In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lake Ozark Fishing

Comments

• Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the comment I eally enjoy the great outdoors.There really is nothing better than spending time with a good friend on the lake or just being out by yourself. I look back all the time and compare this year to the past.It is amazing how things follow patterns. I fish less now but I think that I am a smarter fisherman. I hope to make it out on the lake today but I have got to go to St. Louis first. Hopefully it will be a quick trip. I haven't fished in over a week and today is going to be a good one weather wise so I hope to go. I will be starting out at zero as I know that the patterns have changed since my last trip out. Which as I remember correctly wasn't to good anyway. Oh well a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.
    I finally made it back from the woods and yes there is deer meat in the freezer not a big buck but a tasty Doe. Looks like filets tonight.

quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    It's been a very cool past 1.5 hrs...Reading your almost daily fishing reports for Lake Of The Ozarks.U have done a great job of chronicling the past 3 years of fishing.
    Thanks for the great reports, keep'um coming!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went out last night the water temp is 57 and stained. Fished for about an hour and finally caught a good one on a secondary point off some brush. It was a nice fish around 4 lbs. I had hopes of fishing pretty much of the day away today but the weather is cool,windy with rain off and on. I think I will hit the work shop instead as my wife has been hinting about an bench for Christmas. However I probably should go and fish as they should be turned on right now with the weather changing don't you know. I hope that the water clears up before it turns cold for the jerk bait fishing this winter.

Have a good one!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did break down and go this afternoon for a little bit. Went I went to the dock the water looked like it had dropped 9 inches. Now that is hard to believe that they can drop a lake this big that much in 24 hours. The wind was really blowing and I went out to fish a main lake point. Caught one about 3 lbs in the first 10 min then I had a realy good drag pulling heading to deep water fish AND #@%$&!! the fish got off. I was not dressed for the wind and ended up coming home. The water temp was 53 a drop of 4 degrees from last night. I was slow rolling a KVD spinner bait and my neighbor was fishing a crank bait. Hopefully tomorrow will be better day. I did also have a crappie on the spinnerbait that had to go at least 2 lbs. Cold boat ride on the way home good thing about it no $%!#@% waverunners and monster boats tonight.
  • Options
    bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happy Thanksgiving Sir!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you and the same to all of you!!!!!quote:Originally posted by bigbill0910
    Happy Thanksgiving Sir!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jerk baits and slow rolled spinnerbaits is the ticket now at the lake. It seems the bass are liking the big rocks on the main lake more for me now. The lake has been cooling off and the shad have moved out so with them the bass will go. This weekend it took 5 fish that weighed 21 lbs to win a tournament. I can't wet a line today but tomorrow it is going to be nice and I hope to make it out. Water temp in the lower to mid 50s and slightly stained.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishing days are getting thin !! I went out Tuesday afternoon and the fish won ZIP ZERO @$#%^#. I didn't really give it the full effort I just fished a few main lake points and then went home. Somehow I have goofed my casting arm up and I can hardly make a cast. Maybe a few days of cold now won't tempt me and I can give it some needed rest. I saw the first flurries of the season yesterday and the chill is in the air. Warm fire good fishing book might be what the doc would order NO NO NO I sure it would be loose weight,exercise more and never eat anything that taste good. What in the #%@! does a T bone have to do with a sore arm I ask.

Have a great day!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well the fish are not biting for me but I know people that are catching them. Some fish over 6 lbs are being caught on jigs anywhere from 2 to 10 feet. The fish seem to be holding on brush or bigger rocks. Jigs and spinnersbaits seem to be the ticket but the spinnerbait has to be slowed rolled. This is an outstanding fall early winter and early spring pattern. I am sure that the water temp will be in the upper 40s after tonight but who knows. I was on the upper end of the lake not fishing yesterday and the water was much clearer than this end. Hopefully the cleaner water continues to move down the lake.The water color would be great in the spring but it is not so good for the fall. I hope that I can make it out in the next couple of days and catch a fish or two I need a fishing fix.

Catch a big one and have a great time!!!!
    Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great Day got to go fishing !!! Caught 3 bass and a crappie in about 2 hours . The water temp is 47.6 warmer than I thought it would but not clear enough for my liking. I didn't get to go until late in the day this working thing is getting in the way of fishing . I think had I been out around noon it would of been better. I caught the bass on a brush hog and a jerk bait. The crappie bit on the jerk bait also. I didn't try to fish for crappie I think that might of been productive had I tried it.
    Please join my Facebook page as I am making a donation to The United Services for the Handicapped for anyone that joins. The Facebook page is Bass and Baskets.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went out this morning and froze my #%@ off. It started to sleet so I headed for the fire. Water surface temp this morning was 46. I had one bite it was a good fish I thought until it got to the boat and found out it was a 5 lb drum,. I glad it did a quick release so I didn't have to mess with the rubber lips. I think I will put the rods up fo a while Muzzle loader starts tomorrow and I still have a any deer tag to fill.
    Don't forget to please join my facebook page Bass and Baskets.
    Have a great Holiday Season.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh woe is me ! It is unreal how things change so quickly. Wednesday was warm in the 50s no wind just a great day to go fishing. Did not go now it has gone and turned into winter. WoW the wind is wipping the snow is flying and it is colder than a well diggers @$$. The temp is in the teens and the wind is blowing about 30. Did not get a single fishing item for christmas this year. Really don't need anything but can a person really have too much. Oh wait I did get several hundred in gift cert from Bass Pro I guess that would count.
    Oh Shopping Spree Oh Shopping Spree lets go to Bass Pro and see what I need. A new rod might be in the store or some lures I adore
    Oh Shopping Spree Oh Shopping Spree I will buy more things I don't need

Have a great Christmas
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not really fishing related but Happy New Year !!! I failed to make it down to the boat dock this last week of the year. I had plans today but I had to go to Springfield Mo today and going to Tulsa tomorrow. I talked to a friend today and he told me the the Crappie fishing is excellent. He said that they are staged on the dark side of the dock on the main lake banks. He is mainly catching them on tubes and they are good ones. Best tasting fish of the year right now I would have to say. The forcast says the new year will start out super cold but maybe next week it will warm a little. In this area if you don't like the weather today don't worry it will change tomorrow. UNLESS you have something that you really want to do.

Again The best to all of you in 2010. Happy New Year !!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The lake is just about shut down. Lots of ice in the coves and bitter temps will keep the fisherman in the house. I went below the dam yesterday to take eagle pictures and I saw a man fishing. He told me that he was catching a few bass and crappie. I had considered going today but we got a snow storm last night and I will get to spend much of the day cleaning the drive. I believe that this cold spell will make the fishing better once the lake thaws and you can try it again. Have a good one !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hope everyone had a great Holiday Season !!!

Well Well Well looking out today all of the ice is gone. That means fishing tomorrow. I did go out yesterday and * baited a little with no success but tomorrow I can feel it in my bones will be a better day. The water color is a little dingy and the water temp is in the mid 30s will they bite? I need to get out on the main lake points and channel swings and hope to find shad. Find shad this time of the year and you will more than likely find the bass. I have had it with this cold weather. Bought a new rod this week and hope to break it in right.
    When you think you are fishing slow enough fish a little bit slower.

Lets go fishing!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went out for a few hours yesterday. Again the weatherman did not hit the nail on the head. It was predicted to be in the 50s never made it even close. Snow flurries, misty cold rain and east wind can you say diaster. Never could find shad I looked on main lake points, wind blow points,channel swings and anywhere else that I could think of. I did get a couple of bites on a jig but on the first one I admit I was asleep at the real and the other one I broke off on a hook set. You have got to retie once in a while when fishing brush piles because of the zebra muscles here. You know when it is cold you don't always think .

Water temp: 36.5
    Color: clear to stained
    Air Temp 38 and slight breeze overcast

Would of been better use of time to stay at home and work on taxes. That is how bad and miserable it was. It is raining today dang I hate to get wet when it is this cold. You think I would learn.

Have a great day
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think that I need to be commited. I fished yesterday for about 3 hours and never caught a fish. I had one bite I think but not really sure. It is hard to feel a fish bite when you are shivering. The rest of this week is going to be colder yet so the boat will stay on the lift until next week. I like winter fishing and I have had good success in the past but not so far this year. It seems I am having a hard time adjusting to the cold for some reason.
  • Options
    Ranger ManRanger Man Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fishing is tuff everywhere except south texas. 36 degrees is terrible.

I just returned from Lake Fork and surface temp was 42. The water hasnt been that cold there since '86.

Monticello was 78 [:D] we nailed their *'s.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ranger Man

I just returned from Lake Fork and surface temp was 42. The water hasnt been that cold there since '86.

It is terrible but will only improve. I use to fish Fork in the early 90s I have had some real good trips. I have not been there for over 10 years. I bet the place has change a bunch. I had a friend catch a 10 lb bass while eating a ham sandwich. It was Mid day and as soon as he casted he just let his sluggo sink.He picked up his sandwich and started having lunch. I bet his bait just sat there for a good ten minutes. When he picked up his rod it was on like donkey kong.Biggest bass of the trip. I tried the sandwich pattern several times after that and never got a bite. I will never forget one of the first times I had met him. I got paired up with him in a bass tournament when he first started fishing. We were fishing along some railroad rip rap and here comes this great big snake swimming by. I hate snakes so I said I wish I had a gun I kill that SOB as it swam toward the boat. All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye. I see Gene as far to the side of the boat as possible pointing a 38 getting ready to blast away. He didn't shoot thank god but from that day we never let him forget it. Gene was always a good time may he RIP.
    Monticello never had the pleasure to fish it. I bet that was a good time. It is always good when you catch them.
  • Options
    Ranger ManRanger Man Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Liv2Fish
    quote:Originally posted by Ranger Man

It is terrible but will only improve. I use to fish Fork in the early 90s I have had some real good trips. I have not been there for over 10 years. I bet the place has change a bunch. I had a friend catch a 10 lb bass while eating a ham sandwich. It was Mid day and as soon as he casted he just let his sluggo sink.He picked up his sandwich and started having lunch. I bet his bait just sat there for a good ten minutes. When he picked up his rod it was on like donkey kong.Biggest bass of the trip. I tried the sandwich pattern several times after that and never got a bite. I will never forget one of the first times I had met him. I got paired up with him in a bass tournament when he first started fishing. We were fishing along some railroad rip rap and here comes this great big snake swimming by. I hate snakes so I said I wish I had a gun I kill that SOB as it swam toward the boat. All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye. I see Gene as far to the side of the boat as possible pointing a 38 getting ready to blast away. He didn't shoot thank god but from that day we never let him forget it. Gene was always a good time may he RIP.
    Monticello never had the pleasure to fish it. I bet that was a good time. It is always good when you catch them.

Fork has changed some. The fishing has gotten alot slower, use to go there and catch 20+ a day, now 10 fish a day is good. Its still the crown jewel of TPW and the Sabine river authority, and produces alot of big fish.

[:D] The sandwich pattern. Had a buddie that was pouring some Canadian whiskey in his beer while fishing Fork and caught a 11 something, we called it the boilermaker bite. [:)]

O.H. Ivie is hot now, will head there in a month or so.

Good fishing...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had to dig myself out yesterday from the snowstorm we got Friday. I am starting to really dislike winter. Afternoon we had a perfect day going it was in the low 30s but it was sunny and zero wind. It was really nice and there was not a ripple on the water. So I cleaned the walf to the boat dock then went fishing for a couple of hours. I never caught a bass but I did catch a bunch of crappies. i had several that were over a pound and a quarter. I caught them all of of the same brush pile. The pile was loaded with them. I hope to go today but th cove froze over last night. The lake has been froze over more this year than ai ever rememeber. I know it is that Global warming thing that is causing it.

Water temp 34.5 and just a little stained heck call it clear.

6 more weeks of winter
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The durn lake went and got hard again!!! Oh well I guess it is still winter here in the midwest.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No fishing still and that Sucks!!!! The cove is iced in and just when it is starting to thaw the temp is going to drop again. We got a snow storm Friday and tonight we are going to get it again. Will it ever end?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Live, are you getting that bad storm there on this Monday?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes we got a snow storm on Monday it really was not to bad. Bummer again the temp has dropped so any open water we had in our cove is gone. Oh well starting to get use to it. The main lake is still open but there is no way I can get to the main channel from here. The temp is in the teens and it was so windy the birds were walking so by the fire is the place to be.

Thinking about fishing!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1st bass of the year FINALLY. It wasn't a big one but it had fins and was swimming. I had about a 10 by 10 spot of open water by my dock and could not stand it any longer. Thank god for little favors.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The ice is breaking up a little. I went out yesterday and finally was able with some good luck get my boat off my lift. The ice has melted about a half a cast length from the bank. I hope that it drifts out of the cove today as the main lake is pretty well open. they have dropped the lake about 7 foot. In the past few weeks they have dropped the lake about 7 feet, This is a normal thing they do each winter so people can work on their shoreline and get ready for the spring rains. I need a fix of crappie filets dipped in beer batter need I say french bread and banana peppers?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds good. No better fish to eat. Bread and butter pickles are a great extra.[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Watched the second day of the Bassmaster Classic. Those boys are unreal. Our hometown boy Denny Bauer got blanked both days that is unbeliveable. It just wasn't his type of fishing I guess. KVD fishing a lipless crankbait in that cold water and he is not realing it slow go figure. It just seems to fast to me but he knows what he is doing . I would of thought that he would of been using a jerk bait but what do I know. I know that he likes to fish a jerk bait.
    Years ago a Red Rattle Trap was the ticket down at Lake Fork. I remember we just cranked it fast enough to keep it ticking the tops of the weeds.
    I wish we had weeds here at the lake. At one time in the 70s this lake was full of weeds and they sprayed the whole lake. Now mind you Lake of the Ozarks is not a small lake it has over 1400 miles of shoreline and is 82 miles long. I bet they had to use a big spray bottle. It is amazing that to this day you see very very little weeds. That had to be some bad * chemicals to last that long.No wonder I glow at night.
    Oh by the way the water temp is 36 about the same as the air temp. The lake is clear I say you can see about 4 feet deep. The ice is melting out of the cove finally. I did go out yesterday and fished a little. I thought for sure that I would catch some crappie WRONG again. I did catch 1 keeper bass on a jerk bait. The fishing was great but the catching was not so good. Hope to make it out today if it stops raining. I really don't like to fish in the rain and in the cold . I guess that is the old man in me showing my age. Could that be a smart thing? I was told that I would grow up someday and think better. Imagine that It only took 57 years to get there.

Have a great day!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I finally went fishing and I actually banged them real good. No not bass but the good eating kind big old Crappie. The lake has been freezing over each night but around 2 it opens. Yesterday I took the neighbor out and we found a big bunch of Crappie off of a secondary point. We caught our limits in about an hour and a half. i know that we had to of caught weel over 75 fish. Not bad for me I am not a perch jerker by any means. It was a good time and I know tonight will be even better. Beer Batter fish Cold Bud Light and a great wife what more can a guy ask for? With the weather warming up I expect to start catching some big bass it is that time.
    Water temp is in the mid 30s and the lake is clear but with a goofy water color is kind of milky if that makes any sense.
    Guys here is the deal. It is time to go fishing you have straightened you tackle box for the last time get out and give her hell. If any of you are in the lake area give me a call I can usually think up an excuse not to work but to go wet a line.
    I have to figure this picture posting thing out as a picture is worth a thousand words.

Good Fishing !!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tried to catch some bass yesterday Note I said tried! I caught one that was barely a keeper and that was it. I drug a jig around a bunch of brush piles and threw a jerk bait on lots of secondary points. I really can not believe that I can not catch them. I have had lots of calls from really good fisherman with the same question. It seems like nobody is catching bass right now at least the people I know. Today there is a Central Pro Am tournament and I will say that someone will catch them and they will have 5 fish that total over 20lbs.It will be a tough tournament lots of guys will not get a bite. But I will bet you one thing they all won it in their dreams last night. I hear the boats running down the lake right now. It is 36 outside and the lake has skim ice in my cove I assume that most of the lake will be the same. I am sure glad that it is them and not me. No I am not I would love to be out there shivering shaking. I hope that they enjoy themselves and have the time of their life I did. I think I will sit by the fire and have another cup of coffee and wait until it is warm to wet a line.
    Life is good when you live at the lake!
    Good Fishing
    Catch Hogs!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Crappie fishing is hot if you know where to look. I went out yesterday and went to the honey hole and caught a limit of nice slabs in less than a half an hour. The bass fishing is still way tough. Water surface temp made it to the 40s in the protected pockets yesterday and there is no ice on the lake this morning.
    With a warming trend with some rain this week should get things started for the bass towards the end of the week. Iwould like to get out and fish some farm ponds as they should be getting red hot about now.

Have Fun
    Catch Hogs
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally!Finally!Finally!
    I was able to go fishing finally I made it on the water yesterday. It was not just fishing it was catching too. I had 9 keeper bass in about 3 hours several of them over 4 lbs. A keeper here at Lake of the Ozarks is bigger than 15 inches. The water temp is 41 to 43 and the water is clear. The pattern for the day was a suspending jerk bait fished on 8 lb test and the fish were nere brush piles in shallow water. The weather was cloudy in the 40s and a wind from the north 5 to 15. Good day yesterday bit the best is yet to come. I was talking to some fisherman from Kentucky last night and they had not done very good.Nope I didn't let out the scoop as I have a friend that is fishing the tournament too. They are fishing the Stren Series this weekend and I told them it would take over 20lbs a day to lead and they said yea right. We will see we will see.

Great Fishing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been out of town more than in but I finally was able to hit thie lake the past few days. With water temps in the mid 40s still the bass bite has been slow. I have been catching a few on jerk baits but nothing to brag about. It has been a tough year so far for me.
    Spoonbill: Snagging season opened the 15th of March and they really sacked them up. Weird looking fish and they say they are great to eat. I know that there was at least 100 boats lined up and a 100 plus people on the shore. Now mind you thet they are not 50 to 70 yards apart. Now add in that they are using these monster fishing rods throwing 8 oz lead weights with monster treble hooks at each other. I am really suprised that someone doesn't get killed from a loose weight. Oh forgot to add that it is a huge party opening day - night. Yes I did say night this all takes place starting at midnight.

Crappie fishing: If you know where the brush is you can catch them pretty good on a horse head jig. However they are on one spot today and another one tomorrow. I did talk to someone that has been catching them on a jig and a cork pretty good too.

I have been seeing lots of fish suspended under my boat dock when I am down there above the brush almost just under the surface. Things are looking up in the fishing world. Raining here today no lets change that to pouring guess I will hit the workshop today instead.

NAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Catch hogs
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good morning everyone!!!! Finally a day off from my part time work!!
    Went fishing yesterday and really sacked them up. I have been fishing a little and cstching a lot of crappie but ther has been little to no bas action for me. Well life was good yesterday. Got on the water yesterday around 2:30 and spent about 2 hours fishing a jig and a spinnerbait catching only one fish. I was fishing onw more spot then heaading home and that is where I found them. I ended up catching 23 bass in a little pocket not much bigger than my house. The fish were stacked in there like cord wood.The water tem has jumped to the mid 50s and the bass are on the feed. caught all of the fish on a red eye shad.I used the same method as KVD used in the Bassmaster Classic. These fish were in a little shallow spot chacing shad. The KVD methiod is make a long cast sweep you rod then reel to catch up sweep again and repeat. They would really slam it. I guess those fishing show are good to watch sometime. Helping the patten was a 20 mph wind blowind into the pocket and lots of shad.
    Can't wait to hit it today as this could be wild I have several spots just like it. This should be a good good Friday !

Catch Hogs
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, how did it go today Liv2Fish?! [:)] Did you get into them again?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Water Temp:52 to 59 depending on what side of the lake you are on.
    Color: Clear to stained

The fishing has been good. I am catching lots of bass on a bunch of diffrent patterns. Wind has been the major key. I would venture to say I have caught 75 bass in the past few days and over 50% have been keepers. The biggest was a 7lb 4oz caught on Good Friday.

Have fun
    Time to go fishing!
    Lets Go!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Liv2Fish
    Water Temp:52 to 59 depending on what side of the lake you are on.
    Color: Clear to stained

The fishing has been good. I am catching lots of bass on a bunch of diffrent patterns. Wind has been the major key. I would venture to say I have caught 75 bass in the past few days and over 50% have been keepers. The biggest was a 7lb 4oz caught on Good Friday.

Have fun
    Time to go fishing!
    Lets Go!

Talk about the good life...you've got it made!! [:)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    hey...where ya at liv 2 fish...i'm close by there alot...we can go fishin and meet up[:)]
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    hey feller...where'd you go...?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    hey feller...where'd you go...?

I'm waitin' for him to come back too. [:D]
    What's next?