In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lake Ozark Fishing

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have not fished that lake since the 70's, before I left Missouri. Your posts bring back memories of some fine big crappie and tasty bluegill. Thanks for the memories! Maybe one day I will try it again. Nawww, who needs jetskis in the fishin' hole.
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worm fishin is Hot! Hot! Hot! I took a guest out yesterday in the middle of the day and we caught 15 to 20 bass. Great fishing for this time of the year in my book. I guess I will have to be forced to go out again today.

HeDog there is still a bunch of monster Crappie in this lake I had someone catch one that would go over 2 lbs off the dock on a bass crankbait day before yesterday. I too fished this lake in the 70s that was the time when the lake had weed beds and no monster boats. Tooo bad the big boats did go away instead of the weed beds. Come go fishing sometime off season it is still peacefull Fall Spring Winter especially during the week.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might take you up on that some time. I kinda like deer hunting in Missouri, maybe I could come home with a cooler full of fish and venison! You say you are down around the dam? Used to play drums in a band in a club kinda down below the dam. forget the name of the club now, didn't get paid much, but got the use of a cabin and a boat while we were booked and we usually played a couple of weeks two or three times a summer. That was late 60's and sometimes the fishing was fine!
    edited November -1
    Took a young couple out tonight from Minnesota. They learned that you can catch a fish on a plastic worm. It is amazing how diffrent people fish. Nice couple he likes to fish and she wants him to do what makes him happy. Time will make things change I will bet you.
    edited November -1
    Damn just about to hot to go fishing but who can stand not to go. You can catch bass on the worm still. The lake is stained and wavy(thanks to all of the big boats out there) but you still can catch them. Big Crankbaits are working on the main lake. I guess I could now go ocean fishing I know how to ride the surf. No kidding weekends are now no fishing Tuesday Wednesday and Thursdays are the best days. Caught a few good ones the other evening 12 to 15 feet deep in brush on a worm.They have been running lots of water through the damn and this helps the crankbait bite on the main lake points. When you find them you can usually catch quite a few.

Have a good one good fishing
    Count Down To Canada is On!!!!!!
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you going to post from Canada?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigbill0910
    Are you going to post from Canada?
    Who know what will happen. I haven't got to go in several years because of our business and my wife tells me that I should not be going this year also. Sure going to miss her. Next year we are planning a mid Sept.trip. That way we can do a little hunting also I hope. Oh that sure going to miss her was just for that week you know my wife is great!!!!!!
    edited November -1
    To busy to go fishing.The report is the fish are still biting. They are caching them on Crank baits (DD 22) on the main lake points and the 10 inch worm. The big boats have been out daily and the fishing is early or at night. Starting to prepare for my trip up north lots to do.
    edited November -1
    You got to go early or fishi the midnight shift now that summer is here. Still catching them on the worm and crankbait. Not real hrd to catch a limit. It takes about 15 lbs to win one of the weekly night tournaments now. The water has cleared up quite a bit. The blasted zebra mussels are the biggest pain and are keeping the bait companys in business. You have to constantly check your line and about one out of five hook sets you break off. 10" black blue fleck power worms or junebug seem to be the best for me. But what you have cofendience in works to.
    Have a good one
    Catch hogs
    edited November -1
    SUCKS from me now!! I guess I am spoiled from Canada. I went out last night and got blanked. we had had a severe thunderstorm just before I went out maybe that was the reason. Trying again tonight.
    edited November -1
    Out tonight a great night to fish stayed out until 1am. Caught one good one and two dinks. Water temp 82.6 and the lake is pretty clear I don't understand why the slow bite. I am sure that it had to happen I just wonder what time it happened. Well I guess I will have to try something else next time.

Good Fishing
    edited November -1
    Night fishing is fun. Hard to stay out in the middle of the night, but I never got up super early to catch the pre-dawn bite.
    SET THE HOOK!!!
    edited November -1
    Went out last night and things are starting to change. We have had some super storms the past few days and lots of the big boats have been off the lake. Thank God! I fished a few big docks and caught 15 bass nothing really big but 3 keepers. Lots of fun. The big docks set in 40 to 50 foot of water and the bass are holding on the outside corners. They will hit a Chug Bug or a Pop R. I really enjoy catching them on top water no matter what size they are. This pattern will hold until the weather and water turns cold. I know I could swim a jig or fish a shallow running crankbait and have good success but I would rather catch them on the top anyday. Hope to go out in the early am tomorrow. State Fair today with the wife Just think Corn Dogs,Lemonade and sore feet, My wife doesn't know it but there is stock car races tonight SUPRISE!
    edited November -1
    Faihed this morning it was FOGGY. Caught 3 keepers and a few short fish. No real patter going this morning. Daught fish on a Pop R,Worm amd a crankbait. Biggest fish a 4# on a 10"powerworm in a brushpile. Not a bad morning. Starting to see some big schools of shad.
    edited November -1
    Dock pattern getting better by the day. I fished them the mid day and had to fish a weightless Senko instead of a topwater bait. The fish are there but they move with the wind. They are located some days on the front of the docks others on the back of the docks.
    I have a friend that has been catching crappie off of boat docks that are in real deep water. The fish are stacked up on hanging brush in 15ft of water over 60 to 90 ft of water. He has been catching limits of crappie 10" to 13" great eaters ever day he is able to go.
    Water temp here is 78-80 and the water is pretty clear. After next weekend things will really start to slow down here. NFT (No Fricken Tourist) day is next Tuesday for the locals but I hate to see them go. We stay pretty busy until mid Nov. Thats good for me as that is good fishing and good hunting time. Got several fishing trips lined up for the fall looking forward to that. I have been thinking about loading the boat this fall one day and go about 50 miles from here to another lake to Musky fish a day or two. That will probably never happen but good in thought.

Life is good when you live at the lake.
    Catch Hogs
    edited November -1
    The lake is finally back in the hands of the sportsman. The days of the monster boats are pretty well gone for the year. Weekends will still be a little rough especially on Saturday but then just a few a day rather than a fleet will be out. I am glad that my boat dock made it through the weekend. I have some minor repairs that will have to be made. The next few weeks the shad will really start to move to the coves and that is when things will really start to happen.
    edited November -1
    Just got in caught a bunch of fish this morning. We had some action on the big docks chug bug. The best fishing was on a 10 inch worm if 15 ft of water back in the coves a little. biggest fish today was a good solid 4 but I had one up to the boat much bigger and as usual the bigger one got away. Best 5 today would of went 13 maybe 14 not a winner but we would of got a check maybe. Hey got to go fishing anyway.

Catch Hogs
    edited November -1
    Went out tonight and it SUCKED.
    That is all I got to say about that!!!!
    edited November -1
    You should have used a "Frog colored Mo-Jammer"[:D]You will set the hook tomorrow![;)]
    edited November -1
    Fishing was tough for me today. We has about 20MPH winds and the fish were holding next to the docks. The poor guy that I had with me had a hard time casting and could not get his bait close enough to catch them. There was just no where to get out of the wind today so it was a long day for him. I ended up with 4 keepers and a few short fish but nothing to write home about. I really did try hard to get him to catch them it just didn't work out. Big fish seem to be hiding from me but things will only get better. Hey a bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.
    edited November -1
    Been hitting the lake a little. Saturday morning I went fishing with a friend it was a little windy to fish the dock pattern but we did catch some dinks. Yesterday I had a couple of good fish on a worm flipping some shallow docks and then tried the docks. I caught a bass on every corner it seemed. Most were dinks but if they have fins and swim that is ok by me. The tournament weights are starting to rise again as the water cools some. The fall is a wonderful time to fish at the lake.

Good Fishin
    edited November -1
    I have been out a little but the real big fish have gone into hiding. I had several calls this past week looking for big fish. Nothing happening that I could help with. They were fishing the Big Bass Bash It paid 50,000.00 for the biggest bass of the weekend. I would of like to fish it. Thank god for being out of town. But it would of only taken one cast to win it. I can still catch fish on the docks but the size has dropped. The water temp as dropped to 72 and the moon is full. We did get our first little cool front and it should change things soon. I went out tonight a just looked on the locator for shad schools. Got several fishing trips lined up for the next few weeks I sure hope things change for me. Not looking forward to the lake turning over but i did see signs of it today. That always makes the fishing real good Yea right! That will make it suck more. But then it will be over and things will really start happening.
    edited November -1
    Been fishing the past few days and it has been great. It is amazing how a few degrees of water temp drop changes things. The past few nights the Black Bass have been chasing shad in the backs of the coves. I have caught several three to four pounders and lots of dinks too. The bass ahve been hitting anything from a worm to Zara *. We have caught several large crappie on both crank baits and jerk baits. You just never know what you will catch when the fish are chasing shad. I expect the whites to really get with it next week. I want go out this morning but we have a major storm getting ready to give us a blast. Four to six inches of rain expected today lighting .
    Lets go fishing!
    edited November -1
    First really could shot of the year!!!! Yesterday afternoon the front rolled in after a couple days of mega rain. The lake has come up about a foot and a half and they are running water as fast as they can.Have a trip out this afternoon and hope to catch something rather than a cold. Main lake points and brush will be the ticket today. Last year I took this same man out and caught them on the docks he hopes that that is working today. I hope something is working. Water temp is 68 to 70 and pretty clear. I am seeing diffrent color water in the same coves I think that the rollover is starting.
    edited November -1
    Worms in the brush,Cranks in the backs and topwater on the docks. All seem to work yesterday pretty good. Caught a few real nice ones and lots of fun to catch ones. The gentleman I had out had a good time he said anyway I know I did. The good thing was he knew how to cast and take his own fish off. What a deal!!!!
    edited November -1
    68 water temp and the fish are biting. Come on down and have some fun. Got to go to Springfield MO.this morning have to wait until this afternoon to fish. I think a trip to Bass Pro is in order. Have you ever noticed you have bo koo jillion fishing lures but always throw that same bait? Pantic when you get close to running out. Then go buy the store out. I am in that situtation today got to have more Zoom Speed Worms can't live without them. Probably have 50 lbs of plastic worms in the boat but I will not fish them. Maybe I am having a break through they say you are on your way to recovery when you can admit that you have a problem. Wonder if that works with fishing stuff too. Better go Bass Pro opens a 8 !!
    edited November -1
    Been fishing every blasted day. The water temp has dropped every day but the fish are still biting. We have had nasty weather every day cold and rain has been the norm. Still catching fish on the chug bug and the speed worm. The biggest bass this week was a five pounder catching lots of fish but most are not keepers. Who cares they have fins and swim that is all that matters.
    edited November -1
    Still catching fish thank god. Yesterday we had a sunny day for a change hard to believe no rain. Caught fish by flipping under docks and then as the sun got lower on the Chug Bug.I am having lots of fish roll the bug but not connecting that makes your heart pound.I really like catching those green fish on topwater. With the sun the shad started showing again and that hopefully will get things going good. We are going to have few great days of weather but as luck would have it I have to go out of town.
    The water temp is in the low to mid sixty's and looking like it is going to flip as I am starting to see the change in color.I wish it would happen today then things would be back to normal when I get to fish again. I know the lake flips when the top layer of water is colder than the bottom and it happens at diffrent times in diffrent areas of the lake. Starting in the upper arms then working towards the dam. Just another excuse for me to use for non productive fishing times.

Gone Fishing
    Let's go sometime
    edited November -1
    The lake has flipped I think! If not fishing has gone in the tank for no reason. The water color change frpm Friday to Saturday and the fishing did too. Temp now is 60 to 62 and great color for a spring time spinnerbait bite. It just really does not seem to heelp much this time of the year. I have got use to fishing pretty clear water and it eally messes with you when it is off colored. Years ago I use to fish tournaments in the Alton pool of the Mississippi and the water looked like you could plow it and it never bothered me to bad. I did always look for the clear water up the creeks but clear on the Mississippi meant you could see about a foot at best.

Well now I guess I will not stop fishing for a couple more days then heading to Little Rock for The Short Track Nationals. Another one of my bad habits as my understanding wife says. Just love that dirt track racing Sprint cars are the favorite,
    edited November -1
    Wow what a diffrence a day makes. Went out tonight and caught them pretty good. It was a good time that is for sure. There was a tournament this weekend and a guy weighrd in 5 fish that weighed 26.99 lbs no one was even close. The scoop is that the fish were caught on a white spinnerbait with gold blades fishing balls of shad. Man I wish that I would of got into those fish. Pictures are on Alhonna Resort then click on tournaments. My neigbor was the unlucky 13 place.
    Well tomorrow is another day
    edited November -1
    Been catchng them real good everday. The biggest problem is what works today changes a little the next day. They have dropped the lake about a foot and a half and that really changes things. The fish have almost quit the worm and chugbug bite. Now a shallow running crankbait and a slow rolled spinnerbait seems to be the ticket. I have not really caught any hogs but lots of good keeper fish up to four pounds. The water temp is in the upper 50s and the weather is going to be great today so guess what I will be doing today. Looking out the back door today the lake is smooth and I see shad popping the top.
    Have a good one
    Getting ready to go
    edited November -1
    Fish gone wild yesterday. It was a windy day yesterday but the bass were on the prowl. I caught them real good on main lake wind blown points. It was one of those days that you would of love to share with someone. However it would of been like a first time deer hunter that shoots a 10 pointer the first time out. It doesn't happen all of the time. Every point seemed to have 2 or 3 bass on it. I was throwing a white Norman little N and they liked it. I have got to work today and leaving for Little Rock tomorrow morning. we have a great weather pattern for the rest of the week and I will miss it.
    Anyone that has the chance needs to load their boat and head to the lake it really doesn't get much better than this. Hope to get back from work with day light left to make a few casts.

Good Fishing
    Catch Hogs
    edited November -1
    Ok I what to know who did it ? While I was gone to some of the best Sprint Car races of the year in Little Rock some low down good for nothing came to the lake and stole all of the fish. Whoever you are you didn't get them allyou left a few small ones. Before I left the fishing was hot the weather is great and now it is not. I have been out the past few nights and I have caught little to nothing. It is hard to believe that things can change this much for me when the weather has been stable and we are in a warm trend in Nov. Well hopefully things will change today.
    edited November -1
    I sure wish I could say I did it, I havn't caught a bass in so long, I don't remember, do you push or pull when one gets on?[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigbill0910
    I sure wish I could say I did it, I havn't caught a bass in so long, I don't remember, do you push or pull when one gets on?[:(]
    You know that is a hard one!! All I know is what my wife says it is a jerk at one end of the line waiting on a jerk on the other end. Hope to get a little fishing in tonight but getting ready to head to Springfield Mo. first.
    edited November -1
    Fishing is terrible for me. I took out a gentleman yesterday while we did catch a dozen or so bass none of them amounted to much. Leaving for the woods today Deer season starts tomorrow. Water temp is 57 the lake is stained.
    edited November -1
    Back from the hunt. Saw lots of deer but the big one never came by. My brother in law shot a 10 pointer that had 11.5 inch tines and inside measurement of 18. It was rough scored around 150 nice for the area we hunt that is a monster. We had 5 diffrent game cam bucks that were all nice ones but that was the biggest one caught on cam. weather sucks for hunting and fishing right now rain rain rain. We have a problem with a creek where we hunt. Just a trickle most of the time but add a little rain and watch out. Got to work a few days here at the B&B and then heading out Friday for another hunt. If I wasn't sleeping with the boss I bet she would of already fired me for fishing and hunting all of the time.
    edited November -1
    What is your business Sir? Do you have a lodge or a camp? I have wanted to ask since I began posting.
    edited November -1
    My wife owns a Bed and Breakfast on beautiful Lake of the Ozarks.
    I just visit when I am not Hunting,fishing or racing.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    It's been a very cool past 1.5 hrs...Reading your almost daily fishing reports for Lake Of The Ozarks.U have done a great job of chronicling the past 3 years of fishing.
    Thanks for the great reports, keep'um coming!!!