass were on a Zara * big time. I am sure that it is the feed before the spawn and the moon will be right to send them to the beds this weekend. I caught at least 15 keepers and I have no idea how many shorts. There is nothing better to fish than a topwater bait. I fish the Zara lots and it is a great big fish bait. I caught 2 around 5 and several over 3 during mid day all you needed was a little shade or a tree hanging over a sea wall. What a great day! I was counting the minutes until today ready to go but I woke to SEVERE thunderstorms moving through the area. That sucks that will fix the fishing for a while.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Isn't the Zara * one of the "old timers" like a Creek Chub, Paw-Paw ect? They were good lures in their day and intrest got lost in the modern era. I have heard some storys about those big old wood baits!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes you are correct old school fishing lure.I do have some of the old wooden ones I have them hanging in my lure collection. They have been making plactic ones for probably 30 years and the old standard colors seem to work the best for me. On a rainy cloudy day I like to throw the clear yellow on a sunny day the fruit jar. It is a hard lure to beat and always good when the time is right for a big fish. I have caught big Pike and Muskys in Canada on them. Them toothy critters bite holes in the plastic ones. When the ice is first out go to a shallow bay and fish a * hang on a big northern will get it. Just don't yank until you feel the weigh of the fish. People tend to yank when you hear the splash and pull it away from the fish. Big Stripers and Bass in this area. You have to learn how to walk the dog.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishing is ok but nothing really hot going on. You can catch lots of fish but big ones are hard to find. The Oak and Hickory trees are doing their bloom thing and covering everything with yellow pollen. Those P.I.A.blooms make top water fishing almost impossible also. Oh the problems of spring fishing. Been catching the bass on a speed worm a great bait made by Zoom. I can't wait to give them a try on those Smallmouth up north this year. I have a Canada trip schedule for mid July this year first trip up there for me in a few years. I can't wait to catch some of those long fish with TEETH. You know those big things that follow you to the boat and try to stare you down. I love catching Bass but there is something about catching those Musky that make me sit and smile.

Catch Hogs
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tell us about a speed worm! I know Speed Spools and Speed Sticks but I have never heard of a speed worm, sounds interesting!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Speed worm is another great product made by ZOOM. It is a small paddle tail worm that can be fished many diffrent ways. I got smoked by a guy a couple of years ago and learned real quick that the worm is a good one. The little tail puts off vibrations as you pull it thru the water. I know that it can be rigged several diffrent ways but I personally like to Texas rig it using a 3 or 4 Gamakatsu wide gap worm hook.Gamakatsu wide gap worm hooks are by far the best hook on the market in my opinion. Yes they are a little expensive but they are super sharp and I have never had one break. I like the wide gap hook because they seem to penetrate better. You will need pliers to remove them from a fish most of the time. The string trick will help remove them from your hand also. Speaking from experience just last week. There are a million diffrent lures out there and they all seem to be good but confidence is the best lure in your tackle box. This little worm will catch all sizes of Bass and I bet all kinds too.

Good Fishin !!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You said the main word, CONFIDENCE. I have seen times I believe I could catch bass on a lit cigar! Other times I couldn't catch one with dynamite when someone in the boat with me was nailing them!
    I went on a charter boat in the Chesapeake Bay last week and we caught 12 big ole stripers 36-42"(Here they call them Rock Fish).
    You talk about no confidence! Trolling in the middle of the bay with big ole wire rigs that looked like umbrellas with Sassy Shads with no hooks and one long leader with a hugh jig-bucktail-sassy shad. They like it but is isn't like an alumacraft and a Arkansas Hog caller![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Those Stripers know how to stretch your string. We do not have the pure Striper here at the lake we have Hybrids and Whites but I have caught them before. I caught them on a * years ago and that was a blast. They were in this lake in the 70s but were only stocked for a few years and that was it. I think that at one time the Striper record for Missouri was held here but the state record hybrid @ 20.8 is currently held here at the lake. Records or not they are fun to catch!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A 20# hybrid would be like setting the hook on a submarine. We had them for a few years in north Louisiana, lot of people didn't like them but I loved them. I had a couple of years chasing schools of White Bass also. They are great on the table. Lot of meat on a small fish. (Biggest Hybrid I ever caught was probably 3 or 4 pounds)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A 20# hybrid would be like setting the hook on a submarine. We had them for a few years in north Louisiana, lot of people didn't like them but I loved them. I had a couple of years chasing schools of White Bass also. They are great on the table. Lot of meat on a small fish. (Biggest Hybrid I ever caught was probably 3 or 4 pounds)
    I have caught quite a few good ones my personal best was a 14 that I caught several years ago. The white bass fishing is hit and miss in the fall. In the cove I live in they sometimes get so thick that you look like you could walk on them. When they do get in here it usually last a few weeks and it sure is fun. The hybrids usually run with the whites and hang underneat them when they are schooling. Learn how to use your electronics and have a blast.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The lake is real high and muddy. We have got almost 6 inches of rain in the past 24 hrs. This past weekend was to busy to go fishing however it would of probably been a waste of time. The lake this weekend was covered with every type of wave maker you could ever find. We have boats from wave runners to ocean going crafts everywhere. We have the lake to ourself for 9 months a year and then the monsters arrive. Years ago I would of been out there with the best of them. Now I hit the back porch with a barley pop and watch the people get beat to death.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did get out yesterday only to wish I had stayed at home. Oh the fish were biting pretty good. I caught a few on a * then changed to a plastic worm. My neigbor had a better luck on a June bug with red flake worm than I. The water visibilty is about 1 foot or less. I should of stayed home because I got a telephone call just as I made a cast as soon as I answered I saw he line twitch of course you set the hook the phone goes flying makes one bounce on the boat deck then swims to the bottom of the lake. I have now put not 1 or 2 but 3 phones in the lake and they all sink the same. The fall out of sight fluttering back and forth like a leaf falling from a tree. Well back to the house only to hear you did what again and then off to the telephone store to spend some hard earned cash.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took some newly weds out last night. Lucky boy his wife is into the outdoors she likes to hunt and fish. Only thing she shot a bigger buck than he did last year and caught a bigger bass than he did last night. Can this cause conflict down the road? He was good with the "Good Cast Honey" and "That is a Great Fish" last night. Will he
    keep this up is the question? I think he will and as well he should. They are a great couple and deserve to have a great long outdoor life. Thanks to this couple for allowing me to share this time with them.
    Oh the fishing part. It was their first time fishing a plastic worm for bass. We fished a Zoom Junebug with red fleck 10 inch worm with. The bass were biting and hanging in the brush. The biggest problem is the Zebra mussels are covering the older brush and when you get a fish in the brush they tend to saw you off. With the water color we have the heavy line will have to come out and I will give them hell another day.

Good fishing
    Catch Hogs
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been out the past couple of evenings and the fishing has been good. Fished a buzz bait last night with a little success. The fish seem to be holding on windy points. The worm bite was a little slower but the fish that we caught were good solid fish. The fish appear to be rebounding after the spawn. Probably caught a total of 15 bass 10 of which were keepers. Big boats are a pain and you got to love the jet skies tooooooo.

Good Fishin!